• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX May 2019 Plains Severe Event

vanni9283

Reaction score
Video of Reed Timmer's rocket launch into the Linwood Tornado. He later confirmed that it measured 2D wind speeds in the EF4 range.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Dayton Ohio tornado has been upgraded to EF4. 170 mph.

0105cb9a5ec190a72836e904714ae1f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
looks like another heavy rain event in store for late next eek for the areas that simply don't need anymore... gfs has 9 to 11 inches over parts west ark, and oklahoma

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
From what I've heard, the EF4 upgrade was due to well built apartments unroofed with exterior walls destroyed and very high end tree damage (large trees reduced to shredded debarked snags) but I've yet to see photos from that area of the path; assuming it was part of the drone survey. There are parts of the path only apparently just now available to surveyors as they were blocked by debris for quite a while. Still stunned we didn't have fatalities from this.

vanni9283

Reaction score
From what I've heard, the EF4 upgrade was due to well built apartments unroofed with exterior walls destroyed and very high end tree damage (large trees reduced to shredded debarked snags) but I've yet to see photos from that area of the path; assuming it was part of the drone survey. There are parts of the path only apparently just now available to surveyors as they were blocked by debris for quite a while. Still stunned we didn't have fatalities from this.
I like the idea of running drones through areas that are inaccessible in the initial survey.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I do too, the image quality is even good enough that a few integrity questions may even be resolvable without a ground team. This has certainly been the year of drones and tornadoes.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A met at NWS Wilmington (OH) has released aerial survey photos from the Dayton tornado.

Also, YIKES at this close call

Back