• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX May 2019 Plains Severe Event

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
12z GFS held serve. Monday (5/20) and Wednesday (5/22) look downright violent. Yikes. Thursday (5/23) and Sunday (5/26) bear watching too. Still long range for now at least I guess.

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A week from today looks horrifying for classic tornado alley. Could potentially be an historic outbreak sequence IF things don't trend downwards (as they tend to) and extreme parameters produce all the high-ceiling results they're capable of. Always a monkey wrench to throw in the mix somewhere

kivey2969

Reaction score
Could these systems potentially affect the mid or deep south? If so, what areas? I know a lot could change. Just curious.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Severe probs on the entire day 4-8 outlook (and there will probably be some for the next few days after that too).

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This is confirmed to be the first time ever that all five days on the SPC D4-8 outlook have been highlighted with a severe risk. The outlook even says that a risk goes even beyond the Day 8 period. Wild stuff.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It could very well go all the way through next weekend. If it verifies this is gonna be a May 2003/May 2004 type of sequence (various dates from those months have been popping up as analogs).

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It could very well go all the way through next weekend. If it verifies this is gonna be a May 2003/May 2004 type of sequence (various dates from those months have been popping up as analogs).
Could these systems potentially affect the mid or deep south? If so, what areas? I know a lot could change. Just curious.
May 4th 2003 we got hit good with a ef4 12 fatalities here... it was a crazy 2 solid weeks of severe wx

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Next week: The Extended Range Tornado Forecast, a product from Northern Illinois University, shows that areas in RED will see a more active tornado risk compared to normal for next week. Not all areas in red will see a tornado, but that the conditions projected to be in place will lead to higher confidence of severe weather. Stay tuned. Next week looks active.

https://www.facebook.com/NorthCentralStormChasers/

60204289_2098034310497183_6540287150791852032_o.png

Argus

Reaction score

May 2003 affected multiple states on different days. It affected Georgia one day and Alabama the next.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
May 2003 affected multiple states on different days. It affected Georgia one day and Alabama the next.
The highest end threat is in the southern and central plains right now but it’s definitely possible that the mid-Mississippi valley and Hoosier Alley could be involved too

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
From what I've been reading, I guess the models really backed off.
It doesn’t look like quite as high end of an event, especially later in the week, but Monday and Tuesday could both present pretty robust threats still. This Friday is also a lower-end but still potent setup.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tomorrow seems a lot less potent than it did a few days ago, but undoubtedly at least a few tornadoes will occur. Classic medium range model downtrends

TornadoFan

Reaction score
From the latest Day 2 update:

Potential exists for a significant severe event across a portion of
NE, and a moderate risk will be considered in day 1 updates.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah I could see something getting going near the surface low and along the warm front up there. I’ve seen a few people indicate on twitter that that northern zone would be their preferred chasing target.

Back