• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX May 19-20, 2022 Severe Event

atrainguy

Reaction score
Already some pretty incredible footage coming out. Definitely had an unusual, wispy-looking appearance for a tornado of this strength. Also know Jordan Hall got it on his stream so can't wait to see his footage.

On another note, today reminds me of two particular setups. Boscobel WI 8/7/2021 in that the tornado was largely isolated, largely unexpected by forecasters and came out of a severe thunderstorm watch (IIRC), and 6/24/2010 in that there were significant tornadoes in the US and Germany (the Faith, SD EF2 and the Großenhain F3) on the same day.

Here's a couple excerpts of his footage.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Haven't heard any reports of tornado damage from Presque Isle so seems like they dodged a MAJOR bullet, though the supercell didn't leave without dropping some monster hail around that area. Unfortunately for Gaylord...

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Jordan Hall's video is incredible; here's some more footage. Honestly a candidate for "tornado footage of the year" in my opinion, after the Andover footage.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Update: my wife's family is all fine. The restaurant where my sister in law works (in the shopping center with the Hobby Lobby) is badly damaged, but her parents' businesses aren't damaged (as far as I know). Her mom's house lost its fence and its garage door and they lost power but it's intact and their pets are all unharmed. They live east of 75 and it seems like the most intense core of damage was concentrated west of 75.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Haven't heard any reports of tornado damage from Presque Isle so seems like they dodged a MAJOR bullet, though the supercell didn't leave without dropping some monster hail around that area. Unfortunately for Gaylord...
I think it passed north of Presque Isle, so it probably didn't hit much. There's not a lot there aside from trees and a few farms.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think it passed north of Presque Isle, so it probably didn't hit much. There's not a lot there aside from trees and a few farms.
Wonder if the CC drop came from it lofting trees/branches then, or if maybe it was related to the massive hailstones it was dropping during the same time it was tornado warned.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Meanwhile in Germany...a tornado passed through Lippstadt in Nordrhein-Westfalen (about 40 miles east of Dortmund).

Paderborn took a pretty significant hit as well; I have to wonder if it was the same tornado that hit Lippstadt, and if so, that would mean a pretty long-tracked tornado.

This day is certainly going into a special club: (at least) two significant tornadoes in two different countries on the same day. Estofex issued a 3/3 risk over Germany so that event was well forecasted but the Gaylord tornado was largely unexpected. SPC placed the ENH risk area over the northeast and that's where the tornado watch was issued, while Michigan was left with only a SVR TSTM watch with 20/5 tornado probabilities. Certainly a good thing some people picked up on the cell breaking off from the WI squall line as it passed over Lake Michigan.

After starting multiple severe threads for marginal setups that busted, I guess I can say I finally got one... not sure how to feel honestly.

Reaction score
Man, events like this get to me big time. Strong, deadly tornadoes on days where they aren’t expected just freak me out so badly, probably because of events like Memorial Day 2019. Hope the death toll doesn’t rise.

Literally the only tornado in the country all day and it's a classic supercellular beast that goes right through a town...not too often that happens.

It's frustrating as a chaser because you feel compelled to chase every conditional setup (which they seemingly all are in this region) to get things like this...it's why I drove to SE MN yesterday afternoon on the chance that a surface-based storm would latch onto the warm front, only to turn around and come right back because it was already clear that wasn't going to happen. 8 hours and a tank and a half of $4.10/gallon gas down the drain. Meanwhile days like 5/20/19 come along and realize like 2% of their potential based on the model forecasts and SPC outlooks. Maddening.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The general public just doesn't understand that if you're under a tornado watch, or even a severe thunderstorm watch (especially with a QLCS) then you need to be ready in case a tornado or microburst does develop, because that can happen so quickly that you might get only a couple minutes warning or even none at all. Weather is capricious and we're never going to be able to predict it all, even short-fuse.

In the vids I've seen Gaylord it certainly didn't look like much at the start, and not even when developed except for the debris type and height lofted. Folks who live where tornadoes aren't common likely have no clue at what they're seeing and what it means. At least most folks now now how to best take shelter, and that's a sea-change compared to 50 yeas ago. Never say never because you're just one second away from being wrong when you do.

Phil

Last edited:

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tornado warning near St. Paul in a severe thunderstorm watch.

Back