• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX May 19-20, 2022 Severe Event

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Warning text changed from "Radar confirmed tornado" to "NWS Employee confirmed tornado". New MD is also out for the MI cell:

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm seeing reports of damage along W Main St (M-32) west of 75. My MIL lives about a mile east of there. The area west of 75 is where most of the newer commercial development is, but the main commercial/residential center of the city is east of 75.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like it plowed west to east right along the commerical strip, sounds like some very bad injuries in vehicles

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm seeing reports of damage along W Main St (M-32) west of 75. My MIL lives about a mile east of there. The area west of 75 is where most of the newer commercial development is, but the main commercial/residential center of the city is east of 75.
Hope both of them are okay. Godspeed.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's become clear the tornado went right down the commercial strip on the west side of town just north of the airport, with several buildings destroyed and numerous injuries, some in cars; bad situation up that way

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My mother in law and sister in law are both fine. My sister in law works at a restaurant along M-32 and they went to their freezer, all of the windows were blown out but no injuries as far as I know.

Edit: my stepfather-in-law is also fine, but they don't know about their house, which is a few blocks northeast of the 75/M-32 junction. My father in law lives a few miles outside of town and his area wasn't affected as far as I know.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Already seeing some pretty significant damage. A Hobby Lobby store was reportedly heavily damaged or destroyed with several injuries there.
FTOkiuzWUAA9GTN.jpeg

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That's part of a large, relatively new shopping center on the west side of town, my sister in law works in that same shopping center.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If it stays north of Posen and Presque Isle, then there's not much there for it to hit. Mostly open farmland and forest until it gets to the lake.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Bill Karins mentioned that Presque Isle may have taken a direct hit. Pretty nasty radar signatures right before moving offshore so let's hope that what we saw on radar wasn't pieces of that town being lofted.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Already some pretty incredible footage coming out. Definitely had an unusual, wispy-looking appearance for a tornado of this strength. Also know Jordan Hall got it on his stream so can't wait to see his footage.

On another note, today reminds me of two particular setups. Boscobel WI 8/7/2021 in that the tornado was largely isolated, largely unexpected by forecasters and came out of a severe thunderstorm watch (IIRC), and 6/24/2010 in that there were significant tornadoes in the US and Germany (the Faith, SD EF2 and the Großenhain F3) on the same day.

Back