• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

March 31, 2023 Chase Reports Thread

Reaction score
Putting this here so I can include the full summary without it getting lost in the main event thread. @ashtonlemleywx and others can put theirs here, too if desired.

After botching several golden opportunities to see a spectacular, significant tornado going back to at least 2014 (or 2005 if you count the Stoughton F3 which nearly hit my house), finally got that monkey off my back yesterday in a big way!

Overnight/early morning developments had me considering switching my target to somewhere in Illinois rather than Iowa (possible later initiation and longer window for a discrete mode); but after another quick check of data before leaving work, mainly just consisting of the latest HRRR (soundings and synoptic maps, not just sim ref/UH!) and visible satellite I decided to stick with Iowa. Somewhere along/south of I-80 but it was really going to depend on how things developed on radar, since they were going to be moving at 60+ MPH toward me at the same time I was racing toward them.

I was initially tempted to go after a lead cell that showed a promising hook as it crossed I-80 east of Des Moines. It appeared to be on course to pass near Belle Plaine so instead of taking 151 all the way down to US-30 and I-380 as intended, I headed west on 30 from Cedar Rapids. However, now my target storm appeared to be struggling to take off on radar, even losing its severe thunderstorm warning for a while. Meanwhile, a storm to the south near the IA/MO border was looking better and better. I plugged Sigourney into my GPS and was off, on a route that took me through Blairstown, Margeno and North English. The railroad crossing gates were down on the Union Pacific main line in Blairstown. One of my other hobbies is railfanning, but this was NOT the time I wanted to see a train. The train crept up to the west of the crossing and stopped, and after about 30 seconds the gates went up. Phew!

The storm picked up a tornado warning, but fortunately for me didn't produce right away. It now looked like Sigourney would be too close for comfort to the forward flank of the fast-moving supercell, and I did NOT want to core-punch through blinding rain/possibly hail. I now plugged a little town called Keota into my GPS.

As I got nearer I began to pick up a little bit of rain from the forward-flank anvil of the rapidly approaching supercell, but nothing too heavy. Now the tornado warning contained the wording of a confirmed "large and extremely dangerous" tornado, and radar showed a very intense couplet and a clear tornado debris signature. It was now just about 4 PM. My heart began to beat faster as I turned west on IA-92 from IA-77 just south of Keota, turned my car around to face east in case a quick escape from the path was needed, then looked to my southwest...

PXL_20230331_210850210-2048.jpgPXL_20230331_210854337-2048.jpg

A wedge tornado was already ongoing, but with distance and (lack of) contrast I couldn't really see the motion with it. After watching it approach for a few minutes, the storm cycled right in front of me. A small but intense area of rotation formed out in front of the first tornado (white cloud tendrils toward the upper left in the photos above), tightening into a truncated cone with a dusty debris cloud whirling below. It quickly became fully condensed, albeit shrouded in dust. Here it almost looked like a clone of Gilmore City, IA from last April, which I missed despite being within easy striking distance of the storm when it first went severe-warned.

IMG_4039-2048.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_03_17_21.Still016.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_03_28_10.Still018.jpg

It then went through a rapid intensification and several changes in appearance, becoming a narrow Henryville-esque drillbit which expanded into a dusty stovepipe. Will continue in the next post due to attachment limits.

IMG_4041-2048.jpgIMG_4042-2048.jpg
GOPR0226-2048.jpgIMG_4044-2048.jpgIMG_4047-2048.jpg

Reaction score
An explosion of debris ensued as the whirling, dusty stovepipe impacted some structures as it crossed 92 just to my west. In the video screen grab, I think that large chunk just to the left of the power poles is the better part of the roof of a house.

IMG_4048-2048.jpgIMG_4049-2048.jpgIMG_4050-2048.jpg
033123KeotaIATornado.00_05_01_18.Still008.jpg

As it passed into an open field just to my northwest, the tornado was now a stubby, dusty wedge beneath a ridiculously low-LCL, sculpted tornado cyclone/collar cloud (not unlike some of the 4/27/11 tornadoes, except not concealed within Dixie hills and trees!). The rope out of the first wedge was actually still on-going at this time, I didn't even notice it in real time but captured it by happy accident as the strong inflow wind (to my at-the-time annoyance) panned my camcorder off the new wedge. Also captured it on the far left of the ultrawide GoPro shot. At this point I realized I'd better move if I wanted any hope of staying with the fast-moving storm.

IMG_4054-2048.jpgPXL_20230331_211319336-2048.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_05_32_00.Still019.jpg
GOPR0227-2048.jpg

I blasted east on 92 all the way to IA-1, where I turned north. I pulled over to set up again just after getting through Kalona, but just as I did so the cell began to be affected by surrounding upscale growth. I was able to catch a distant view of the fast-moving rope out from this location.

IMG_4058-2048.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_06_38_08.Still017.jpg

The storm still showed strong rotation and a possible debris signature as it approached and entered Iowa City, however it was merging into the QLCS and the rear flank became totally rain-wrapped. After navigating around some tree limbs blown onto US-218, I called the chase and let the storms race away into IL/WI. However the excitement wasn't over yet. My phone's battery was now critically low, genius me having left my charge cord at home and needing to rely on it for GPS and radar data all day. I decided to go to the Wal-Mart in Cedar Rapids and get a new USB charge cable for it just for the car. I was next in line at the checkout when the power went out! Another band of storms had formed behind the initial supercells, warned for severe winds. Everyone was herded to the back of the store. It took some time, but not too long before the power came back on and the self-checkouts brought back up so people could make their purchases and leave.

Last edited:
Reaction score
More video frame grabs. I just can't get over how this storm/tornado did seemingly everything within the span of about five minutes. Too fast for me to take it all in in the moment what with it being my first real significant tornado intercept. Cycle/twins. Cone. Drillbit. Multiple vortices. "Ghost train" inflow jet. Huge debris cloud.

033123KeotaIATornado.00_06_23_00.Still021.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_06_24_29.Still022.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_07_06_27.Still024.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_07_10_12.Still025.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_07_24_11.Still027.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_07_56_17.Still029.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_08_13_07.Still030.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_08_27_06.Still031.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_09_22_01.Still032.jpg033123KeotaIATornado.00_09_27_21.Still033.jpg

Reaction score
Couple more photos I couldn't fit in the initial summary posts due to attachment limits.

This an over-the shoulder phone grab as I was repositioning. The tornado is ongoing northeast of Keota in the distance at left, probably around the time it was doing the EF4-rated damage. Notice the "duck's tail" wall cloud structure, which seems to be one of those features that shows up repeatedly with fast-moving violent tornadoes.

PXL_20230331_212013363-2048.jpg

Then lastly a DSLR photo of the rope-out northwest of Kalona.

IMG_4066-2048.jpg

Reaction score
A couple of 4K frame grabs off my GoPro video, the first showing an intracloud lightning bolt out ahead of the original Ottumwa/Farson tornado.

Still a bit annoyed with myself for:

1.) Forgetting to turn my wipers off, rendering useless the timelapse I would have like to make from the GoPro footage during the first few minutes, when my car was still pointed at the storm.

2.) Not putting my main camcorder (visible at bottom right of the second image) in its 4K mode. Since getting it in summer 2020 I've always shot in its "second-best" mode (1920x1080 with the highest bitrate) for drive space and processing power considerations, but I actually got a new computer and an 8TB external drive last year, so there's no real reason for me not to use the 4K mode anymore. Just kinda forgot about it.

Oh well, at least I avoided my worst nightmare (short of, you know, getting in mortal peril) in such a situation...forgetting to hit (or accidentally double-tapping) the record button...read plenty of sob stories from chasers about that over the years!

Also I figured out why I never got any DSLR photos of, nor indeed remembered actually seeing, the phase of the second tornado (please please please DVN do an accurate survey) when it was a classic front-lit cone with huge debris cloud. This phase probably lasted all of 15 seconds and occurred while I had my back turned, running to my car to retrieve my GoPro from the dash. It was just ending in the second image as the funnel became shrouded in dust, strongly resembling Henryville for a few moments before undergoing some sort of wild vortex breakdown, meanwhile the "curl" of condensation wrapped around and expanded forming the dramatic "collar cloud" that would soon crown the violent funnel as it expanded into a stovepipe/wedge.

GX010224.MP4.15_13_22_00.Still001.jpgGX020224.MP4.15_19_49_03.Still001.jpg

Last edited:
Back