• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 30th- April 1st 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley, Upper Midwest)

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
For those who want the county version...

Attachments

• SPC1.jpg
    SPC1.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
For those who want the county version...
Think SPC goes moderate for the area junctions mo bootheel , ne Arkansas , nw Tennessee part sw Kentucky … close to the best shear and instability over lap. The triple point further north won’t be nothing sneeze at either

Reaction score
Think SPC goes moderate for the area junctions mo bootheel , ne Arkansas , nw Tennessee part sw Kentucky … close to the best shear and instability over lap. The triple point further north won’t be nothing sneeze at either
April 2nd, 2006 comes to mind as a possible analog at least in terms of location and general time of year for Friday and possibly next Monday and/or Tuesday. Several long-track, killer F3s in the mid-MS Valley, at least one of which was probably underrated.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Copying from the other thread: Saint Louis radar site (KLSX) will be down for this event and the 4/4 event.

Whoever scheduled these radar upgrades needs to be taken out to the woodshed for some "corrective action."

Although unless they've already taken the thing apart (as had happened for KMXX last weekend), it's possible they could postpone, as has already been done on a couple of occasions for this series of upgrades.

Based on the article it seems like they are trying to avoid postponing, but the signal is strong enough for their CWA to be right in the thick of things both tomorrow and next week that I think it is the right thing to do.

pritchlaw

Reaction score
Whoever scheduled these radar upgrades needs to be taken out to the woodshed for some "corrective action."

Although unless they've already taken the thing apart (as had happened for KMXX last weekend), it's possible they could postpone, as has already been done on a couple of occasions for this series of upgrades.

Based on the article it seems like they are trying to avoid postponing, but the signal is strong enough for their CWA to be right in the thick of things both tomorrow and next week that I think it is the right thing to do.
Why don't they do these in July?

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Reaction score
Or in November?

Well November is potentially active for severe weather/tornadoes in the South, as well.

Back on the topic of Friday...first sniff of 3KM NAM out to 00Z Saturday is...interesting. Definitely shows a lot of activity with updraft helicity from Iowa down to Arkansas. Mode looks fairly messy but that's also typical for that model. The last few events it was pretty tame with its simulated reflectivity/UH, especially at the end of its range.

Also worth noting that if it's anywhere close to reality, they are GOING to want KLSX in service...

Last edited:

ColdFront

Reaction score
Well November is potentially active for severe weather/tornadoes in the South, as well.

Back on the topic of tomorrow...first sniff of 3KM NAM out to 00Z Saturday is...interesting. Definitely shows a lot of activity with updraft helicity from Iowa down to Arkansas. Mode looks fairly messy but that's also typical for that model. The last few events it was pretty tame with its simulated reflectivity/UH, especially at the end of its range.

Also worth noting that if it's anywhere close to reality, they are GOING to want KLSX in service...
I saw MEG’s outlook banking on and discussing discrete cells, but I know Trey mentioned a mixed mode possible as well.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
View attachment 19312

That track in central MS is not a UH track you want to see. Almost same exact path as tornado last week.
Keep in mind this is from the experimental C-Shield model.
Isn't this pretty similar to a couple days ago?

This only solidifies my position on a very rough day in north Mississippi and Tennessee valley

F

Former Member 1430

Isn't this pretty similar to a couple days ago?

This only solidifies my position on a very rough day in north Mississippi and Tennessee valley
[/QUOTE]

I don’t see this performing as well as advertised. Check out some of the soundings. I wasn’t impressed ( At least for the TN valley anyways)

Back