• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 30th- April 1st 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley, Upper Midwest)

UK_EF4

Reaction score
I really think, as you posited, those Tennessee/Arkansas border storms were likely very intense, but managed to stay rural, which is a good thing.

And I’m not trying to get an EF scale thread debate going, but I would love to know how a lot of these tornados from this event would have been rated in the 60s/70s. A lot of times I make mistakes and think, wow those outbreaks back then were loaded with top end tornados, but the scale was a lot different and it’s 100% not an apples to apples comparison.
yes completely agree. Can't really make a perfect comparison as you say, but I am almost sure that in the F scale era we would have probably had 5 or 6 F4s given the number of slabs from various different states. Exceptional outbreak really.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My friend has sent me some images they have found of damage from Bethel Springs. I asked for the source and will update when they reply. But certainly looks like EF4 level damage to me.

339497921_888309258943775_8074499474079819215_n.png
Knew it was bad from the radar signatures but even I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. Geez...

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Honestly, I thought 165MPH EF3 was rather liberal for the Little Rock tornado but after seeing the damage in the Breckenridge subdivision I understand why they rated it as such. Definitely multiple homes with only one or two walls left standing, and a few completely leveled.

Gawxnative

Reaction score
yes completely agree. Can't really make a perfect comparison as you say, but I am almost sure that in the F scale era we would have probably had 5 or 6 F4s given the number of slabs from various different states. Exceptional outbreak really.
I also have to agree, and would go so far to say that if both the 1974 and 2011 Super Outbreaks had been rated under the same scale, they would gbe much "closer" in strength. That plus given the number of fatalities with all the great improvements in forecasting, warning, and communications between 1974 and 2011 they would alsmost be a "toss up" overall

UK_EF4

Reaction score
I also have to agree, and would go so far to say that if both the 1974 and 2011 Super Outbreaks had been rated under the same scale, they would gbe much "closer" in strength. That plus given the number of fatalities with all the great improvements in forecasting, warning, and communications between 1974 and 2011 they would alsmost be a "toss up" overall
1974 and especially 2011 are still in a league of their own really, even if this outbreak would have been rated in 1974.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I honestly think Keota would have gotten an F5 rating had it occurred pre-1990 or so given the extreme contextual damage; I'd say it was on par with Jordan '76 in some areas. Not saying EF4 is egregious though.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Obliterated home in McNairy County; while I doubt it was well built, the wind rowing is undeniably impressive. Also what appears to be a shipping container on the property thrown a considerable distance.
mcnairy-damage.jpg

WhirlingWx

Reaction score
Good footage of the Ellendale tornado; anyone would have guessed it was weak based on how it looks, but the damage it left behind tells a different story. Just another example that a tornado should NEVER be judged solely based on its appearance.

Crazy. Yeah, I have yet to see a full condensation funnel at any point from pics/videos, yet it managed to cause some significant damage.

Back