• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX March 30th- April 1st 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley, Upper Midwest)

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Yeah, based on my own uneducated guess, we may have one or two more storms from Friday with the chance to be rated EF4. I think there may still be some DIs coming from the southern mode that could yield an upgrade. I mean one EF4 during an outbreak isn’t anything to sneeze at as well.
Yep. NWS Little Rock is going to review the enhanced area of damage in Wynne, AR today - which included that partially levelled home with a bent anchor bolt. That could be a possible candidate for EF4 damage yet for some reason I am not really thinking it will. I doubt Little Rock tornado itself will go EF4, yet when you get EF3 165mph tornadoes a small part of me always questions if that will go up. I haven't seen anything from the long tracked TN tornado, though it wouldn't surprise me if they found some low end EF4 tree or structure damage - but that wouldn't happen unless they actually found some in the first place. The tornado that crossed the Mississippi river would have most certainly done violent damage had it hit anything, but fortunately for now I don't think it did.

I also agree, any outbreak with high tornado numbers, around 60-70+ tornadoes (which I reckon this one will be soon enough), and multiple violent tornadoes is one I really consider as being very significant, only occurring a few times a decade.

Reaction score
Yep. NWS Little Rock is going to review the enhanced area of damage in Wynne, AR today - which included that partially levelled home with a bent anchor bolt. That could be a possible candidate for EF4 damage yet for some reason I am not really thinking it will. I doubt Little Rock tornado itself will go EF4, yet when you get EF3 165mph tornadoes a small part of me always questions if that will go up. I haven't seen anything from the long tracked TN tornado, though it wouldn't surprise me if they found some low end EF4 tree or structure damage - but that wouldn't happen unless they actually found some in the first place. The tornado that crossed the Mississippi river would have most certainly done violent damage had it hit anything, but fortunately for now I don't think it did.

I also agree, any outbreak with high tornado numbers, around 60-70+ tornadoes (which I reckon this one will be soon enough), and multiple violent tornadoes is one I really consider as being very significant, only occurring a few times a decade.
That long track tn tornado has been preliminary rated ef2 in the nws Nashville portion. Over 30 miles long track

Reaction score
0:50 "I don't know if I'm in a good spot or a bad spot...probably a bad spot...I gotta hunker down, there's no getting outta this. Oh, f***, f***, f***,f***, f***! Gotta go the other, way, I don't know which way to go, f***!"

This was exactly the situation I'm glad I avoided on Friday...as my own situational awareness was not stellar with it being the first time I was on a storm like this, with the new cycle producing much closer to me than the original tornado I was watching. Even so, I was not panicking as I could clearly see the tornado had left to right motion and would pass to my west. However if I had tried to get closer to the first tornado, I might have ended up right underneath the new one or been caught in between them and totally lost my bearings like this guy.

Reaction score
I feel like that is inaccurate. Weren’t there two long track violent tornadoes in that area?

Yes. I suspect the first one curled north as it occluded and dissipated somewhere between Keota and Harper. The end point of the red path looks about right, as that one appeared to be roping out northwest of Kalona.

Hopefully it gets corrected. With radar data as well as field observations from chasers there's really no excuse anymore for lumping tornado families together.

UK_EF4

Reaction score

This is from the TN long tracker. To me I think there were at least 4 tornadoes capable of violent damage - Iowa EF4, the TN long tracker, the Corvington TN tornado, and the IL/IN storm. I don't necessarily think all of these will get rated such, but from the damage and radar I think they were capable of EF4 damage. Its possible the other TN tornado before the Corvington one had violent winds based on radar, but it as far as I know didn't hit anything, so no way of really knowing. Wynne AR may have been low end EF4 based on that home but it would have been low end and so Ill just go with the NWS EF3 for now.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
My friend has sent me some images they have found of damage from Bethel Springs. I asked for the source and will update when they reply. But certainly looks like EF4 level damage to me.

339497921_888309258943775_8074499474079819215_n.png

ColdFront

Reaction score
My friend has sent me some images they have found of damage from Bethel Springs. I asked for the source and will update when they reply. But certainly looks like EF4 level damage to me.

339497921_888309258943775_8074499474079819215_n.png
I really think my focus shifting to the April 3rd possible outbreak really hasn’t left me enough time to appreciate what happened Friday.

While not plausible, there’s situations where we could end up with 4 EF4s.

ColdFront

Reaction score
Yep. Very significant outbreak.
I really think, as you posited, those Tennessee/Arkansas border storms were likely very intense, but managed to stay rural, which is a good thing.

And I’m not trying to get an EF scale thread debate going, but I would love to know how a lot of these tornados from this event would have been rated in the 60s/70s. A lot of times I make mistakes and think, wow those outbreaks back then were loaded with top end tornados, but the scale was a lot different and it’s 100% not an apples to apples comparison.

Back