• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX January 11, 2020 Severe Weather Reports and Nowcasts

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
TOR for Cullman County

Evan

Reaction score
And to think we had people brushing off this event....

Yes, and although the event is far from over, I think we actually avoided some of the potential worse case scenarios thus far. Sadly we've already had 3 fatalities, and by no means am I minimizing those, but a bit more instability and a miniscule change of a couple of parameters and we'd probably be blanketed with tornado warnings right now.

This definitely hasn't been a bust or low-end event. It should remind us all how quickly a system can cause fatalities here in Alabama. My power is flickering. Won't be shocked if I lose it for the evening.

Evan

Reaction score
Definite couplet moving through Graysville and Cardiff.

Yep. That's the earlier warned area that sparked a tornado warning when it entered Jefferson County.

I think we're about to see the cells within the line start to rotate more consistently. Going to be a a long afternoon for the Eastern half of the state of Alabama. May see an increasing number of TOR warnings over the next several hours.

Kory

Reaction score
Lost a tremendous amount of respect for a couple seasoned TV meteorologists in Birmingham in the way they handled this event in the days leading up to it. Not going to name any names...

skelly

Reaction score
This map helps picture hardest hit areas

Attachments

• B6722F66-4C36-44DA-8EA3-F3AE9346047A.png
    B6722F66-4C36-44DA-8EA3-F3AE9346047A.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 0
Back