• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX January 10-12, 2020 Severe Weather Forecast Thread

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Acworth, GA at 6pm per the 3km NAM. Atlanta is still borderline. Could be several tornadoes embedded in the line, could be rain and wind still.

Attachments

• 2020011021_RAP_026_34.06,-84.69_severe_ml.png
    2020011021_RAP_026_34.06,-84.69_severe_ml.png
    179 KB · Views: 0

jmills

Reaction score
CAMs are continuing to trend in a very bad direction for tomorrow across MS and AL. Strong tornadoes are a definite possibility, in both pre-QLCS supercells and the line itself.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I'm very ready for the 00z model runs. Things are getting close to nowcasting time for Dixie.
I have a feeling tomorrow will be a rough day to be working in the ER. Widespread damaging wind events like this always result in numerous motor vehicle traumas. Everyone be safe!

darkskys25

Reaction score
What stands out to me is the cape values on the hrrr. Combine that with the shear and the qlcs will be strengthing as it moves into tuscloosa. Definitely should be some embedded tornadoes in the line. Are there any other models showing this amount of cape?

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
What stands out to me is the cape values on the hrrr. Combine that with the shear and the qlcs will be strengthing as it moves into tuscloosa. Definitely should be some embedded tornadoes in the line. Are there any other models showing this amount of cape?
in short no, but just about every run of the HRRR since this has been in range, the cape has increased like we have seen the NAM do
there is some vbv there but I don't know if it is enough make a difference

Last edited:
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
My concerns about a big day or non big day.
Cape has risen every run it seems.
If the sun gets out it could be really bad
If storms are able to fire and rotate ahead of the lines.
Factors that limit this from an outbreak.
Too much wind shear will tear the updrafts apart.
Cap holds and it’s just a line with extensive wind damage.
Clouds limit the cape from creeping up higher than projected

Kory

Reaction score
Cloud breaks and showers will mean nothing when it comes to instability. Warm air advection will be insane overnight and tomorrow.

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KM4JKH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
0z HRRR also continues to show conditions volatile NE of Metro Atlanta at 0z Sun. Yet the local NWS office shows this for the forecast that regular folks see... Showers ????? Guess they see overriding factors that I don't see.
1578709075399.png
1578709162737.png
1578709224085.png

Logo 468x120
Back