• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Hurricane Hurricane Michael

Evan

Reaction score
Anybody ever hear if they found the storm chaser in Mexico Beach that went missing? Saw a couple posts on twitter asking for help locating him.

Yes, they did. He's fine.

akt1985

Reaction score
So that's up to 26 total, including the 13 deaths outside the US.

Now it’s up to 16 in the United States. I’ve read some of the Facebook pages of the most popular hangout spots in Panama City Beach. It looks like most had minor damage but nothing too serious. Even a few stores at Pier Park were open today according to their Facebook page.

ARCC

Reaction score
Perhaps the highest winds speeds ever caught on video. Also downloaded level 2 data and found velocity bins of 211mph and 226mph, 2500-3000ft off the ground right around landfall. Also an absolute huge number of 155-164knt winds at 2500 or so feet really make me think this gets an upgrade.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
TWC says the death toll in the US is up to 31. I think it's still at 15 in Central America so that's 46.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Michael is the only hurricane besides Irma where I can say yes, there was debarking. Incredible.
iZh6PjP.jpg

wJXPHZ4.jpg
43izSAp.jpg

Reaction score
Where are those pictures from? They are some of the most impressive wind damage images I've seen yet. They are Andrew-like and ought to put to rest any notions that Michael was anything less than its operationally-assessed top-end Cat 4 at landfall.

Last edited:

Kory

Reaction score
Where are those pictures from? They are some of the most impressive wind damage images I've seen yet. They are Andrew-like and ought to put to rest any notions that Michael was anything less that its operationally-assessed top-end Cat 4 at landfall.
Re-analysis will probably upgrade to Cat 5 if I have to bet money.

I want to say Patricia in 2015 had similar debarking, but I can't find the picture currently.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Where are those pictures from? They are some of the most impressive wind damage images I've seen yet. They are Andrew-like and ought to put to rest any notions that Michael was anything less that its operationally-assessed top-end Cat 4 at landfall.

First two are screen grabs from chase videos and the last is from a news site. The first photo is from Tyndall AFB and the other two are from Mexico Beach.

Back