• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Hurricane Hurricane Beryl

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
In 5-10 minutes, we should get recon in that will tell us what Beryl's been up to the past 4-6 hours...*clinches teeth*

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Landfall footage from Brandon Clement.

Drone footage reveals widespread devastation.

Good lord that drone footage. That island is torn apart.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Looks like they found winds of 151 knots. I'm still looking to confirm that, though. This is at Flight Level. Still looking to find surface winds via dropsonde or such.

Last edited:

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
NHC puts it at 155. Not sure I agree, but they're the experts! (In the end 155 vs 160 isn't the end of the world)

TornadoFan

Reaction score
View attachment 28977
Pressure rapidly dropped to 934. This is definitely a cat 5.
Tom Delonge Reaction GIF

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Just FYI, the latest SHIPS for Beryl. Astonishingly, still a 17% chance of another 20 knot increase in the next 12 hours. I doubt that'll happen, but still. Interestingly, the max potential intensity is about 170 mph at the moment, so it still has a bit of room to strengthen if it wants to.

1719882112562.png

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Based on current recon flight path, I think it'll be another 60-75 minutes before the northeast eye wall is sampled again. Just in time for the 11 PM advisory.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Euro and American models are both starting to strongly hint at a possible (but not guaranteed) northern (and even northeastward) turn towards next week. The U.S. is NOT out of the woods yet. Even the Central Gulf Coast might not be fully out of the woods yet. 1719883958328.png

Clancy

Reaction score
Euro and American models are both starting to strongly hint at a possible (but not guaranteed) northern (and even northeastward) turn towards next week. The U.S. is NOT out of the woods yet. Even the Central Gulf Coast might not be fully out of the woods yet. View attachment 28980
Well if anything's certain, Beryl has an affinity for surprises.

slenker

Reaction score
Euro and American models are both starting to strongly hint at a possible (but not guaranteed) northern (and even northeastward) turn towards next week. The U.S. is NOT out of the woods yet. Even the Central Gulf Coast might not be fully out of the woods yet. View attachment 28980
I strongly dislike this, as they all seemed to have changed their minds together rather than a one-by-one sort of thing. I wonder if conditions in the Gulf will be conducive for intensification when it gets in there.

Edit: Another thing I greatly dislike is the fact that some models are now taking it through the channel between Cuba and the Yucatán, meaning less interaction with land and a stronger storm.

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Euro and American models are both starting to strongly hint at a possible (but not guaranteed) northern (and even northeastward) turn towards next week. The U.S. is NOT out of the woods yet. Even the Central Gulf Coast might not be fully out of the woods yet.

I think keeping an eye on how close this comes to Jamaica is the short term gauge to watch. Not that I wish harm upon the good people of the Yucatan, but those more southerly tracks would be highly preferable.

Logo 468x120
Back