• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Historic tornado videos missing from youtube/the internet?

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
After seeing too much lost or taken down with electronic media of all sorts it's best to copy when you can- it may be your last chance to do that :oops:

Phil

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
After seeing too much lost or taken down with electronic media of all sorts it's best to copy when you can- it may be your last chance to do that :oops:

Phil
Despite now having 2,000 tornado videos in my collection (and STILL adding more) I do miss them occasionally. Being easily distracted and having to work for a living gets in the way sometimes lol

Reaction score
There's a lost tornado video which my friend discovered in mid-2021 and he told me the details of the video in the messenger that the footage was taken during the Rancaekek, Bandung tornado of April 2011. He described the footage with the footage being low quality but clear and it was taken in a housing region, the footage shows the tornado after striking the Junior High School (SMP4). The wall cloud in the footage was shown to become widened but the funnel narrows while still remains strong (it is likely that other damage was recorded outside of the SMP4).

Another lost tornado video which i found while watching Raging Planet - Tornado documentary, the footage was said to be taken in Yokohama, Japan on April 1997. The video shows a narrow but likely intense sub-vortex passing between some pylon poles.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There's a lost tornado video which my friend discovered in mid-2021 and he told me the details of the video in the messenger that the footage was taken during the Rancaekek, Bandung tornado of April 2011. He described the footage with the footage being low quality but clear and it was taken in a housing region, the footage shows the tornado after striking the Junior High School (SMP4). The wall cloud in the footage was shown to become widened but the funnel narrows while still remains strong (it is likely that other damage was recorded outside of the SMP4).

Another lost tornado video which i found while watching Raging Planet - Tornado documentary, the footage was said to be taken in Yokohama, Japan on April 1997. The video shows a narrow but likely intense sub-vortex passing between some pylon poles.
Rancaekek:

Reaction score
Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 11-30-06 1974-06-08 Emporia Kansas F4 tornado.png
Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 11-30-26 1974-06-08 Emporia Kansas F4 tornado.png

This may very well be the thing that gets me to register to Stormtrack just so I can see those photos. I did not even know there was a photo of that tornado before today.

EDIT: This might be a photo but if it was then it was likely taken near the beginning or end of the track

AngelAndHisWx

Reaction score
View attachment 15571
View attachment 15572

This may very well be the thing that gets me to register to Stormtrack just so I can see those photos. I did not even know there was a photo of that tornado before today.

EDIT: This might be a photo but if it was then it was likely taken near the beginning or end of the track

I think those photos aren’t displaying because they simply no longer exist, Stormtrack’s website structure has been changed since then and many older pictures are broken.

Reaction score
I think those photos aren’t displaying because they simply no longer exist, Stormtrack’s website structure has been changed since then and many older pictures are broken.
Figured. Last post from the member in question though was back in 2018 so not terribly optimistic. Checking image search sites the photo in the tweet doesn't appear anywhere else and the quality seems to match up. Also probably going to DM a certain user who claimed to have recorded the Union University 2008 webcam footage that I mentioned previously.

EDIT: After reading the post again and checking the tweet photo again I am almost 100% sure that the photo in the tweet is the photo Doug is referring to. The lake the photo was taken would be around the middle of the path, which means that the tornado must have gained size extremely fast and obtained a wedge shape in Emporia (likely reaching peak width at that point), then shrank into a rope/drillbit outside of town.

Last edited:
Back