• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Historic tornado videos missing from youtube/the internet?

Reaction score
Yup. Even more interestingly, I’ve also heard rumors about lost a video of the Worcester, MA tornado, and I’m not talking about that one silent video taken inside a barn being destroyed shortly before it dissipated
Is this the one that Grazulis dismissed as being not real on Twitter a while back? Also, is the lost video you speak of from a distance or up close?

buckeye05

Reaction score
Is this the one that Grazulis dismissed as being not real on Twitter a while back? Also, is the lost video you speak of from a distance or up close?
I have no idea because I haven't seen it nor do I know if it exists. I have only heard about it in the context of Grazulis being dismissive of it, but that was years ago. What did he say on Twitter?

Reaction score
I have no idea because I haven't seen it nor do I know if it exists. I have only heard about it in the context of Grazulis being dismissive of it, but that was years ago. What did he say on Twitter?
I only know about it from a post you made previously on this thread. I can't find his post on it on Twitter (yet).
I've seen some news sites when anniversaries on the Worcester tornado and they show genuine footage of the damage and then some black and white footage of tornados with clear condensation funnels but I can't tell if they're of Worcester or some other tornado.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I wonder if there are any other videos of Japan tornadoes that can be considered as "lost media"
This video of the 2011 Fukuoka tornado:
fukuoka-tornado-png.15195

Also, Charlotte Otmo's Camp Crook videos are back up. Grab 'em while you can.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
And also the 1990 Mobara F4 tornado. The video (likely VHS video) of the Mobara tornado was lost for such a long long time and only one or two screenshots were saved.
Yeah, that's another one I'd love to find; I've looked on YouTube and a few Japanese video-sharing websites but no luck so far. Although, we finally rediscovered the Anderson Hills tornado footage after it was lost for many years, so nothing's impossible!

Someone did fairly recently upload a Mobara damage reel, however:

Reaction score
Yeah, that's another one I'd love to find; I've looked on YouTube and a few Japanese video-sharing websites but no luck so far. Although, we finally rediscovered the Anderson Hills tornado footage after it was lost for many years, so nothing's impossible!

Someone did fairly recently upload a Mobara damage reel, however:

Let's hope someone found the only known footage of the 1990 Mobara F4 (officially F3) tornado and the Fujita's aerial survey of the Mobara tornado

Reaction score
Full length here?

Nah, different series with a different narrator (I think that's the same narrator as on the Tornado Video Classics series). The one I posted was produced by TWC focusing on the tornadoes of 1995 only. I'd seen (had taped on VHS) The Chase, but not that one.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Nah, different series with a different narrator (I think that's the same narrator as on the Tornado Video Classics series). The one I posted was produced by TWC focusing on the tornadoes of 1995 only. I'd seen (had taped on VHS) The Chase, but not that one.
Was quit sleepy and it popped up on my YT feed. Kind of weird but sometimes they pop up with something really good that has very few views which doesn't come up if you search...

Reaction score
Here's an A&E documentary I'd not seen before. Around the 18:40 mark there's a rather remarkable narration-free extended sequence of footage of the Andover tornado.

Tennie

Reaction score
Here's a pretty interesting video (runtime of 14:00) I watched recently about an investigation into some possible lost footage of the 05/27/1997 Jarrell, TX, tornado:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here's a pretty interesting video (runtime of 14:00) I watched recently about an investigation into some possible lost footage of the 05/27/1997 Jarrell, TX, tornado:

I didn't see anything new in that.

AngelAndHisWx

Reaction score
So I have some videos that are actually historic this time around. Mildly historic anyways! Filmed by lightning researcher Tom Warner during the 1998 storm season, these are some of the earliest known digital videos of tornadoes known to exist, filmed on May 24 1998 in Grant County OK and June 23 1998 near Rapid City SD. Pre-1999 digital video as a whole is very rare these days, so to have digital videos of tornadoes from before 1999 is almost unheard of! Also of note is as of my typing this, these are the only known videos of the Rapid City tornadoes, which were understandably overshadowed by the Columbus NE wedge down south on the same day! I hope to get Mr. Warner’s approval to share these videos online soon.
C40B70E1-5719-4251-9190-A96D2716D276.jpeg6686D194-8855-4269-8B5A-A960E1E98FFE.jpegCA709EEC-07F9-4AF4-B318-4A6D238BE8CC.jpeg78491F98-7682-4482-BCA1-60C09FDE2A5D.jpeg

Back