• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Historic tornado videos missing from youtube/the internet?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This is one of the best sources of extremely rare and exclusive videos from the eastern US. Bill Hark still has a few left and I just had to replace my copy; they're just $10 + shipping with a check so if you're interested in some unique videos I highly recommend looking into it. Many can't be seen anywhere else because they have the exclusive rights to only be published on this DVD by the original videographers.

http://www.harkphoto.com/EasternFury.html

20210327_153310.jpg20210327_153525.jpg

buckeye05

Reaction score
This is one of the best sources of extremely rare and exclusive videos from the eastern US. Bill Hark still has a few left and I just had to replace my copy; they're just $10 + shipping with a check so if you're interested in some unique videos I highly recommend looking into it. Many can't be seen anywhere else because they have the exclusive rights to only be published on this DVD by the original videographers.

View attachment 7798View attachment 7799
Love that DVD. There are some incredible clips of the Remington, VA F3 and the La Plata, MD F4 that I can't find anywhere else.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I've been searching for a video (credit to Crandall McKee) of the 1995 Anderson Hills tornado on and off for years now. I've only been able to dig up these two frames. Any information on the video would be much appreciated.
View attachment 8147View attachment 8148

@TH2002 I know you've been interested in this footage as well. Would be great to see this surface one day.
I remember watching the raw, complete version of this about a decade ago on youtube. Seems to be long gone unfortunately.

Reaction score
I've been searching for a video (credit to Crandall McKee) of the 1995 Anderson Hills tornado on and off for years now. I've only been able to dig up these two frames. Any information on the video would be much appreciated.

@TH2002 I know you've been interested in this footage as well. Would be great to see this surface one day.
I swear I saw footage of this in a documentary on TV in the early 2000s, and I think it was on YouTube back in its early days (so pre-2010) but for whatever reason it got pulled. It's out there somewhere, I just know it.

OHWX97

Reaction score
I remember watching the raw, complete version of this about a decade ago on youtube. Seems to be long gone unfortunately.
I swear I saw footage of this in a documentary on TV in the early 2000s, and I think it was on YouTube back in its early days (so pre-2010) but for whatever reason it got pulled. It's out there somewhere, I just know it.
Any recollection of what the name of this documentary might be?

Also, worth mentioning that someone commented on Mike Wilhelm's page of the event, (http://www.bamawx.com/2008/05/anderson-hills-f4-tornado.html) "That was my first true tornado chase, the picture was a capture from my video."

I can only assume it's Crandall. I would love to talk to him, but there's no contact information at all to be found. It's disappointing because I'm under the assumption that decades worth of sought after tornado videos are lost because the photographers sold the rights to their footage to companies who have absolutely no intention of digging them up.

OHWX97

Reaction score
And while I'm at it, here's another video that's missing, which happens to be another F4 tornado from May 1995. The Raritan, IL tornado. Unfortunately, I'm unsure of who to credit.
05-13-1998_Roseville_F4%2B.jpg

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
According to this archived version of the NWS Huntsville report on May 18, 1995 the video was available for download from their website at one point:

The filename was "may95.mpg". Unforutnately the Internet Archive does not seem to have this file archived, though having the filename may be helpful in the search to find this video.

I'm going to try and get in touch with someone at NWS Huntsville to see if anyone there still has a copy of the video.

Reaction score
According to this archived version of the NWS Huntsville report on May 18, 1995 the video was available for download from their website at one point:

The filename was "may95.mpg". Unforutnately the Internet Archive does not seem to have this file archived, though having the filename may be helpful in the search to find this video.

I'm going to try and get in touch with someone at NWS Huntsville to see if anyone there still has a copy of the video.
NWS nuked so much stuff when they switched their website over; a ton of 4/27/11 surveys are still available on Huntsville's pages but many of the photographs no longer show up when you click on them, just an NWS logo. Really frustrating.

Reaction score
I only just stumbled across these YouTube uploads of a BBC series called "Twister Week," in which a British TV crew traveled to the Plains in 1999 and tagged along with some storm chasers. This was just a week or two after the May 3rd outbreak so there is extensive discussion and footage of that (as well as an extended interview with Gary England), as well as some coverage of Jarrell then just two years earlier. Of course the scenes of chasing with Tim Samaras are rather poignant.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked/answered elsewhere, but does anyone happen to have the full KWTV/News 9 coverage of 5/3/99? I've found quite a bit of it via various clips and documentaries and such but it'd be helpful to have the full thing. I feel a little out of my depth when it comes to video lol

crandall

Reaction score

I still have the video on 8mm, but need someone who can copy to dvd or digital.

andyhb

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked/answered elsewhere, but does anyone happen to have the full KWTV/News 9 coverage of 5/3/99? I've found quite a bit of it via various clips and documentaries and such but it'd be helpful to have the full thing. I feel a little out of my depth when it comes to video lol
This, would love to have that coverage (actually wouldn't mind having KFOR's full broadcast of that too).

Oh, also both of their full broadcasts for 5/24/2011.

locomusic01

Reaction score
This, would love to have that coverage (actually wouldn't mind having KFOR's full broadcast of that too).

Oh, also both of their full broadcasts for 5/24/2011.
I'm supposed to talk with Gary England about 5/3/99 sometime soon (hopefully today or tomorrow), so I'm planning to ask him about whether News 9 might consider posting the full broadcast. He's retired now, of course, but if it's possible I'd imagine he would have the pull to get it done. Wanted to try and get in touch with Mike Morgan as well, but the 3rd seems to be coming up a lot quicker than I'd hoped lol

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I still have the video on 8mm, but need someone who can copy to dvd or digital.
Do you still have the camcorder, and does it have an A/V output? If so then converting the video is as simple as picking up a $15 A/V capture card for your computer and recording the video that way.

The Wolverine Data MovieMaker-PRO is an excellent solution if you no longer have a camcorder, but at $400 carries a hefty price tag.

Lastly you could pay a service to digitize the film for you. I would recommend using Current Pixel. DO NOT use Legacybox as they are notorious for doing poor conversions of 8mm film (and just about everything else...)

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

View attachment 7798View attachment 7799
I picked up a copy recently and I second your recommendation. Even has a decent bit of Gallatin footage which is awesome as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction score
I do believe this belongs in this thread too (I have no idea if I can cross post). I refuse to believe that this is all the video they shot, so I labeled it as incomplete:

At 4:05 or so at the bottom right you can see the formation and dissolution of a horizontal vortex, I've seen a screenshot of it in Shawn's article on Jarrell but not the whole cycle of it, reminds me a lot of Bridge Creek-Moore's, incredible.
Also, you might not wanna post the video here as I don't want this thread to get taken down by copyright strikes.

AngelAndHisWx

Reaction score
At 4:05 or so at the bottom right you can see the formation and dissolution of a horizontal vortex, I've seen a screenshot of it in Shawn's article on Jarrell but not the whole cycle of it, reminds me a lot of Bridge Creek-Moore's, incredible.
Also, you might not wanna post the video here as I don't want this thread to get taken down by copyright strikes.
Good point, that slipped my mind. I should at least get some high quality screen grabs at least to share.

Back