• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Flooding and Isolated Severe Potential 3/1-3/2

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Looks like another trough will be sweeping through the eastern U.S this week. It looked pretty potent from a severe threat a few days ago, but as time has gone by the severe potential has taken a back seat to what could be a VERY nasty flooding event, especially over the TN Valley region of Alabama.. we could have a band set up that could bring 6 inches over a 24 hour period, with most of it coming Wednesday night into Thursday..

qpf_048h.us_ov.png

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Brad Travis posted RPM data on Twitter, showing some spots up to 6"

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I checked a few of the creeks on Wheeler Wildlife Refuge this afternoon and the water is already up in most areas so it won't take much many of the bridges and roads in the area that are prone to flooding. Stay safe everyone.

MichelleH

Reaction score
Severe thunderstorm warning for Marion County, AL until 2:45 pm

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather

ETA: Now Marion and Lamar until 3:30

Last edited:

MichelleH

Reaction score
New thunderstorm warning for Winston County, AL until 3:45 pm. BHM NWS said some storms are producing *some* rotation and they're keeping a close eye on it.

BTW, where is everyone? LOL

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Deep layer shear is excellent. I don't think it has it in the low levels to actually go tornadic though. Sfc winds are too veered and SRH is unimpressive.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
SPC needs to be keeping an eye on NW Alabama...

No kidding. Current mesoanalysis suggest an environment for supercells. The storm mode is great too. A few of them are showing rotation.

akt1985

Reaction score
Is it fair to say the axis of heavy rain is just inside the Tennessee state line or will metro Huntsville eventually get some of this heavy rain?

MichelleH

Reaction score
From Spann on FB - Another look at the wall cloud with the storm at Jasper… no evidence of a tornado; no warnings are in effect.
28277023_10156208338975842_1798969603600093552_n.jpg

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Is it fair to say the axis of heavy rain is just inside the Tennessee state line or will metro Huntsville eventually get some of this heavy rain?

Everyone will receive at least some heavy rain. Still too early to tell where the training band is going to set up however.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
We were adequate low level shear away from being completely blindsided in NW Alabama today.. that could have been a complete disaster so we are lucky that didn't occur..

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
We were adequate low level shear away from being completely blindsided in NW Alabama today.. that could have been a complete disaster so we are lucky that didn't occur..
Yeah, not even a mention of a severe wx threat by anyone yesterday until the storms started forming. I know if was a low end threat that didn't last long, but I am surprised that no one even had an idea that we could have some severe storms yesterday.

Reaction score
Looks like despite the vigorously rotating wall cloud being halfway or more to the ground from ambient cloud base, any ground contact was much smaller/brief (i.e. in the picture, what looks like a wedge tornado actually stops at or just below the obscuring tree line). Still, as rolltide130 pointed out, that could have been a lot worse for as unexpected as it was.

I've seen much many a higher-probability situation from SPC (slight or even enhanced risk, red box in effect) not even produce low-level rotating wall clouds that impressive, let alone touchdowns.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That’s amazing! Discrete storm mode for the win.

Back