• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Fall Severe Weather - 2017

gangstonc

Reaction score
It looks like things are starting to happen with this fall's severe weather season. There is a day 3 outlook from spc. How do you guys think this fall will shape up?

Reaction score
Bit of a late reply but this particular event is shaping up to be a decent squall line with a possibility of a derecho and maybe a few tornadoes. As for the general severe season, it's looking that the locus of severe weather might be pretty far west, probably into the Southern Plains.

akt1985

Reaction score
What do you all think of the scattered thunderstorm chance this Friday and Saturday for north and central Alabama? Any chance for severe weather? We are about into November.

Kory

Reaction score
Things look pretty quiet on the severe wx front. Obviously, isolated severe with these weaker systems is possible, but nothing large scale looks to be brewing on the horizon.

Reaction score
Things look pretty quiet on the severe wx front. Obviously, isolated severe with these weaker systems is possible, but nothing large scale looks to be brewing on the horizon.
Are we talking about Alabama in particular here or generally? Sunday's system seems to be shaping up quite nicely.

Kory

Reaction score
Are we talking about Alabama in particular here or generally? Sunday's system seems to be shaping up quite nicely.
I should've been more specific, but I was generally referring to the Southeast, where most of the members are located. My apologies.

Sunday, indeed, looks good near the Great Lakes...and it appears supercells will be the dominant storm mode.

Reaction score
I should've been more specific, but I was generally referring to the Southeast, where most of the members are located. My apologies.

Sunday, indeed, looks good near the Great Lakes...and it appears supercells will be the dominant storm mode.
Ah okay, and yep, agreed. It's a real shame I'm working Sunday, otherwise I might drive out for a local chase...it's really not that common for my neck of the woods to get supercells at this time of the year.

MichelleH

Reaction score
The wasps and bumblebees make me kind of interested in today. Only a marginal risk with 2% tornado probs, but might be worth keeping an eye on.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
73/65 here with the sun been in and out all afternoon. Wasn't expecting a severe threat today but we'll see what happens.

MichelleH

Reaction score
Jason Simpson just mentioned this on Facebook. He said there isn't a very big tornado threat for west AL, but there is a threat.

MichelleH

Reaction score
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1747.html

mcd1747.gif

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
The wasps and bumblebees make me kind of interested in today. Only a marginal risk with 2% tornado probs, but might be worth keeping an eye on.
Idk if that's a euphemism or not, but there was an absurd amount of wasps outside my house today. I thought it was very bizarre.

MichelleH

Reaction score
Idk if that's a euphemism or not, but there was an absurd amount of wasps outside my house today. I thought it was very bizarre.

Lol! No, not an euphemism! They were literally swarming in our yard and driveway! And I'm terrified of any kind of bees!! I noticed earlier that some storms had started popping up in Mississippi, but now everything has died down. Hmm. I know it's just so "stuffy" and that can't be a good thing for Alabama in November!

Reactions: KoD

Kory

Reaction score
This Saturday looks to feature some stronger storms with an approaching cold front. One thing working against it is the narrow CAPE corridor that will be relegated to right along the boundary due to poor return flow trajectories. Shear profiles look favorable, so we'll have to keep an eye on things as the SPC has already outlooked regions to the West and North for Day 5.

It is something to keep an eye on though, especially since this appears to be affecting Tuscaloosa right during our last home game. :mad:

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
This Saturday looks to feature some stronger storms with an approaching cold front. One thing working against it is the narrow CAPE corridor that will be relegated to right along the boundary due to poor return flow trajectories. Shear profiles look favorable, so we'll have to keep an eye on things as the SPC has already outlooked regions to the West and North for Day 5.

It is something to keep an eye on though, especially since this appears to be affecting Tuscaloosa right during our last home game. :mad:

I know I will be keeping an eye on this as we have a soccer tournament this weekend.

day5prob.gif

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Good news is it is still plenty far out for timing to change

Reaction score
Friday may have the geographically largest risk area I've ever seen in a D4-D8 outlook. And on the exact anniversary of the 2013 Midwest outbreak as well. Now granted it's forecast to be a low CAPE/high shear event with strong lower to upper level flow, which would support straight-line winds as the primary risk rather than tornadoes, but still.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Friday may have the geographically largest risk area I've ever seen in a D4-D8 outlook. And on the exact anniversary of the 2013 Midwest outbreak as well. Now granted it's forecast to be a low CAPE/high shear event with strong lower to upper level flow, which would support straight-line winds as the primary risk rather than tornadoes, but still.

tumblr_mh1yybp16y1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

Kory

Reaction score
SPC reasoning...too much inconsistency. To be honest, models' handling of this system has been largely inconsistent. The timing differences alone should've been enough to preclude an outlook, not to mention there is differences on handling the synoptic features between the Euro and GFS.

Back