• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Early December Surprise Winter Storm

Daniel

Reaction score
It snowed a lil over an inch in 45 minutes.....moderate snow still falling, may get close to the 2 inch mark here =) I don't recall an early December snow like this here. Very pretty!

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
Just over 1" now. Long way to go and coming down nicely. Congrats to you Atlanta/Alabama folks.

Reaction score
Big flakes here after going to sleet for about 10 mins. Everything almost white now. Good solid dusting. This is probably gonna be a over on the NW side of ATL. If it stays cold enough, I could easily see areas getting 2-4 inches.

Daniel

Reaction score
Took those pics about 25 min ago. Large flakes, moderate to heavy. Slush is starting to build up on HWY 91. I can't see any bridges, but they are probably snow covered, with a temp at 27°F. I'm gonna try and get a good pic of the snow falling now. I'm like a kid lol....

Reaction score
I can't remember a winter that had such a pro longed and warm fall that went straight a good snowfall. I mean, it got cold once and this is like only the second time it's been cold this year.

Daryl

Reaction score
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Huntsville AL
920 AM CST Fri Dec 8 2017

ALZ008-010-016-082100-
/O.NEW.KHUN.WW.Y.0003.171208T1520Z-171208T2100Z/
Marshall-De Kalb-Cullman-
Including the cities of Albertville, Boaz, Guntersville, Arab,
Fort Payne, Rainsville, and Cullman
920 AM CST Fri Dec 8 2017

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 PM CST THIS
AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Snow occurring. Plan on slippery road conditions.
Additional snow accumulations of up to one inch are expected.

Reaction score
Back to small flakes and sleet now. I am a bit worried this will continue all day. Seems the big flakes can't last longer than 5 mins. I would say we have a quarter of a inch on the ground. I am just waiting for it to go to snow and stay all snow with big flakes.

Daniel

Reaction score
1.5 inches in Hanceville, AL

Attachments

• compressed-nzdm.jpg
    compressed-nzdm.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • compressed-rbqf.jpg
    compressed-rbqf.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • optimized-dpz3.jpg
    optimized-dpz3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Periods of big flakes now back to smaller snow flakes. Well over half a inch now. I think we should easily see 2 inches here NW of Atlanta and I would not be surprised to see 3 inches.

Daniel

Reaction score
Periods of big flakes now back to smaller snow flakes. Well over half a inch now. I think we should easily see 2 inches here NW of Atlanta and I would not be surprised to see 3 inches.
Here where I am, Hanceville, AL it's been snowing about an inch per hour and darker returns moving in. This is probably 35 miles north of Birmingham, where a trace of snow was foretasted for here ( No, I'm not hating on any weather service at all. It is snow in the South, surprises will ALWAYS happen ). I think we may get close to 3-5 inches here. I'll go back out in an hour and take another measurement.

Edit: Was looking at the composite radar from AlabamaWX, I think it's a few hours behind. So my guesstimate needs adjusting lol.... more like close to 3 inches here, based on radar trends =)

Last edited:
Back