• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Early December Surprise Winter Storm

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
With this much model inconsistency I can't imagine any forecast is made with confidence right now. Certainly this is a wait and see situation.
Aren't ground temperatures down in Georgia still pretty warm?

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm so confused. One local Met stating that the models have just about gotten rid of any chance of anything at all in Georgia ....yet another local stating the swath through ATL is up to 1/2" or so.

Some saying GFS is too glitchy as of late to put any trust into.

What the heck gives ... lol

Do yourself a favor and ignore all the Atlanta TV mets.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
With this much model inconsistency I can't imagine any forecast is made with confidence right now. Certainly this is a wait and see situation.
Aren't ground temperatures down in Georgia still pretty warm?

Warm, yes, but the next couple nights below freezing will help the mountains. Ground temps south of the mountains in GA are never fantastic, even in January/February. Certainly better than now but always a concern.

Reaction score
I'm so confused. One local Met stating that the models have just about gotten rid of any chance of anything at all in Georgia ....yet another local stating the swath through ATL is up to 1/2" or so.

Some saying GFS is too glitchy as of late to put any trust into.

What the heck gives ... lol

This is winter in the south. Snow storms are like mirages here.... we see one , get excited and start running for it only to get there and it has disappeared.

atlwx

Reaction score
wx models are always like this for Atlanta.

caca9fc39b4da400e480c50f708299e3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think in my neck of the woods, we'll get a pretty show but no accumulation!!! I can't wait to watch it fall!!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather

Kory

Reaction score
It's gonna be a close call for the I-20/59 corridor in West and Central AL. It's going to be a sharp cut off. Nothing to flurries to accumulating snow all within 10-20 miles. Where that sets up will be key. I don't think we get much more than a couple flurries in Tuscaloosa proper, myself...but we'll see.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
It's gonna be a close call for the I-20/59 corridor in West and Central AL. It's going to be a sharp cut off. Nothing to flurries to accumulating snow all within 10-20 miles. Where that sets up will be key. I don't think we get much more than a couple flurries in Tuscaloosa proper, myself...but we'll see.
Never underestimate that NW trend. 24 hours ago every model had me with nothing. Now most show a few inches. Granted I'm in a very climo-favored location but still

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Kory

Reaction score
Never underestimate that NW trend. 24 hours ago every model had me with nothing. Now most show a few inches. Granted I'm in a very climo-favored location but still

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
Sure seems that way with the latest mesoscale guidance. Has accumulating snow pushing further NW.

Back