• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We would love for you to become a part of our community.
    Take a moment to look around and join the discussion.
    CLICK HERE TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Discussion of April 27, 2011 Outbreak (1 Viewer)

So, I've been looking for some footage of the Cullman tornado that I saw years ago on YouTube but can't find the video for the life of me now. It was a taping of the tornado as it was going right through Cullman; the video had a part where the multivortex structure of the tornado was clearly visible and the tornado was going right over the church, it looks like 2 octopus tentacles are reaching down from the sky. If anyone can find this video it would be much appreciated.

I had never seen that Smithville photo before... fascinating. Other than the reservoir video there are very few clear shots of it.

Great discussion topics re: vortex tilt, phases, and horizontal vortices on historic outbreak days. I'd love to see some sort of research and comparisons made but I'm not sure how one would specifically quantify or compare some of these things.

I can still pick out the tornado paths knowing precisely where to look but it's pretty impressive how much difference eight years makes in tree growth and reconstruction... the Cordova to Sipsey path on Hwy 78 is becoming fainter and the Adamsville area path just down the road from the Tuscaloosa tornado is honestly overshadowed now by the nearby 4/28/14 EF2's swath of shredded trees; even that is slowly recovering. Downtown Cullman is completely rebuilt but the historic district is really depressing still with many empty properties where turn of the century houses once stood and a near total lack of trees in what was once a very shaded district. Hopefully people won't forget that day as fast as nature seems to have... it's going to happen again some decade in the future
Some other good videos of Smithville, surprising how little documentation there was of this storm:

1. Immediately right after it hit Smithville:

2. Security footage of it hitting the police station:

3. Apparently this is footage of the tornado's formation over the reservoir:

4. Shot from the boat ramp at the reservoir area. No audio from this video, apparently the uploader deleted it. It's the only video that captures the direct formation of the tornado:

Last edited:

TH2002

So, I've been looking for some footage of the Cullman tornado that I saw years ago on YouTube but can't find the video for the life of me now. It was a taping of the tornado as it was going right through Cullman; the video had a part where the multivortex structure of the tornado was clearly visible and the tornado was going right over the church, it looks like 2 octopus tentacles are reaching down from the sky. If anyone can find this video it would be much appreciated.
Is this the footage you're talking about?

Two videos of Smithville when it was in the Shottsville, AL area after crossing the state line. As can be seen, it narrowed quite a bit but was still fairly strong:

Another video of Smithville when it was in the Hamilton, Al area (heads up for annoying music):

Last edited:
So this is pretty incredible. This video is of the birth of the Hackleburg tornado (or just its early stages). I was a bit skeptical of this video as being genuinely of Hackleburg at first, but the video can be found on NWS Birmingham's table of the tornadoes of 2011 as "Hamilton Tornado" under the Phil Campbell-Hackleburg Event.

Source: https://www.weather.gov/bmx/tornadodb_2011 although you'll have to scroll a bit or do Ctrl+F "Hamilton tornado" to find it

Out of all the tornadoes documented during the 2011 Super Outbreak, the Cullman tornado has particularly interested me for that reason and the fact that it was (along with the Tuscaloosa-Birmingham tornado) one of the, if not the most filmed tornado during the entire event.
These 2 videos of Cullman demonstrate how it had a shifting appearance when it was going through Cullman, by the time it got to Arab it was a more traditional Dixie wedge. The horizontal vortices and multiple vortices are clearly visible on this thing, a rarity for Dixie Alley. Also, it one of the videos it appears to lack a visible condensation funnel for a brief period, simialr to the DePauw, IN F5 of 1974 and the Henryville, IN EF4 of 2012.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread