• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX December 31, 2021 - January 1, 2022 Severe Threat

KevinH

Reaction score
Hey, all! Long time lurker here, and first time posting. I make this place one of my open browser tabs when severe weather might happen. I really appreciate y'all's (all y'all's) knowledge! I've seen so many spot-on observations/predictions here. I'm impressed every time I come here. I am also fascinated by mother nature and the things she can do.

I just want to say as an outsider that sometimes, it seems like people are hoping for tornadoes, and while that is awesome to behold, it sucks for the people under the gun/potentially under the gun/lost their house or worse. So, please keep that in mind. Sorry if I stepped on toes saying this.
Hi. Two things

#1: I don’t think people in this forum are hoping for tornadoes to see life and property lost. Mets and those with an interest in severe weather can’t study and understand tornadoes unless and until they happen. Studying the destruction caused by tornadoes can help to understand them better. So if people do wish for severe weather to occur, I like to think it comes from that aspect.

#2: It is important to remember that we can’t always (correctly) interpret intent via written communication. There are certain aspects of spoken communication that we use to interpret what someone says, and some of those aspects are absent when reading text, increasing the chance to misinterpret what someone says, their intent, etc.

Just a different perspective… stay safe!

Reaction score
Might have to extend the thread title a day, looks like we have a slight risk upgrade incoming for parts of the coastal Southeast including the FL panhandle, southeast AL, most of GA (except NW) and the Carolinas.

This feels like one of those sneaky setups where with the expected shear values, if a storm can find a sweet spot of sufficient 0-3km CAPE at the right (or wrong, as in just as it approaches a populated area) time, it could have a much higher-impact outcome than yesterday (Worst case scenario, something on the order of Nashville-Cookeville 2020).

The one major thing this setup has going for it that yesterday didn't (per SPC) will be actual cyclogenesis which, although it won't occur until late tonight, can make up for a lot of thermodynamic deficiencies which could not be overcome yesterday.

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
There was a very small TDS on the 1:04 and 1:06 scans, right after it crossed the interstate. It fell apart right after

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oh boy time to produce more tornadoes the day following a big event than on said event, again lol

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Both the Hazel Green and Triana tornadoes rated EF-0

Reaction score
Tornado warning in effect for Orangeburg County, SC but storm doesn't look impressive on radar ATTM.

Edit: Expired/cancelled just as I posted. Stronger cell is up near Pinewood/Paxville.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Actually i have a friend here it work that is hopefully going to be doing it in the next couple of weeks.
You can do it yourself for cheap if you pick up an AV capture card for your computer, but if you don't have the know how to capture video or simply don't want to spend anything (a lot of people don't so its understandable) it's good you are going to have someone you trust digitize it for you. Much better than putting valuable film at the mercy of some third party company (*cough cough* Legacybox...) Plan on uploading the footage anywhere like YouTube, Google Drive, MEGA, Dailymotion etc.?

Logo 468x120
Back