• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX December 31, 2021 - January 1, 2022 Severe Threat

Evan

Reaction score
Hey, all! Long time lurker here, and first time posting. I make this place one of my open browser tabs when severe weather might happen. I really appreciate y'all's (all y'all's) knowledge! I've seen so many spot-on observations/predictions here. I'm impressed every time I come here. I am also fascinated by mother nature and the things she can do.

I just want to say as an outsider that sometimes, it seems like people are hoping for tornadoes, and while that is awesome to behold, it sucks for the people under the gun/potentially under the gun/lost their house or worse. So, please keep that in mind. Sorry if I stepped on toes saying this.

Personally, I'm always thrilled when events bust minus the potential negative of it undermining public confidence in weather forecasting. Nonetheless, I can assure you that not a single longtime poster here ever wants to see damage occur to people's propery, their person, or see any lives lost.

However, please keep in mind that even if someone was "cheering" for severe weather that it is entirely meaningless. Humans don't control the outcome of the weather anymore than a random individual can control the outcome of a lottery. We all have a healthy respect for mother nature here, and this forum has always been a valuable source of realtime weather information as well as giving back to communities after damage does occur.

A non-significant number of posters here have personally witnessed a number of tornadoes and have even assisted with search and rescue afterwards. Just something to keep in mind. I can promise you that anyone cheering for death and destruction on this forum won't last long.

WeatherLurker

Reaction score
Personally, I'm always thrilled when events bust minus the potential negative of it undermining public confidence in weather forecasting. Nonetheless, I can assure you that not a single longtime poster here ever wants to see damage occur to people's propery, their person, or see any lives lost.

However, please keep in mind that even if someone was "cheering" for severe weather that it is entirely meaningless. Humans don't control the outcome of the weather anymore than a random individual can control the outcome of a lottery. We all have a healthy respect for mother nature here, and this forum has always been a valuable source of realtime weather information as well as giving back to communities after damage does occur.

A non-significant number of posters here have personally witnessed a number of tornadoes and have even assisted with search and rescue afterwards. Just something to keep in mind. I can promise you that anyone cheering for death and destruction on this forum won't last long.
I've been lurking since before 4/27/2011, so I get it.

Evan

Reaction score
Broad rotation in the storm west of Linden.

Clancy

Reaction score
cell sw of demopolis bears watching. blowing tops over 45k now. first cell that has been able to tower
That cell seems to have acquired quite some rotation over the last few scans. Radar scan is probably a good ways off the ground though, hopefully nothing is getting down low.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
One of my most vivid memories as a kid, when I was eleven, was helping family friends down the road fish what few surviving belongings they could find out of a pond after one of the 11/10/02 F3s swept their house away, so I am definitely fine with a total bust aside from the verification/public confidence issues; tracking tornadoes is neat but what they do certainly isn't

Meanwhile the multiple line segments southwest of Birmingham have really picked up and should probably be watched for any kinks, bows, or notches

WeatherLurker

Reaction score
Well, anyway, I think I'm gonna get my wish for a nice rain. If I'm lucky, there will be a bit of thunder. G'night and sleep well y'all!

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm stuck with the NWS's new radar system. It just looks like a line to me. What am I missing?

I very highly recommend Radarscope depending on the device, it's worlds better than the new NWS radar and an extremely affordable app for the features it offers

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That might be a supercell ahead of the line instead of a line segment, surprisingly strong shear both to the 1km and 3km levels down there according to mesoanalysis; south-central AL always gets in on the action somehow...

kcyalater

Reaction score
That might be a supercell ahead of the line instead of a line segment, surprisingly strong shear both to the 1km and 3km levels down there according to mesoanalysis; south-central AL always gets in on the action somehow...
i think you’re right. everything is so messy right now.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Segment near Childersburg has increased inflow (very strong on higher tilts) and a bit of a notch developing; don't want to let guard down entirely despite the line being very mild so far given the environment

Cell near Selma still appears to be a supercell but nothing seems imminent, still pretty strung out

Screenshot_20220102-021029.png

sak

Reaction score
peak wind gust was just 12 mph when the line came through at my house just SE of Birmingham, and no hail. glad this was a nothing burger for me.

Back