• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX December 16-17 2019 Severe Weather Outbreak

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That's the frustrating thing about tornado damage and surveys, the incredible inconsistencies in what they hit... maybe we could add TDS height info and max VROT beside the EF rating to help compare events more easily

buckeye05

Reaction score
NWS New Orleans is considering upgrading the EF2 Liberty, MS tornado to EF3 pending further engineering analysis.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a map of the ground tracks of the tornadoes that hit North Alabama yesterday? WAFF showed one on their 10 PM newscast tonight but I haven't been able to find it on their website or FB pages. If you are aware of one could you post it on here or provide a link? Thanks!

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a map of the ground tracks of the tornadoes that hit North Alabama yesterday? WAFF showed one on their 10 PM newscast tonight but I haven't been able to find it on their website or FB pages. If you are aware of one could you post it on here or provide a link? Thanks!
WHNT has each of the tracks plotted on google earth here:
The SPC has the storm reports plotted here:

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Justin Gibbs shared videos of the tornadoes on radar
I sent Nathan the video Laurel, MS EF-3 on radar,7FF9490E-C0E2-4BF4-93D5-65D01A75AC79.jpeg he stopped it and got a screenshot and circled where he was located.. the radar doesn’t quite show how much of a “bullseye” they were in.... his hotel was on 16th ave...

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I drove out and looked at the damage on Co Rd 265 about a mile SE of Town Creek. The road is still blocked and crews and volunteers were clearing debris and downed trees. I could only get to about 200 yds to where it crossed 265 but I could see the site where one of the mobile homes stood and it was swept clean. This had to be a high end F2 because the damage for about a quarter mile was very destructive.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I drove out and looked at the damage on Co Rd 265 about a mile SE of Town Creek. The road is still blocked and crews and volunteers were clearing debris and downed trees. I could only get to about 200 yds to where it crossed 265 but I could see the site where one of the mobile homes stood and it was swept clean. This had to be a high end F2 because the damage for about a quarter mile was very destructive.

The NWS rated the wind speed at 134 MPH which is just under EF-3 status. I am not sure what difference it makes if it is an EF-2 at 134 MPH or an EF-3 at 136. Still destructive and unfortunately killed two people. :-(

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The NWS rated the wind speed at 134 MPH which is just under EF-3 status. I am not sure what difference it makes if it is an EF-2 at 134 MPH or an EF-3 at 136. Still destructive and unfortunately killed two people. :-(
They had no chance in that mobile home. She seemed aware (per her FB posts) of the possible severe wx, she was watching it while it was in MS. I’m not sure why they didn’t leave!

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
T
WHNT has each of the tracks plotted on google earth here:
The SPC has the storm reports plotted here:
They talk about 4 tornado touchdowns in this link but no mention of the severe damage at Joe Wheeler State Park near Rogersville. Unless that was unreal straight line wind damage, that had to be a high end F2 or F3 that roared through there

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Nathan and I have joked (as many do) about some of the people they interview after a tornado. It’s usually the most redneck of all.
Well a TV station in MS interviewed Nathan about his tornado experience.
I’ve teased him about say “dere” instead of “there”... he said he watched his interview and realized, he was the most redneck of all that was interviewed. We’ve laughed so hard!
But he looks very handsome and very much alive and uninjured!!
Hopefully he’ll be home in a few days!!

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Nathan had someone help him measure the distance the back of his trailer went from behind his truck to where it landed, it was actually 86 1/2 feet...20,000 lbs of trailer!!

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to believe looking at the pics of the devastation at Joe Wheeler State Park that tornado was only rated as an F1

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Joe Wheeler State Park F1 damage from above... at about 1:30... wow!

Logo 468x120
Back