• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX December 16-17 2019 Severe Weather Outbreak

Evan

Reaction score
Good call by BMX.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't decipher it on the super-res CC. But, on the older lower resolution CC it is definitely noticeable. Kind of odd.
I'm not sure exactly what algorithm they used to derive super-res detail but I imagine the source data is still the raw "lower resolution" initially. It's likely the higher resolution seeks to refine the data to make it sharper but could overcompensate and remove things that are important details. Kind of like a reverse jpg compression for images.

skelly

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what algorithm they used to derive super-res detail but I imagine the source data is still the raw "lower resolution" initially. It's likely the higher resolution seeks to refine the data to make it sharper but could overcompensate and remove things that are important details. Kind of like a reverse jpg compression for images.
I just thought it was too close to the radar site!

Evan

Reaction score

I think this makes a lot of sense. I agree that the processing applied to the super-res product seems to filter out or distort more granular details in certain situations. It's akin to upconverting 720p content to 2160p. Detail will be lost even if the picture looks "better" in many cases.

Kory

Reaction score
We had multiple long track tornadoes yesterday. One in Louisiana was on the ground for over 60 miles. Another in Mississippi of similar length and two that began in Mississippi and continued well into Alabama. Storm mode doesn't matter. We can get damage, destruction, and death with QLCS embedded tornadoes much like supercellular tornadoes. Yesterday was a mix of both...

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Looking at some of the damage pictures I wouldn't be surprised to see some tornadoes rated EF3 depending on construction in that particular area. What are y'alls thoughts?

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tornado Watch issued for portions of Alabama, Georgia and Florida.

1576592083216.png

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Confirmed tornado moving toward Ocilla, GA. Strong TVS and clear TVS. Might miss the town just to the north but it’s going to be a close call.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Confirmed tornado moving toward Ocilla, GA. Strong TVS and clear TVS. Might miss the town just to the north but it’s going to be a close call.
Is that just now? there is no Tornado Warning issued at this time.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
From yesterday, here's the whole of that McComb tornado chase video that somebody shared here in a tweet:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tornado near Demopolis rated prelim mid-end EF2... so we had fairly sizable tornadoes with that long tracked cell in Alabama for sure.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Laurel is preliminary low EF3, so we have broken the usual EF2 upper limit on Dixie outbreak DIs and surpassed most of the 2017 high risk days. NWS HUN says Lawrence County damage is at least EF2, so we're going to have multiple strong tornadoes on file from this. MDT was a bold call so early on but it verified phenomenally well.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Laurel is preliminary low EF3, so we have broken the usual EF2 upper limit on Dixie outbreak DIs and surpassed most of the 2017 high risk days. NWS HUN says Lawrence County damage is at least EF2, so we're going to have multiple strong tornadoes on file from this. MDT was a bold call so early on but it verified phenomenally well.
809E51DC-EBDD-458B-AF21-F928867157B9.jpeg29EBB3C3-50E3-4EA8-AF5B-14C0404E7C64.pngBD724180-AC03-439F-844D-27069CFC85B7.png1FFA374F-5858-4432-B8AF-EEFD8DEF052D.pngCB500BD7-C82B-4DCD-AF32-DF007E352023.png

Reaction score
I didn't see any radar signatures quite on the level of Lee County or Lawrence-Linwood yesterday, but a few of the tornadoes were probably at least briefly capable of EF4 damage had they been hitting something capable of registering those DIs at the time.

Back