• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

COVID-19 detected in United States

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Since I am around covid so much and had the opportunity, I got a 3rd shot of the vaccine as a booster to protect me and my family.
Injected yesterday afternoon, felt great yesterday and felt great today. Just a sore muscle again. Really thought I might get some side effects or Ill but nope, extremely invigorated and happy to have done it. Feel exceptionally lucky to get the opportunity too. Vaccine was gonna get wasted down the sink so grabbing some so I didn't take it away from anyone else. I wish more people would get it so we didn't have to waste so much every day...
For anyone interested I had two Pfizer's initially and this one was Moderna.
Interesting. I assumed the booster would have to be the same shot.

This week I've dealt with what we think is lingering effects from covid. I missed a couple of days of work early in the week and I'm still not 100% though I'm better. It started Sunday afternoon seemingly out of nowhere. Covid is no joke.

Evan

Reaction score
The focus on Jacksonville is because they were the first to surge, they are 1-2 weeks ahead of the rest of the state and 2-3 weeks ahead of much of the rest of the SE. What they do, the rest of the SE is likely to follow in a few weeks. The next closest cities in time-line would be Baton Rouge/New Orleans and the Mobile area, which both had hospitalizations peak about 8 days after Jacksonville did. (not sure on Orlando and Tampa, but I haven't found hospital numbers for those areas). I think another 1-2 weeks of data for those cities (plus Miami, which may have peaked in the last couple days) will give us a much better idea of what to expect from this drop. You may be right and we just sit high and simmer for a while, but I think it is too soon to make that call right as areas are starting their declines.

As far as cases in Florida, those are being heavily impacted currently by the increase of back to school testing. Cases are falling in all age brackets 20+. We saw a similar pattern in August last year when schools ramped up testing, cases stagnated, but hospitalizations kept dropping. This obviously isn't limited to just Florida, but it's had a noticeable impact on cases this past week there. They saw a decent drop in % positive this past week though, despite similar numbers of overall cases.

Do you have a link for the last paragraph? I'd like to read the research on it.

Note: I'm not making a "we are definitely going to see a hard fall" prediction. I don't know. I agree that the numbers haven't turned over as quickly as I would've liked to feel confident we were going to fall hard. I've seen some solid improvements in the numbers around Jacksonville and parts of Louisiana this week, so I'm just saying for me I need another 1-2 weeks of data to feel confident in any directional prediction.

Jacob

Reaction score
They saw a decent drop in % positive this past week though, despite similar numbers of overall cases.

This fact actually made me curious, and I dove into the county data on percent positive for Florida this morning. Looks like almost the entire state saw a size-able drop in % positive this week. They release this data once a week on Fridays, so hopefully we see this trend continue next week.

Florida-Pos-Percent.gif

Derek00

Reaction score
I teach in a county where the majority of the people believe this to be 'overblown' and 'fear mongering', even though spread throughout the county is out of control and the cases are through the roof. It's frustrating because our policy this year is that no kid has to quarantine if their parents do not want them to. Teachers do not have to quarantine unless they want to. We had a co-worker come to school still sick with COVID. 'The Powers that Be' have made the statement that masks mandates and shutting down are not options unless they are legally forced to do so. It makes it very hard to teach when you're consistently worrying about catching the virus.

This thing has shown just how entitled, willfully ignorant, and overly politicized the people in this country have become. It would be really depressing if it wasn't so fu**ing infuriating.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

Bernier’s death was the third this month among conservative talk show hosts outspoken against the coronavirus vaccine.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Currently in Alabama there are 80 more ICU patients than there are ICU beds.

Jacob

Reaction score
Currently in Alabama there are 80 more ICU patients than there are ICU beds.

This is partially due to staffing issues (approximately 100 more ICU beds were 'available' earlier in the year) and regardless of COVID surge, that's going to be a major issue for hospitals going forward.

Note: this isn't downplaying the current level of COVID. The lowest # of ICU beds available we hit during the winter surge was 54 on January 12 when we had 1630 ICU patients statewide and 1684 ICU beds available. The numbers from two days ago here show 1621 ICU patients statewide and 1582 ICU beds were available.

Jacob

Reaction score
Quite the spread spread across Alabama now from south to north as far as hospitalizations go. Mobile is starting to drop pretty quickly (down 22% in the last two weeks), while the Huntsville area has increased by 25% during the same time frame.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Quite the spread spread across Alabama now from south to north as far as hospitalizations go. Mobile is starting to drop pretty quickly (down 22% in the last two weeks), while the Huntsville area has increased by 25% during the same time frame.

I have an older coworker(late 60's/early 70's) who is fully vaccinated and now in the hospital and on a ventilator. I know of several others in the Huntsville area dealing with COVID currently as well.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's just one data point but the drive thru Covid testing place near my house only had 4 cars in line this morning when I went by. For the last week or so there have been anywhere between 10-20 cars in line whenever I went by.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I noticed there were no cars waiting at the express med across from the hospial today. I have seen up to 10-12 cars in line in recent weeks.

Derek00

Reaction score
My sister-in-law got the virus and immediately took to Facebook to post anti-mask/anti-mask nonsense. That line of thinking is absolutely insane to me to begin with, much less keeping those opinions when your ignorance welcomes the virus into your body.

Jacob

Reaction score
I know it's just one data point but the drive thru Covid testing place near my house only had 4 cars in line this morning when I went by. For the last week or so there have been anywhere between 10-20 cars in line whenever I went by.

Interesting. Huntsville Hospital's numbers have been increasing pretty quickly the last couple weeks, then they posted a pretty solid drop today. This *should* be the peak in the area.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
11 people died from Covid at Helen Keller Hospital in Sheffield this last week.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
7 day moving avg of daily new cases have been dropping steadily for nearly 2 weeks in Alabama

Jacob

Reaction score
7 day moving avg of daily new cases have been dropping steadily for nearly 2 weeks in Alabama

Where are you seeing a drop in cases for AL? I haven't really seen a drop in cases yet, at least from a statewide average. There's a clear decrease across S Alabama.

Alabama is really a tale of two states at the moment, at least in the hospitalization data. Southern Alabama is falling quickly, while northern Alabama has continued to increase. For the last few weeks they've offset each other, and because of that the # hospitalized statewide has been roughly steady. Northern AL is following along closely with Tennessee's pattern, while southern AL is following with Florida/LA/MS.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Regional Medical Center in Anniston, AL went from 57 COVID patients to 88 COVID patients, in one week. And Calhoun County Schools are going virtual for a third week. No, its not improving yet, its getting worse.

Jacob

Reaction score
Regional Medical Center in Anniston, AL went from 57 COVID patients to 88 COVID patients, in one week. And Calhoun County Schools are going virtual for a third week. No, its not improving yet, its getting worse.

Do you have a link for the data for NERMC, or is it first hand knowledge? I looked a few months back to try and find their numbers, but outside of HHS data (which is delayed 1-2 weeks) I've never been able to find it.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Do you have a link for the data for NERMC, or is it first hand knowledge? I looked a few months back to try and find their numbers, but outside of HHS data (which is delayed 1-2 weeks) I've never been able to find it.
It was in the Anniston Star.

Logo 468x120
Back