• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

COVID-19 detected in United States

thundersnow

Reaction score
Sounds great if it works and for how long. I might in a year or 2 if I see it’s working and there is no side affects and it’s FDA approved. People are having side effects to severe side effects to even death. Yea happens with flu vaccine but not at the % these vaccines are. Yes you want proof but all you have to do is Google it yourself. Here are examples. Yes I am aware there are chances of reactions with any vaccine. With the Pfizer ceo not having it. That to me is a huge red flag. Like I said I will wait to see the effects in the long run and what happens with next round of vaccines. See how bodies react then.
Seeing those attachments from your Google search...

Tip on things you find in results from a Google search: *Always* try to assess and consider the source of things you find. Cross-reference the information or "headline" with reputable sources. Learn a little about the sites you're getting your information from, as well as the people behind it and consider that they might have an agenda and may well produce inaccurate information.

Please tell me you didn't notice one of the things you attached was from some account named "OnlyWhitePeopleGoToHeaven2." Not exactly an up and up sounding thing I would want to promote, and it doesn't exactly sound, well, reputable, to say the least- let's just put it that way.

Just doing some quick research about the "Defender/Children's Health Defense" source on the second one... it's an anti-vaccine group. Clear agenda there. I would have liked more substantiation of the kind of stories they produce such as that one.

As far as the one on Ashley Taylor Gerren... I looked her up. Do you realize she had Lupus and was on dialysis at the time of her death? Not exactly healthy to begin with, and the vaccine connection was apparently based on people commenting on the post announcing her death and implying she had had the vaccine. All hearsay and no substantiation that the vaccine had any connection with her death, if in fact she even had the vaccine, considering her poor health regardless of the vaccine.

That's just to scratch the surface.

Don't forget what Abraham Lincoln said:

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 0

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score

Tip on things you find in results from a Google search: *Always* try to assess and consider the source of things you find. Cross-reference the information or "headline" with reputable sources. Learn a little about the sites you're getting your information from, as well as the people behind it and consider that they might have an agenda and may well produce inaccurate information.

Please tell me you didn't notice one of the things you attached was from some account named "OnlyWhitePeopleGoToHeaven2." Not exactly an up and up sounding thing I would want to promote, and it doesn't exactly sound, well, reputable, to say the least- let's just put it that way.

Just doing some quick research about the "Defender/Children's Health Defense" source on the second one... it's an anti-vaccine group. Clear agenda there. I would have liked more substantiation of the kind of stories they produce such as that one.

As far as the one on Ashley Taylor Gerren... I looked her up. Do you realize she had Lupus and was on dialysis at the time of her death? Not exactly healthy to begin with, and the vaccine connection was apparently based on people commenting on the post announcing her death and implying she had had the vaccine. All hearsay and no substantiation that the vaccine had any connection with her death, if in fact she even had the vaccine, considering her poor health regardless of the vaccine.

Trust me when I say this - that was wasted effort.

Evan

Reaction score

Just to add some anecdotal evidence here...I have lupus and the virus hasn't killed me. At least, not that I'm aware of. I guess it's possible I'm a ghost right now and don't know it.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Meanwhile, in the real world...

Israel, which has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, recorded zero COVID deaths yesterday and has largely returned to normal.

Last edited:

Matthew70

Reaction score
I do have a serious question. Was wondering when the ones that took the vaccination need the booster shots or the next round of shots. Will they still be considered vaccinated? Will the percent vaccinated start over. If the vaccine does not work in a year let’s say. Is that individual still considered vaccinated? Does the vaccine stay forever in ones body?

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The protection probably lasts at least a year, according to this story from Thursday, but we won't know for sure until we get there.

My non-expert speculation is that it might be an annual thing like the flu shot, depending on how effective the initial vaccination campaign is. It seems unlikely to me that we'll completely eradicate a virus with such high infectivity, even if we get very high vaccination rates, so it might be necessary to have it annually (although it'll probably be much more effective than the flu shot since even with new variants, SARS-Cov-2 won't have anywhere near the genetic diversity of the flu viruses).

Maybe down the road they'll develop something that offers more than a year of protection, but I don't think it'll be something like the measles vaccine, where you get your two shots early in life and have lifelong immunity. That's probably not realistic for a disease that's already shown a pretty impressive ability to mutate and develop new strains.

Jacob

Reaction score
Meanwhile, in the real world...

Israel, which has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, recorded zero COVID deaths yesterday and has largely returned to normal.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Israel and their results, but they are similar to parts of the US in that we won't really know until conditions are favorable again for spread. They were in a decline with a similar slope this time last year as well. Hopefully we see this year's numbers significantly undercut where last year's numbers bottomed out before they started increasing again by July.

1619317428858.png

Matthew70

Reaction score
About Israel. Are they entering Spring or do they even have a winter/seasons? Also India and Japan obviously are being pummeled. Are they having seasons? Wondering if this is a virus that is more like flu. Cold seasons virus.

Jacob

Reaction score
About Israel. Are they entering Spring or do they even have a winter/seasons? Also India and Japan obviously are being pummeled. Are they having seasons? Wondering if this is a virus that is more like flu. Cold seasons virus.

Israel is around the same latitude as much of the southern US.

This is a coronavirus, and all coronaviruses are seasonal viruses.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's possible that there's seasonality to it, but that doesn't explain why Israel would be doing so much better than other countries with similar climates but lower vaccination rates. It's also worth noting that they've had a pattern of long term decline during their vaccination campaign even during periods where cases increased last year (it's not a perfect comparison since those were the early days of the virus, but the progress they've made relative to other countries is pretty convincing evidence that their vaccination campaign is making a significant dent in hospitalizations and mortality).

The situation in India is very very very very bad. 1 million cases in the past three days (almost 350,000 today). The Indian government (both national and state level) has handled it really poorly and the restrictions imposed on the export of vaccine ingredients and the manufacture of generic vaccines that the US and other countries have implemented are exacerbating the problem.

Jacob

Reaction score
It's possible that there's seasonality to it, but that doesn't explain why Israel would be doing so much better than other countries with similar climates but lower vaccination rates. It's also worth noting that they've had a pattern of long term decline during their vaccination campaign even during periods where cases increased last year (it's not a perfect comparison since those were the early days of the virus, but the progress they've made relative to other countries is pretty convincing evidence that their vaccination campaign is making a significant dent in hospitalizations and mortality).

The situation in India is very very very very bad. 1 million cases in the past three days (almost 350,000 today). The Indian government (both national and state level) has handled it really poorly and the restrictions imposed on the export of vaccine ingredients and the manufacture of generic vaccines that the US and other countries have implemented are exacerbating the problem.

Seasonality is the primary reason it started falling and continued to fall when it did, the depth to which it falls is where the vaccinations should be the primary driver. Similar to the US, vaccinations had almost 0 to do with when things turned around here, but the hope is that with enough people vaccinated, we'll fall much further than we did in 2020, and won't see a similar summer wave or fall/winter wave as we had in 2020.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Seasonality is the primary reason it started falling and continued to fall when it did, the depth to which it falls is where the vaccinations should be the primary driver. Similar to the US, vaccinations had almost 0 to do with when things turned around here, but the hope is that with enough people vaccinated, we'll fall much further than we did in 2020, and won't see a similar summer wave or fall/winter wave as we had in 2020.
So when you say seasonality... do you mean that Covid spread is directly proportional to the colder winter season?

Jacob

Reaction score
So when you say seasonality... do you mean that Covid spread is directly proportional to the colder winter season?

The best answer to that is...sorta. There's some set of environmental conditions that allows it to spread much more rapidly than other times. When those conditions no longer exist, things turn around and you see a rapid decline back to some baseline amount of spread. I've seen a few different theories about exactly what drives this, but I won't make any claims that I understand/know why this phenomenon occurs, just that it does occur. This happens every year with all kinds of respiratory viruses.

In some areas, yes this makes this primarily a cold season/winter season virus (a decent portion of the US). In certain areas, you get a fall wave and then a spring wave (Canada, Michigan). Similar to the flu, there's certain areas of the globe where spread is more in the summer than winter, which is generally in the tropical regions. This is thought to be why we saw a summer wave across much of the deep south and Arizona last summer, and why we should expect an increase around the same time period this year.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Generally you think of winter time being the "season" for cold and flu. Reasons: indoor activities, close contact increasing spread. Ultraviolet radiation being very detrimental to many infectious respiratory viruses and the winter season has less intense radiation due to distance and length of exposure to the sun (a lot of grey cloudy winter days as well).
Of note the SARS-CoV-2 virus appears to be (and has been since day 1) extremely poor at surviving on surfaces, especially porous ones, so that route of transmission has never really been an important factor in the pandemic. SARS-CoV-2 is also more infectious than other many other endemic winter respiratory viruses so likely won't have trouble spreading even if people are out and about.
Especially after the results of last spring and summer, I wouldn't be expecting this particular coronavirus to follow the winter primetime model of things. It is very susceptible to perish on surfaces and in sunlight yet it's still managed to infect at least 146,000,000 people in 77 weeks.

Not saying winter isn't the worst period for covid, it probably is. But I don't think summertime by itself will give us much of a reprieve. Other things going on right now will likely contribute to lower numbers than the season.

Matthew70

Reaction score
Japan has definitely went the wrong way also. I’d say China is much worse than they are telling. Australia well they are just like martial law over there if they get one case. Canada the same.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Seems like Biden reversed course on exporting vaccine ingredients to India. Better late than never, I guess, but a faster response could have at least blunted the spread of the virus instead of waiting until it got totally out of control.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Seems like Biden reversed course on exporting vaccine ingredients to India. Better late than never, I guess, but a faster response could have at least blunted the spread of the virus instead of waiting until it got totally out of control.
I think he was hoping some of our adults here would come to their senses and take the shot.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think he was hoping some of our adults here would come to their senses and take the shot.
Well this was really about exporting raw materials (and our surplus stock of the AstraZeneca shot). I don't think the developed world in general has done a great job of assisting the developing world in general, but India has become basically the worst case scenario. Their 7-day rolling average went from under 20,000 to over 280,000 in the space of a month and their government's response has been...probably the worst in the world to this point.

Back