• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

COVID-19 detected in United States

Jacob

Reaction score
Interesting- is there an explanation for that?

Also, forgot to respond to this earlier in the week. It was medical mumbo jumbo that was over my head as to the possible explanation, I should've included the link at the time because now I can't find the study I was talking about.

I suspect it is partially both that and what KOD mentioned above that contributed to it.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Just had another friend pass away from the damage Covid did to his lungs. Spent over 50 days in the hospital on oxygen then another 2 weeks on a vent before passing away. He was in his late 60s and had underlying conditions. Such a good guy. He was loved and will be missed by many.

Jacob

Reaction score
While I've said before I have no plans to get the vaccine anytime soon, I don't deny how amazing the mRNA technology is on its face. In a strange way, could COVID occuring end up being a net positive for the world? That may be too optimistic of a viewpoint, but perhaps we'll see a lot of good come out of this technology which was pushed to the forefront because of COVID.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
While I've said before I have no plans to get the vaccine anytime soon, I don't deny how amazing the mRNA technology is on its face. In a strange way, could COVID occuring end up being a net positive for the world? That may be too optimistic of a viewpoint, but perhaps we'll see a lot of good come out of this technology which was pushed to the forefront because of COVID.

That tweeter has it completely backwards, the mRNA covid vaccine owes it's existence to around two decades of mRNA research for HIV.
No doubt though that this virus will stimulate funding and interest into an area of research that has been absolutely deserving of attention.

Jacob

Reaction score
That tweeter has it completely backwards, the mRNA covid vaccine owes it's existence to around two decades of mRNA research for HIV.
No doubt though that this virus will stimulate funding and interest into an area of research that has been absolutely deserving of attention.

Right, I knew it wasn’t new, but I thought the rushed COVID stuff pushed it to actually be implemented and now they are moving forward with it in areas such as HIV, cancer, etc. with what they’ve learned/proven with the COVID vaccine. Am I misreading that?

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Right, I knew it wasn’t new, but I thought the rushed COVID stuff pushed it to actually be implemented and now they are moving forward with it in areas such as HIV, cancer, etc. with what they’ve learned/proven with the COVID vaccine. Am I misreading that?
You're completely correct that the covid stuff will help speed up & move forward future research and they have learned a lot of promising things about safety/efficiency potential from it. I just had a small beef with "It is based on the moderna's covid vaccine". Maybe I'm misconstruing it but it's the other way around - practically all of the covid mRNA vaccine comes from HIV/cancer research, tests and trials.
That particular study the tweeter is referring to started the phase 1 trials in 2018 as well, so entirely not "based" on covid anything.
The rapid roll out of the vaccine for covid is great for the advancement of the mRNA tech in those areas however and I'm excited to see mRNA expand to help fight viruses we don't have good vaccinations for - or other targeted therapies, immune system modulation.

Jacob

Reaction score
You're completely correct that the covid stuff will help speed up & move forward future research and they have learned a lot of promising things about safety/efficiency potential from it. I just had a small beef with "It is based on the moderna's covid vaccine". Maybe I'm misconstruing it but it's the other way around - practically all of the covid mRNA vaccine comes from HIV/cancer research, tests and trials.
That particular study the tweeter is referring to started the phase 1 trials in 2018 as well, so entirely not "based" on covid anything.
The rapid roll out of the vaccine for covid is great for the advancement of the mRNA tech in those areas however and I'm excited to see mRNA expand to help fight viruses we don't have good vaccinations for - or other targeted therapies, immune system modulation.

Understood, thanks for the clarification. I'm guilty of mostly just reading the headline and not the entire article.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
The total new cases per day has fallen under 200 in Alabama for 2 days in a row... very encouraging! Is there date in tabular form anywhere? I can find plenty sources for graphs over time but no tables.

Jacob

Reaction score
Michigan's current wave is getting close to their winter highs in the # hospitalized. On March 5th, they had 850 people hospitalized. Today they have 3549 hospitalized. They should be near their peak (hopefully), as they peaked last spring around this time. This will actually be a good early indicator for the vaccines here if we see a large reduction in deaths with this wave vs. their fall wave.

gangstonc

Reaction score
“New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey had more than 196,400 of the country's 453,360 cases reported in the last week, according to data available Wednesday morning.
Those states are home to just 22% of the US population, according to estimates from the US Census Bureau.”

I thought this was a fascinating statistic. It would be interesting to find the root cause, as these states have varied policies, weather, demographics, etc.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I received my second Moderna dose this morning. Hoping the side effects are minimal and looking for to getting that 95% efficacy in two weeks. Yes, I will continue to wear masks indoors regardless of the mandate expiring.

Matthew70

Reaction score
Have they figured out how long the vaccines work and how often people will have to get a booster? Will be interesting going forward when America hits 60-70% taken vaccines and rest will not. With masks coexisting was easier. With some states requiring vaccines and most not what will be the ability for coexisting. I read an article on Daily Wire saying it would never work. My niece says at their hospital they are seeing more that have had vaccine coming in with Covid. She does not know yet how long it has been since those individuals took the vaccines.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Have they figured out how long the vaccines work and how often people will have to get a booster? Will be interesting going forward when America hits 60-70% taken vaccines and rest will not. With masks coexisting was easier. With some states requiring vaccines and most not what will be the ability for coexisting. I read an article on Daily Wire saying it would never work. My niece says at their hospital they are seeing more that have had vaccine coming in with Covid. She does not know yet how long it has been since those individuals took the vaccines.
So far, they think most vaccines last at least 6 months. Of course, they can’t be sure if they last longer, because people haven’t been vaccinated longer than that.

Matthew70

Reaction score
My mom took it a few months ago. Said she will not take again. Cancer survivor and 72.
I was surprised this is a possibility so early. I figured it would get to 60-70% taken vaccines till hit wall.

Thankful my state is no vaccine passports.

Matthew70

Reaction score
I don’t understand why some are so keeping up with how many are vaccinated. In another 6-8 months the count starts over again because those that took the vaccine will need it again or a booster. It will always be resetting. Plus how many will not take the vaccine again?

Evan

Reaction score
I don’t understand why some are so keeping up with how many are vaccinated. In another 6-8 months the count starts over again because those that took the vaccine will need it again or a booster. It will always be resetting. Plus how many will not take the vaccine again?

Your understanding is flawed.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I’ve noticed a gradual spike in Covid cases in my county (Shelby Co) and in Alabama. I am thinking it’s due to Easter gatherings.

Jacob

Reaction score

I can't speak for Evan above, but I do agree with him that your understanding is flawed (could be for different reasons, I don't know his). We don't know exactly how long the vaccines will provide immunity, but it is likely longer than 6-8 months. Natural immunity likely provides years of immunity, at least to some degree, so there's no reason to think the vaccine won't provide that long either. Even if you get it after the vaccine (say a year or two after), you are likely to have a less severe case of it. Could future booster shots be needed? It is possible, but even for the people that need them, they aren't in the same spot as an unvaccinated and previously uninfected person.

One thing that worries me going forward is how people, particularly media and certain parts of the over-zealous medical community, treat future cases of COVID. COVID is never going away completely, zero-COVID is a fantasy. It's going to be in circulation this year, next year, and 50 years from now. Between vaccine immunity and natural immunity, we should hit herd immunity and see the spread be much less, and in future winters the severity should be less because of multiple years of exposure to both the virus directly and the vaccines. Due to this, it'll likely be no more severe than the flu (or perhaps less severe than the seasonal flu) within a year or two. If the efficacy numbers from the vaccine trials hit anywhere near that in the real world, it could certainly be much less severe than the flu overall. Once we hit that point, will people continue to treat it the way they do now when cases start to increase? Coronavirus OC43 is thought to have caused a very similar pandemic to COVID-19 in 1890 (albeit unproven, some research suggests OC43 caused the Russian Flu pandemic of 1890), and it's one of the common causes of the cold today. We track it to some extent, but nobody knows or cares outside of certain parts of the medical community. I hope that once we turn that corner that COVID won't be much more than an afterthought, but I'm not optimistic that that will be the case.

Logo 468x120
Back