• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

COVID-19 detected in United States

ARCC

Reaction score
I've posted about the flu before, and I believe the most likely reason for the low flu season was COVID itself, in the form of viral interference. Flu, RSV, other coronaviruses have all been significantly reduced since March 2020, regardless of level of mask-wearing, social distancing, etc. Countries/states that locked down hard and countries/states that stayed mostly/wide open all saw those viruses disappear at the same rate. The only places that have seen a near-normal amount of flu are parts of SE Asia and parts of Africa, where COVID hasn't been nearly as prominent. As we see COVID decline (hopefully) the rest of this year, we should see a return of the flu, RSV, other Coronaviruses, etc. We've actually seen a large increase of coronaviruses OC43 and NL63 over the last month across the US, which is an encouraging sign.
In the past month, my family has been hit by two stomach viruses(the latter kicked all of our butts) and my three younger ones have just beat RSV. Yeah, it’s back as well.

Im actually worried somewhat about what may be coming. In the almost ten years of having kids, we’ve never had RSV in the house.

Jacob

Reaction score
In the past month, my family has been hit by two stomach viruses(the latter kicked all of our butts) and my three younger ones have just beat RSV. Yeah, it’s back as well.

Im actually worried somewhat about what may be coming. In the almost ten years of having kids, we’ve never had RSV in the house.

We had the stomach bug storm through my house about a month ago too, it was not fun at all for any of us.

Interesting to hear about the RSV in your family, there has been a noticeable uptick in the last few weeks in national surveillance data, but still much below a normal winter’s level.

Matthew70

Reaction score
Yes I am aware he did not mention masks but is that part of the reason also taking the vaccine? To be able to not wear masks and get together? In other words his flip flop continues.

Jacob

Reaction score
There's a lot of signs that this "spring wave" (really only a wave in the NE, and only a large wave in Michigan) is peaking, which lines up roughly when it peaked last year. Cases and hospitalizations should start falling pretty sharply in there in the next couple of weeks, which will cause the national statistics to start dropping as well.

Jacob

Reaction score
This won't help the vaccine hesitancy any, Johnson and Johnson is pausing the distribution if their vaccine due to reported cases of rare blood clotting issues, or basically the same thing that the AstraZeneca vaccine is getting paused/suspended for over in Europe. These two are very similar, so it's not surprising that both are having similar side effects. Sounds like a very small number overall as of now at least.

Kory

Reaction score
My goodness. The federal government has bungled nearly every single thing related to COVID. From initially rejecting masks and then doing an about face, to in person schooling, to vaccine messaging.

Anti-vaxxers were just handed so much material to spout off misinformation thanks to the FDA. Might as well not offer the J&J vaccine after today because public trust has been eroded to nothing.

6 cases out of 7 million doses! I think I have a better chance of getting struck by lightning...twice.

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score

Evan

Reaction score
My goodness. The federal government has nearly bungled every single thing related to COVID. From initially rejecting masks and then doing an about face, to in person schooling, to vaccine messaging.

Anti-vaxxers were just handed so much material to spout off misinformation thanks to the FDA. Might as well not offer the J&J vaccine after today because public trust has been eroded to nothing.

6 cases out of 7 million doses! I think I have a better chance of getting struck my lightning...twice.

It will negatively impact the acceptance of the mRNA vaccines as well. Such a moronic action by the FDA. And, to do so after seeing EXACTLY what happened when European authorities did something similar, is outright public health malpractice.

The general public isn't able to quantify such a low-level of risk in specific people versus the overall potential risk of COVID. The average American does not comprehend probabilities and odds. It's why idiots like Alex Berenson are able to spread so much disinformation and BS.

And, yes, at virtually every step of the way Federal authorities have had serious missteps. It's to be expected -- they're human after all. I can tolerate the occasional misstep.

What absolutely explodes my brain is how out of touch the FDA and CDC appear today. Apparently, they themselves aren't able to quantify the potential risk of increasing vaccine hesitancy and skepticism. Some dummy thinks that by being open and transparent with the American people that they'll have more faith in the vaccine and experts. Clearly, they've never met the American people outside of their educated "we're all rational scientists bubble."

Now, when they reverse course in a few hours or days, people will be even more skeptical and hesitant about the vaccine. Bang up job, guys.

Evan

Reaction score
I can't speak for Evan above, but I do agree with him that your understanding is flawed (could be for different reasons, I don't know his). We don't know exactly how long the vaccines will provide immunity, but it is likely longer than 6-8 months. Natural immunity likely provides years of immunity, at least to some degree, so there's no reason to think the vaccine won't provide that long either. Even if you get it after the vaccine (say a year or two after), you are likely to have a less severe case of it. Could future booster shots be needed? It is possible, but even for the people that need them, they aren't in the same spot as an unvaccinated and previously uninfected person.

One thing that worries me going forward is how people, particularly media and certain parts of the over-zealous medical community, treat future cases of COVID. COVID is never going away completely, zero-COVID is a fantasy. It's going to be in circulation this year, next year, and 50 years from now. Between vaccine immunity and natural immunity, we should hit herd immunity and see the spread be much less, and in future winters the severity should be less because of multiple years of exposure to both the virus directly and the vaccines. Due to this, it'll likely be no more severe than the flu (or perhaps less severe than the seasonal flu) within a year or two. If the efficacy numbers from the vaccine trials hit anywhere near that in the real world, it could certainly be much less severe than the flu overall. Once we hit that point, will people continue to treat it the way they do now when cases start to increase? Coronavirus OC43 is thought to have caused a very similar pandemic to COVID-19 in 1890 (albeit unproven, some research suggests OC43 caused the Russian Flu pandemic of 1890), and it's one of the common causes of the cold today. We track it to some extent, but nobody knows or cares outside of certain parts of the medical community. I hope that once we turn that corner that COVID won't be much more than an afterthought, but I'm not optimistic that that will be the case.

The reasons you listed are largely the same as what I was going to point out to matthew70. Unfortunately, I believe he's been receiving some inaccurate and/or distorted information about the vaccine, and it's made it very difficult for him to differentiate between scientifically validated conclusions versus mere rumor or exaggeration.

I think he's had a very productive conversation in this thread over the past few pages. I appreciate his candor and willingness to participate, even though he holds some opinions that differ somewhat significantly from many of us in this thread.

matthew70, I hope you'll stay with us here and we can all continue to discuss the vaccine, COVID, etc. I understand your skepticism and hesitancy about receiving the vaccine. I was not intending to be be brusque when I stated your understanding of the vaccine was flawed. I was short on time and planned to explain further later on. Others have more or less already done so, so let's circle back to the major theme here.

You're concerned about the vaccines and how quickly they were brought to market. Fair enough. As I said, I completely understand and respect your concerns. What else are you worried about as it pertains to the vaccine? What other things make you hesitant to get the vaccine or to not trust it?

If you don't mind, would you have a problem sharing your age range and occupation/field with us? I'm 38 and work in IT in the defense industry. You don't even have to share that much if you don't want to. I do know, however, that certain occupations have shown to have more skepticism towards the vaccine, and I'm curious about your occupation because you said so many people you work with hold similar opinions.

Evan

Reaction score
The FDA's decision is really going to go down as one of the stupidest decisions ever made. I am forced to conclude we really are living in a simulation and this is some kind of a glitch in the program. There's just no way the FDA and federal government can be this dumb. It just can't be.

Jacob

Reaction score
The FDA's decision is really going to go down as one of the stupidest decisions ever made. I am forced to conclude we really are living in a simulation and this is some kind of a glitch in the program. There's just no way the FDA and federal government can be this dumb. It just can't be.

There has to be more to the story than the 6 out of 7 million that's being passed around. Something about this doesn't pass the sniff test.

Matthew70

Reaction score
Thing is America was only going to get to about 60% to take vaccines. Then how many do not take the booster or another round when it’s time? Either way the vaccines were going to only do so much.

Matthew70

Reaction score
There is more to it. Look how many European countries had already stopped it. Along with the other vaccine. So now 2 vaccines are on hold. Anyone trusting our govt. knows what it’s doing should read history. Our govt. is lost.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
There is more to it. Look how many European countries had already stopped it. Along with the other vaccine. So now 2 vaccines are on hold. Anyone trusting our govt. knows what it’s doing should read history. Our govt. is lost.
How many is that? I didn't think J&J had even begun delivery to Europe yet. Do you have some info that supports European countries "had already stopped it"?

Jacob

Reaction score
It passes the sniff test if you consider that, in modern society, the normal reaction is to overreact.

I don't disagree at all, it's just hard for me to believe there's not something more to this story.

Edit: Took out the VAERS comment, the reports for the other vaccines were a different type of blood clot.

Last edited:

Matthew70

Reaction score
No worries at all Evan. I understand life gets busy for us all. I will share my age and occupation and field I’m around. I am not offended nor am I trying to offend nor be rude or disrespectful to anyone. Also definitely not trying to change peoples minds. I am 50 and pretty healthy. Big runner and fitness. I do have asthma. My background is I worked as respiratory therapist RT 5 years. Then changed occupations to sales and management. I have been in this field for 32 years now. I deal with military, manufacturing, construction, automotive industries. My niece who is also an RT is not taking the vaccine. She is now starting to see individuals come into hospital that have had the vaccine. Her family had it. My sister and her were the ones who had a severe cold. My bro in law who is the highest risk of anyone literally he’s a walking miracle. He only had a sore throat and felt rough a couple days. Other family members just a mild flu. Another who is high risk just a moderate flu. I know some who have passed away and many who have not. My family and people in the field I’m around all feel it’s part of nature and it will always be when it’s your time it’s your time. Yes some have passed that we’re healthy and others that were unhealthy did not. As far as taking vaccine. Most I’m around want to see what happens when the booster is given and see how long and what affects happen in a year or 2. Most feel it will be like other meds. If you took this vaccine call this lawyer now. I’m not against in future. I just want to see what happens. As already starting to see glimpses of. People that get vaccine could have side affects that no one is responsible for which is sad. Such as shaking and Bell’s palsy. Even death in some. They get no compensation. Also some are still getting Covid and ending up in hospital anyway. You can not gather as Fauci now says. Still have to wear a masks. So as many say. Vaccine accomplishes nothing for most. Still less 1% dying. Sad yes but life is a risk living.

Logo 468x120
Back