• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

COVID-19 detected in United States

Jacob

Reaction score
Europe is having an increase of cases very similar to what the southern US just experienced. It'll be interesting to see if they have the same typical 40-60 day peak like the southern US had.

Jacob

Reaction score
Just a short update, hospitalizations in southern states continue to fall at a steady pace throughout the region.

Arizona was the first state in this "sunbelt wave", and their hospitalizations have now fallen to the lowest value they've recorded. They started reporting hospitalizations on April 13 with 535 hospitalized. After peaking at 3517 hospitalized on July 14th, they are at 489 hospitalized as of September 14th.

Texas peaked at 10,893 hospitalized on July 26th, and are currently at 3,391 hospitalized as of September 14th.

Similarly, California peaked at 8,820 hospitalized on July 26th, and are currently at 3665 hospitalized...their lowest value since April 10th.

Same case in Alabama where we peaked on August 6th at 1,613 hospitalized. Current value for today is at 718 hospitalized.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
My sister died as a result of Covid on September 1st. She was 52 years old. She did have pre-existing conditions, but she was living with those. She could not survive this virus though. :(
I am so sorry Melody... this virus is terrible and I pray for peace and comfort for you and your family

akt1985

Reaction score
The Big Ten changed their mind and will play an 8 game conference schedule beginning in October. Still, some college football games have had to be postponed due to COVID outbreaks on campus.

_melody_

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I am so sorry Melody... this virus is terrible and I pray for peace and comfort for you and your family

Thank you. It's just such a horrible virus, and it's made even worse by having to be isolated. It's heartbreaking.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
UNA found the first asymptomatic case on campus through the random sentinel testing program of faculty, staff, and students. Out of the 95 tests done so far they have only found the one positive case. Testing started the week of Labor Day so we have a small sample size thus far.

Jacob

Reaction score
Guvnah Meemaw extended the face mask deal through November 8th today.

Will be an interesting case study to compare it to surrounding areas like FL and MS that have lifted mask mandates, though I'm noticing a downtrend in compliance with mask ordinances already.

Cliffhanger

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
President and First Lady Trump have both tested positive for Covid.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My mother in law survived Covid in April thru May, sadly my father in law who was 92, didn’t survive. Nanny turned 90 on September 29th and we gave her a party that was mostly drive-by, with masks and socially distancing.
F495AEFD-47B2-41C0-96B5-2ED886B7E72C.jpeg

Jacob

Reaction score
Europe is having an increase of cases very similar to what the southern US just experienced. It'll be interesting to see if they have the same typical 40-60 day peak like the southern US had.

It's worth pointing out that this ongoing surge is all across Europe. Per capita it is every bit as high or higher than the recent Sunbelt surge in the US was. For all the flack the US has gotten for how it has handled COVID, Europe hasn't handled it any better.

As for the spike-peak like we saw, Spain may have rolled over already, as it was the first to start showing this current surge. UK/France/Belgium/Netherlands/etc. are all seeing cases rise rapidly. I haven't looked for hospitalization data for Europe, so I'm not sure how they are faring there currently. It was the best indicator here.

Jacob

Reaction score
It's worth pointing out that this ongoing surge is all across Europe. Per capita it is every bit as high or higher than the recent Sunbelt surge in the US was. For all the flack the US has gotten for how it has handled COVID, Europe hasn't handled it any better.

To add to this, the US's highest single day count of reported cases came on July 24 with 78,892. France reported 26,896 new cases today, with around 1/5 the population of the US. This would be the equivalent to around 125k cases in the US. Netherland's cases today would be equivalent to around 125k US cases, and Belgium's single day cases today would be equivalent to around 150k US cases. On the "lower end", the UK recorded 17,500 cases a few days ago, which is equivalent to around 85k US cases.

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
To add to this, the US's highest single day count of reported cases came on July 24 with 78,892. France reported 26,896 new cases today, with around 1/5 the population of the US. This would be the equivalent to around 125k cases in the US. Netherland's cases today would be equivalent to around 125k US cases, and Belgium's single day cases today would be equivalent to around 150k US cases. On the "lower end", the UK recorded 17,500 cases a few days ago, which is equivalent to around 85k US cases.

Belgium reported almost 8000 cases today, which per capita is almost 3x as many cases as the worst US day. That translates to around 225k US cases.

Comparing a small country to an entire nation probably isn't the most fair of comparisons. They are probably better compared directly to say Florida, which had very similar numbers in their recent peak.

Belgium got hit really hard by deaths in the first wave back in the spring. Seeing how they fare with this current wave in terms of deaths will be interesting to see.

Jacob

Reaction score
And much of Europe is going back to some form of a "partial shutdown".

Hopefully if there is a second wave in the US, we don't follow their lead this next time.

Jacob

Reaction score
Some interesting data out there in regards to COVID and the flu. Supposedly one respiratory virus can basically inhibit a person from getting other respiratory viruses, and since COVID-19 spreads easier than the flu, the flu is having a difficult time finding any susceptible hosts. The flu has seemingly all but disappeared worldwide in 2020, the southern hemisphere basically didn't have a flu season.

Flu tests from 2019 weeks 15-40 worldwide totaled 1,258,346 tests with a positive rate of 9.32%
Flu tests from 2020 weeks 15-40 worldwide totaled 1,393,276 tests with a positive rate of 0.18%

gangstonc

Reaction score
Some interesting data out there in regards to COVID and the flu. Supposedly one respiratory virus can basically inhibit a person from getting other respiratory viruses, and since COVID-19 spreads easier than the flu, the flu is having a difficult time finding any susceptible hosts. The flu has seemingly all but disappeared worldwide in 2020, the southern hemisphere basically didn't have a flu season.

Flu tests from 2019 weeks 15-40 worldwide totaled 1,258,346 tests with a positive rate of 9.32%
Flu tests from 2020 weeks 15-40 worldwide totaled 1,393,276 tests with a positive rate of 0.18%
That would be wonderful news.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think a confounding factor might be that people are limiting the kinds of behaviors/interactions that spread the flu because of COVID restrictions.

Jacob

Reaction score
I think a confounding factor might be that people are limiting the kinds of behaviors/interactions that spread the flu because of COVID restrictions.

I'm sure that's a contributing factor, but it doesn't explain a 97% decrease in the number of flu cases from previous years to this year.

Logo 468x120
Back