• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

COVID-19 detected in United States

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It sounds like they're going to start reopening somethings in DC as long as infection rates don't spike again. Cautiously optimistic. I should at least be able to go back to my office and get some stuff from my desk.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have to say, I think a month ago I would've agreed with you. I think sentiment has changed pretty quickly over the last few weeks, at least in the somewhat small circles that I deal with.
Eh, that's ascertainment bias. The polling data is pretty consistent.

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
Eh, that's ascertainment bias. The polling data is pretty consistent.

I don’t disagree and it is certainly limited in scope. I’ve just seen a shift in every group I interact with (friends, family, coworkers, golf groups).

Do you have a link to some of the polling data for it?

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don’t disagree and it is certainly limited in scope. I’ve just seen a shift in every group I interact with (friends, family, coworkers, golf groups).

Do you have a link to some of the polling data for it?
For starters:

Jacob

Reaction score
For starters:

Neither one of those polls really address what I was responding to.

A lot of people agreed with social distancing and the initial actions, but are for opening back up now.

I had to look back at your original post and see where you mentioned masks with the others. My original response to you wasn’t intended to address the masks issue, just the shutdown/open things up issue. The masks (as your polling shows) seems to be split much less down political lines than some of the other issues.

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score

Jacob

Reaction score
What 70% poll are you referring to? Besides that, I believe the original post that sparked this discussion was in reference to "opening up everything" which the Harvard poll you linked doesn't cover.

Now that I've gone back and re-read his post a 3rd time (heh, see my earlier edit about masks), I can see the point you are making, BUT, his immediate follow up point was that "majority of people across the political spectrum are supportive of key public health measures like maintaining shutdowns of most non-essential businesses."

Perhaps I should've been more specific in my original reply as to what exactly I was replying to, as that second sentence is where I think the public has largely flipped over the last month.

As for the 70%, I'll continue look for it. I saw a screenshot of it yesterday (it was apparently the same poll run back in April), but I haven't been able to locate it or the poll this morning.

Jacob

Reaction score
Now that I've gone back and re-read his post a 3rd time (heh, see my earlier edit about masks), I can see the point you are making, BUT, his immediate follow up point was that "majority of people across the political spectrum are supportive of key public health measures like maintaining shutdowns of most non-essential businesses."

Perhaps I should've been more specific in my original reply as to what exactly I was replying to, as that second sentence is where I think the public has largely flipped over the last month.

As for the 70%, I'll continue look for it. I saw a screenshot of it yesterday (it was apparently the same poll run back in April), but I haven't been able to locate it or the poll this morning.

Looks like I should've dug deeper before bringing in the 70% number, it was from a CBS poll in April and the question was slightly different. Not a 1 to 1 comparison really to the Harvard poll I posted yesterday.

Here's the link to the CBS poll from April. Question #9 would be the one where that figure came from

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Here's a visual on things in Oregon. It's complex. I like this Tableau format (which I think anyone can use for any data-based information), but Alabama's data page with ArcGIS is just as good. The numbers are grim, but thanks for sharing that link.

We're starting to open up a little, with local businesses and transit in our county requiring masks for the first time, as there are more people out. There are still many restrictions, but a grocery run doesn't quite feel like going out after an apocalypse any more.

For the LAX crowd :) , we're under the Seattle-California air route, and yesterday and today, for the first time in many weeks, I saw a some contrails. Three today! Still low, compared to what it was, but things seem to be picking up.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Ivermectin!?
Does that explain why no outbreak among pets and livestock?
And why were these human trials started in June? In Australia?
And Gates is funding these trials? I guess Trump won’t tout it and media won’t mock it...

People should be allowed to take it. If it appears to be working and has been approved to treat other conditions then let the doctors use it. What do you have to lose?

skelly

Reaction score
People should be allowed to take it. If it appears to be working and has been approved to treat other conditions then let the doctors use it. What do you have to lose?
I agree with that. I was just surprised then I am still surprised but not surprised that I am not seeing or hearing anymore about it. Drives me crazy.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
In today's summary, Reuters does admit, without giving figures, that some Western European countries, topped by Belgium, have higher proportional death rates than us.

They also summarize each state. Here's what they say for Alabama:

ALABAMA: 12 deaths per 100,000. Total deaths: 581. Total cases: 15,775. After its stay-at-home order expired at the end of April, the state moved to a “Safer at Home” order that urged residents to minimize travel and banned public gatherings unless social distancing can be maintained. The order was amended to continue until July 3. The state has allowed retail stores to operate at 50% of capacity, while restaurants, bars, gyms and some personal care services were allowed to reopen with restrictions. State beaches also were reopened.

Logo 468x120
Back