• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

COVID-19 detected in United States

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
so maybe Sweden's hands off / achieve herd immunity approach wasn't the right path after all??? A short read, this article compares Sweden's approach to COVID-19 with that of other Scandinavian countries.

skelly

Reaction score
so maybe Sweden's hands off / achieve herd immunity approach wasn't the right path after all??? A short read, this article compares Sweden's approach to COVID-19 with that of other Scandinavian countries.

This article offers little info, in my opinion, just like most articles on Covid. Sweden’s economy is going to suffer along with all their neighbors and trade partners even if they didn’t have a single case of Covid. I’m sure it’s to early to draw conclusions on how many lives are lost or saved in the long run...

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I wonder if we’ll see a rise in Covid cases among the protesters and officers?

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

I don't know much about this, other than that it's complex and not always obvious, but in the context of this May 4 Mayo Clinic video, that higher death toll fits right in. What's scary is the Swedish expert quoted in the article as saying they don't yet know if they are achieving herd immunity.

akt1985

Reaction score
Part Due tested positive prior his death, but I have seen nothing that indicates his death was a result of the virus. Do you have a link?

I see it's unknown but it wouldn't surprise me if Covid-19 is the reason why he died.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
I see it's unknown but it wouldn't surprise me if Covid-19 is the reason why he died.

Every report that I have seen ties his death to organ failure that was already occurring prior to the positive test. Why would you think otherwise?

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
WAAY meteorologist Rob Elvington posted a chart on twitter showing new cases over the last 7 days per day are double what they were in early May, with testing numbers about level.

gangstonc

Reaction score
WAAY meteorologist Rob Elvington posted a chart on twitter showing new cases over the last 7 days per day are double what they were in early May, with testing numbers about level.

If Meemaw Ivey could have held off just a week or so longer before opening things back up, I think we would have been in better shape.

I don’t like the trend.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Every report that I have seen ties his death to organ failure that was already occurring prior to the positive test. Why would you think otherwise?
I heard he had a positive stress. It could have been the straw that broke the camels back by putting more strain on his body than it could take.

Evan

Reaction score
Latest 7 and 14 day averages for new cases is way down. Let's hope the trend continues.

Jacob

Reaction score
Latest 7 and 14 day averages for new cases is way down. Let's hope the trend continues.

The quick rise a week or so back and now the equally (or moreso) quick drop in new cases is a bit odd to me.

Evan

Reaction score
The quick rise a week or so back and now the equally (or moreso) quick drop in new cases is a bit odd to me.

Potentially a testing backlog. Not really sure. Latest trends are not good. Numbers going way back up. 850 cases new cases toddy already.

skelly

Reaction score
Going to be a roller coaster ride from here on out. Spikes and dips will flatten out as we go but so much for phased careful reopening that’s behind us for all intents and purposes.

Evan

Reaction score
Another day, another new record: 859 new cases today. Not good. Scared to see what Fall might bring if it's true weather and more time indoors is as perilous as some have indicated.

Evan

Reaction score
Another day, another new record: 888 new cases today.

The data source I'm using sometimes varies a bit from ADPH. Yesterday I posted we had 859 new cases which was a new record. ADPH says the number was 1040.

Anyway you slice it, are numbers are rapidly rising. Testing is up slightly, but nowhere near enough to account for successive days with 800+ cases considering just a few weeks ago our testing volume was similar and our highs were in the mid-300s.

Of note, Alabama is not the only state seeing these kinds of increases. It's going to be a long summer. A long fall. And a long year.

Back