• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

COVID-19 detected in United States

gangstonc

Reaction score
I’m ready for our testing and reporting toncatch up some we can get an acccurate picture of what is actually going on. We need good info in order to make good decisions.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Do we think the fears related to COVID-19 are valid or is it overhyped?

Harvard is going to 100% online courses for the spring semester.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Online classes but allowing students to stay on campus in dorms/use dining halls/congregate as usual on campus is useless. It's all or nothing, or don't bother.
Agreed

gangstonc

Reaction score

I don’t know if it is fear.

We have to take the proper steps so that we don’t need to be afraid

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Hearing rumors that Covid-19 may already be in Huntsville... I hope not

gangstonc

Reaction score
Given the panic that can be caused by these sorts of rumors, I’d recommend caution before spreading this type of info (not saying that it’s false, just asking that caution be exercised).
Definitely just a rumor. Heard it from a firefighter friend.

I firmly believe that if it isn’t here, it will be soon enough anyway

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
NYSE hit a circuit breaker about 8 minutes into trading. 15 minute pause in effect and the Dow froze at -7.2%. Reports from Washington that the Fed is discussing moving in to financially back credit lines for corporations via their banks to ensure that there is flood of bankruptcies. Also word that some in Congress is working through bipartisan actions to provide relief via payroll taxes and changes to SNAP programs to allow for temporary benefits for people that need additional assistance. Sounds like we are heading to some type of national holiday period to keep people at home.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Pretty much all of the NCAA conference tournaments, including the Southeastern Conference, have canceled. The season-opening Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix has canceled as well

Evan

Reaction score

No. If anything our government leadership has downplayed all of this. We have done things in the past 48 hours that we should've done weeks ago.

Containment is not possible at this point. Only mitigation is an option. That requires social distancing by cancelling events, banning large crowds, ans and getting employees to work from home.

I fully expect most school systems to dismiss for a week or two in conjunction with Spring Break. Alabama will probably handle this poorly and not do it even though now is the time for us to be taking robust action.

We cannot make decisions based off of the numbers that have been tested or that are positive because our entire testing system is weeks behind where it should be. Absolutely embarrassing that a country with such quality epidemiology and public health assets has been so thoroughly embarrassed by leadership that wants to hide the actual extent of the virus spread as much as possible.

People will die that didn't need to die because we cared more about money than lives.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
No. If anything our government leadership has downplayed all of this. We have done things in the past 48 hours that we should've done weeks ago.

Containment is not possible at this point. Only mitigation is an option. That requires social distancing by cancelling events, banning large crowds, ans and getting employees to work from home.

I fully expect most school systems to dismiss for a week or two in conjunction with Spring Break. Alabama will probably handle this poorly and not do it even though now is the time for us to be taking robust action.

We cannot make decisions based off of the numbers that have been tested or that are positive because our entire testing system is weeks behind where it should be. Absolutely embarrassing that a country with such quality epidemiology and public health assets has been so thoroughly embarrassed by leadership that wants to hide the actual extent of the virus spread as much as possible.

People will die that didn't need to die because we cared more about money than lives.

What is the difference between this and Swine Flu?

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Hearing rumors that Covid-19 may already be in Huntsville... I hope not
My colleagues at work today said there are no presumptive positive case or confirmed cases currently at Huntsville Hospital. But we know they're coming and have been planning accordingly for when it gets here. I don't think it'll be long. Haven't heard anything out of UAB or Mobile yet.

I'm sure it's already in Alabama just under the radar.

Back