• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX April 29-May 2nd, 2022 Severe Weather Threat

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Andover is gonna be one of the highlights of the entire decade; high base, perfect visibility totally detached from any precip, insane motion, fascinating vortex behavior, caught on video by dozens but somehow no direct fatalities - nearly every day another legendary class video shows up. Phenomenal.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Also holy crap the height on that storage container; not just tossed a little but sustained and carried basically halfway around the funnel at a tremendous height. Amazing

Reaction score
The wildest thing for me is that this tornado is "only" an EF-3. Makes me even more horrified by EF-4 and EF-5.
A decade earlier and EF4 for sure. Vilonia Syndrome doing its job.

EDIT: Actually ignore that, the more I look beyond "home slabbed" the more I realize EF3 was the right call. I'd have gone with 165 personally, but it is what it is I guess.

buckeye05

Reaction score
A decade earlier and EF4 for sure. Vilonia Syndrome doing its job.

EDIT: Actually ignore that, the more I look beyond "home slabbed" the more I realize EF3 was the right call. I'd have gone with 165 personally, but it is what it is I guess.
Yeah I was more onboard with the initial rating of high-end EF3. The thing is, judging by the violent motion in the videos, I feel like it probably had the potential to produce EF4 damage had it hit a well-anchored, poured concrete slab foundation home. I know I’m a record in repeat, but the problem with a lot of basement homes is the subfloor, as the only anchoring is literally some nails driven into a platform of plywood. Obviously, that’s not going to do much.

I’ve said it before, but I’m surprised an engineer somewhere hasn’t designed a long anchor bolt that extends all the way through the subfloor, and actually anchors the walls. Maybe it does exist somewhere? Who knows.

Reaction score
1:38 is probably one of the craziest security cam tornado videos I've seen. Unreal.
IT IS STRANGE AROUND 1:05 THROUGH 1:25 IS STRANGE HOW A TRASH CAN AND TWO BENCHES ARE JUST SITTING THERE WHILE OTHER THINGS AROUND IT ARE GETTING DESTROYED. THE TRASH CAN LOSES THE LID BUT STILL STAYS RIGHT IN PLACE LIKE IT IS NOT BEING TOUCHED. I WONDER IF WE ARE GETTING CLOSER TO UNDERSTANDING HOW MULTIPLE VORTEX TORNADOES REALLY WORK.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Yeah I was more onboard with the initial rating of high-end EF3. The thing is, judging by the violent motion in the videos, I feel like it probably had the potential to produce EF4 damage had it hit a well-anchored, poured concrete slab foundation home. I know I’m a record in repeat, but the problem with a lot of basement homes is the subfloor, as the only anchoring is literally some nails driven into a platform of plywood. Obviously, that’s not going to do much.

I’ve said it before, but I’m surprised an engineer somewhere hasn’t designed a long anchor bolt that extends all the way through the subfloor, and actually anchors the walls. Maybe it does exist somewhere? Who knows.
It's weird that near all houses It encountered was built in this way and some of them was even newly built.
Based on very limited ground level pics, I have a guess that most houses swept away by another Andover tornado 31 years ago had structure similar to this.With a doubt Andover 91 was strongest of all time but rating they can earn nowadays would always be another problem.
IMG_20200814_221021(1).jpg

Last edited:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think such exists in California to meet their stringent seismic code requirements. There's probably a score of metal framing connectors not used elsewhere in the US which greatly strengthen wood frame structures. I'm given to understand that corner and wall connectors (and perhaps more) from there were used to build the "exceptionally well built house" which was swept away in the Hackleburg/Phil Campbell 2011 tornado. Those connectors do have provision for a direct-to-foundation bolting at the bottom. A young couple died in that house; it was her parents place which they had built after a tornado destroyed their old home. The young couple lived nearby in a trailer and had went to the house for shelter; in an ironic and cruel twist of fate their trailer survived the storm.

Phil

pohnpei

Reaction score

Parkersburg IA EF-5 2008

It seems that this footage, especially the second one was the only video existed near the core of an EF5 level tornado to this day.
The security camera was installed north side of the bank facing to the south. The whole bank was just on the north side of the core.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It seems that this footage, especially the second one was the only video existed near the core of an EF5 level tornado to this day.
The security camera was installed north side of the bank facing to the south. The whole bank was just on the north side of the core.
Same bank building gave both videos I think, and no other close video of this tornado is known to exist, which is odd as it was warned in a timely manner and plenty of people lived there.

Phil

Logo 468x120
Back