• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX April 29-May 2nd, 2022 Severe Weather Threat

Reaction score
that one slabbed metal show room near the ymca has been given a 165mph rating so far. the whole tornado is still EF3+ on the dat. so an EF4 rating is still on the table.
That is also the area where trees were mostly to completely stripped of their bark. It is the area where I found part of a tree branch that was completely stripped of its bark.

Reaction score
I hadn't really looked at Monday, since I spent most of yesterday chasing around northern Illinois (saw some photogenic garden-variety thunderstorms but nothing too exciting, although I was about 20 miles south of the EF0 tornado as it occurred in Boone County, I never could catch up to it before the warning expired not that I would have been able to see anything anyway as it was a heavily rain-wrapped comma head structure and not a classic supercell).

Let's just say the 18Z HRRR is rather alarming for the OK/KS border region and points north.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Neat collision between a slow right mover and a speeding left split

KMAF_-_Super-Res_Reflectivity_Tilt_1_6_12_PM.gif

Reaction score
I hadn't really looked at Monday, since I spent most of yesterday chasing around northern Illinois (saw some photogenic garden-variety thunderstorms but nothing too exciting, although I was about 20 miles south of the EF0 tornado as it occurred in Boone County, I never could catch up to it before the warning expired not that I would have been able to see anything anyway as it was a heavily rain-wrapped comma head structure and not a classic supercell).

Let's just say the 18Z HRRR is rather alarming for the OK/KS border region and points north.
The temp is going to be mainly 67F to 69F which is not that high for May. Dews will be pretty high though. I think south of Wichita would be the better area.

Brice Wood

Reaction score
Looks like the SPC extended the enhanced risk to include western parts of Missouri but the hatched 10% tornado risk is still in central and northern Oklahoma and south central Kansas.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Gave it a "sad" not for the post but the shoddy construction. Sheesh, just a few minutes saved in building and people trusting it to be right get harmed. Makes me want to use my hammer to do some 'tornado damage' on the builders head.

Phil

Reaction score
Gave it a "sad" not for the post but the shoddy construction. Sheesh, just a few minutes saved in building and people trusting it to be right get harmed. Makes me want to use my hammer to do some 'tornado damage' on the builders head.

Phil
Also what about the one building that was swept away with anchor bolts. It's shoddy construction. We like to hand out as few EF4 and EF5 ratings as possible to make the politicians happy. Also try to tell me the difference between a 165 mph EF3 and a 170 mph EF4? Sorry I am obsessed with tornado ratings because I have high functioning autism and it means a lot to me.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Also what about the one building that was swept away with anchor bolts. It's shoddy construction. We like to hand out as few EF4 and EF5 ratings as possible to make the politicians happy.
He gave a detailed explanation of the slabbed pet shop's construction flaws just the other day. That's a type of building that is vulnerable to progressive structural failure, meaning once one part of the structure fails and wind gets inside, the whole structure goes. Any kind of building that lacks interior walls is susceptible to that type of failure. Something tells me if this wasn't in your backyard, you wouldn't be pushing back against the high-end EF3 rating so much.

Also, what about "making politicians happy"? Please elaborate. I'd love to here some actual details and evidence of this alleged correlation between low tornado ratings and the agenda of US politicians. I'd love for you to explain to me what the actual motive is, and demonstrate that you aren't just parroting things you have heard from other people without any evidence or understanding what the allegations actually entail. Can you?