• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX April 29-May 2nd, 2022 Severe Weather Threat

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Latest HRRR run fails to fire any storms along the dryline into Oklahoma, which is lucky given the parameter space. However, I have a question - the run depicts large CAPE along a pronounced dryline, with no Capping. Therefore why would storms not develop? Is it lack of moisture quality (compared to the open warm sector) right next to the dryline or something else - anyone have any thoughts?.

Attachments

• sfctd_b.us_c.png
    sfctd_b.us_c.png
    275.4 KB · Views: 0
  • mlcin.us_c.png
    mlcin.us_c.png
    326.4 KB · Views: 0

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Latest HRRR run fails to fire any storms along the dryline into Oklahoma, which is lucky given the parameter space. However, I have a question - the run depicts large CAPE along a pronounced dryline, with no Capping. Therefore why would storms not develop? Is it lack of moisture quality (compared to the open warm sector) right next to the dryline or something else - anyone have any thoughts?.
Probably that mixing along the dryline leading to lower moisture quality.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Well I now really struggle to see how Central Oklahoma wouldn't fire storms on the latest HRRR run, despite it only showing a few showers. Area of 70F moisture right next to the dryline as well, including a dryline bulge-ish feature which I could imagine being a focus for storm initiation. I wonder what high-res guidance and observations will show tomorrow but potential for a very high ceiling event I think through much/most of Oklahoma into Kansas. The biggest limiting factor apart from any initiation would probably be any discrete storms becoming linear associated with cold front/outflow which is modelled later on.
1651436366477.png

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The northern section of the enhanced risk should get a moderate 15% tornado upgrade. Could have done it in the new day 2, but the new forecaster withheld from doing it.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Some of @Shakespeare 2016's damage photos (note he texted these to me so resolution isn't the best, he has more photos so hope to get better copies of those)
View attachment 13721
View attachment 13722
View attachment 13723
View attachment 13724
That debarked tree branch will make for an awesome tornadic “souvenir”! He should hang on to that, as it will make for a great memento and decoration with an interesting story behind it.

After the Dayton EF4, I actually found a partially debarked, insulation-caked tree branch in my friend’s yard, one suburb over from where the tornado lifted (debris fallout most likely). I really regret not keeping it now!

Reaction score
That debarked tree branch will make for an awesome tornadic “souvenir”! He should hang on to that, as it will make for a great memento and decoration with an interesting story behind it.

After the Dayton EF4, I actually found a partially debarked, insulation-caked tree branch in my friend’s yard, one suburb over from where the tornado lifted (debris fallout most likely). I really regret not keeping it now!
I hope this tornado gets upgraded to EF4. Go to dat and there was a rather large anchor bolted home with toenails that was almost entirely swept away. Also there is some rather intense context near the house. Yes, I will keep that completely debarked branch as a souvenir.

Reaction score

It can seems so morbid at times that I am intrigued by looking at tornado damage. I saw the damage and I was just like wow.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I hope this tornado gets upgraded to EF4. Go to dat and there was a rather large anchor bolted home with toenails that was almost entirely swept away. Also there is some rather intense context near the house. Yes, I will keep that completely debarked branch as a souvenir.
Is it on the DAT for sure, and if so where at? All the swept away homes I have seen so far appear to have separated from their subfloors, which is EF3. Did they maybe remove the damage point from the DAT? Not doubting you though, especially if you saw it in person. If one of the homes did indeed have its subfloor ripped off, I'd have to agree with you.

Edit: Ok seeing some bolts now, but only in the garage portion of the foundation. If you're looking for an EF4 rating, you might not get one if only the garage walls were thoroughly bolted down. This is typical of modern basement foundation homes unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reaction score
if homes with multiple walls standing are receiving 165mph EF3 ratings. that either means the homes are very well built....or the nws is being lazy lol.