• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX April 19-20, 2020 Severe Weather Threat

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hmm...must be a data issue/outage with TAE as both KEOX and KTLH went out at the exact same time. That's very unfortunate. :(

You may be right. I just noticed the latest warnings for TAE's CWA were issued by NWS Houston.

Evan

Reaction score
You may be right. I just noticed the latest warnings for TAE's CWA were issued by NWS Houston.

Literally just noticed this as well. I had to click back into the warning to double check because I was thinking "Houston County" in Alabama, but it was for a TOR in Georgia and was issued by the Houston/Galveston NWS.

Really odd as you'd think there are multiple data and/or power redundancies. To lose not just KEOX/KTLH, but the entire TAE office, is a really unfortunate thing.

Evan

Reaction score
Level III radar data for KEOX and KTLH are available. It's just Level II that is out. And, also, something with TAE as well.

Evan

Reaction score
Level III radar data for KEOX and KTLH are available. It's just Level II that is out. And, also, something with TAE as well.

Although Level III doesn't show an outage I can't get a working feed for it either, so...

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
That is very strange. You would expect emergency generators and whatnot for such a crucial element of public safety. I wonder why Houston/Galveston is the backup for TAE. I guess coastal proximity is similar and spaced out enough that it likely wouldn't interfere with another closer offices CWA observations.

Evan

Reaction score
That is very strange. You would expect emergency generators and whatnot for such a crucial element of public safety. I wonder why Houston/Galveston is the backup for TAE. I guess coastal proximity is similar and spaced out enough that it likely wouldn't interfere with another closer offices CWA observations.

Update from the horse's mouth below. Inconvenient for the public, enthusiasts, and the media, but sounds like warnings and forecasts weren't impacted. Thank goodness.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Update from the horse's mouth below. Inconvenient for the public, enthusiasts, and the media, but sounds like warnings and forecasts weren't impacted. Thank goodness.

It's good to hear the radars are still transmitting to NWS. I guess the comm issue is effecting the offices ability to issue warnings though as well?

As a side note, when I toured NWS HUN I was surprised to see gigantic 1990s looking PCs running strange linux/DOS-style software that they used to issue CWA warnings. Even though they had big fancy LCD monitors for radar, satellite and model data, some components are best left untouched when they've remained so reliable for many years.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I thought this was very interesting reflectivity .. Large swaths of precipitation moving WSW to ENE while smaller clusters seem unphased, dragging nearly N to S.

5594c057-637f-4af7-9ce7-90c69a9a16c7.gif

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Have a waterspout
Screenshot_20200420-112200.png

Jacob

Reaction score
Looks like a small TDS on a couple frames north of Mims, FL. Doesn't look like there's much there for it to hit fortunately.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Bumped the thread out a day.

Back