• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX April 11th-13th, 2020 Severe Weather Threat

vanni9283

Reaction score
I don't really agree. Yeah, the scale is too conservative these days, and this one straddles the line a bit, but the contextual support wasn't quite there. That kind of tree damage is pretty low-end for being next to what looks like EF5 structural damage. If you want a reminder of what trees look like after an EF5, have a look at Moore or Hackleburg/Phil Campbell. No comparison. JAN also noted no grass scouring on the property, with the path only being visible in plowed dirt fields. Not what you'd expect with an EF5. Also the house remnants, while there isn't much left, are suspiciously intact and unsplintered.

With that said, this one probably was capable of producing clear cut EF5 damage. The tree damage along Willie Fortenberry Road to the northeast of Bassfield was about as intense as you can get. I think that is where the tornado likely reached its peak intensity, and if there was a well-built house in the path in that area, we would likely be looking at an EF5 rating.

In any case, the JAN survey team has regained my trust this year. They have been very meticulous and intuitive, contacted damage experts, and really took their time with this one. I trust their word.

This is why I think the estimated wind speeds on the current EF-scale need to be higher than what they currently are.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Guess what? Another violent tornado for 2020. The high end 165 EF3 in Estill, SC from early 4/13 got bumped to 175.

Last edited:

andyhb

Reaction score

Insanity.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Potential rating is based on the house in the tweet above in the damage survey viewer. Given the large size of the remaining debris and only barely damaged trees I guess I'm surprised they were bold enough to consider bumping it further

Apparently they have not made a final decision and will announce one way or the other tomorrow, but it seems odd to bump it in the toolkit before deciding on it since that's a publicly accessible tool.

Reaction score
Potential rating is based on the house in the tweet above in the damage survey viewer. Given the large size of the remaining debris and only barely damaged trees I guess I'm surprised they were bold enough to consider bumping it further

Apparently they have not made a final decision and will announce one way or the other tomorrow, but it seems odd to bump it in the toolkit before deciding on it since that's a publicly accessible tool.

It was also listed as an FR12 with winds of 172 mph which also seems kind of odd to me. Complete destruction of well-built/engineered home. Slab swept clean.

buckeye05

Reaction score

I have no issue with them bumping it up honestly. If a well-built house was flattened, and there are no glaring contextual discrepancies, why not go EF4? It's just following the scale as intended. The trend of less unreasonable low-balling of ratings seems to be continuing this year. Encouraging stuff!

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It certainly looks like it deserves it, just intrigued to see that WFOs are actually taking that route this year. Maybe most will follow suit

Reaction score
I have no issue with them bumping it up honestly. If a well-built house was flattened, and there are no glaring contextual discrepancies, why not go EF4? It's just following the scale as intended. The trend of less unreasonable low-balling of ratings seems to be continuing this year. Encouraging stuff!
NWS Charleston did decide to go with an EF4 rating. I would say the picture of the flattened house is low-end EF4 damage.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Ironically that 1995 rating is highly questionable (was probably an F2 according to Grazulis) so that may be the first truly violent tornado there since 5/5/89.

20200424_164131~2.jpg

Last edited:

andyhb

Reaction score
In terms of contextual damage, I’ve seen a number of pics from that SC tornado’s aftermath and they were definitely pretty impressive. Tree damage, etc.

Brice Wood

Reaction score
I just wanna take a look back at this outbreak, it’s been over a year since its occurred and I can’t get April 12, 2020 out of my head

Logo 468x120
Back