• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX April 11-14th, 2022 Severe Weather Threat

Tennie

Reaction score
What am I missing there why those have TOR instead of PDS TOR as the hazard type?

The "Possible Hazard Type" window uses a set of criteria to identify, well, possible hazards. Here's a pic from the official paper about SHARPpy:

full-bams-d-15-00309.1-fsb2.jpg

Note that, if certain parameters don't meet/exceed all listed criteria for a given hazard type, it'll move on to determine if they meet the next type on the list.

bwalk

Reaction score
The two soundings you linked have some of the craziest hodos I’ve seen. Man. I am hoping things don’t pan out as modeled…

I agree. I almost want to frame that one hodo you posted. I do notice the critical angle is 70 vs. the more desired 90-degrees neighborhood. But the shape of this hodo & accompanying wind profiles it represents is classic.

1649799895603.png

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
In Spencer, IA in the northwest part of the state the temperature is 61 degrees and in the southwest part of the state in Logan, IA the temperature is 91 degrees.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Bleh, looks like we are going to have poor radar coverage for these storms.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Speaking of PDS watches and warnings, the GFS seems to agree with the HRRR about the evolution of a single monster supercell in central IA and this is what its forecasted sounding has to say...
4122022-GFS.png

Back