• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Alabama Governor's Race 2018

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Need to get your history correct. People that listened to the Nixon Kennedy debate on radio thought Nixon won decisively. Those that watched them on TV went overwhelmingly for Kennedy because of aesthetics. Nixon was sweating profusely and wiped his brow during the entire debate. Kennedy looked better and obviously was the more handsome of the two.

The interpretation is accurate as you pointed it out in your post. I highly doubt anyone would listen to a debate on the radio these days. However, on television or streamed who would come off as the younger more vibrant candidate? At this stage in the election it’s a moot point because she is way ahead in the polls. She may very well get 65 percent of the vote.

Matt

Reaction score
Ivey, her office, and her campaign are blatantly lying about her Colorado illness. It is beyond disqualifying, but it won't matter in Alabama if you have an R next to your name. Roy Moore, who had inappropriate relationships with young girls including attempted sexual activity, almost won. Blatantly lying about your health won't matter to Republicans in Alabama.

How about Hillary's health before and during the 2016 election? It was visible for all to see she was not well. Coughing fits, passing out and dragged into the Scooby van and other examples. . Walt did not seem to concerned about that as he voted for her.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
How about Hillary's health before and during the 2016 election? It was visible for all to see she was not well. Coughing fits, passing out and dragged into the Scooby van and other examples. . Walt did not seem to concerned about that as he voted for her.
Right, Hillary is running for office in Alabama. So relevant!

gangstonc

Reaction score

Evan

Reaction score
I hate to sound crass, but based on what we (think we) know about Ivey's health, the race for Lt. Governor may be the most important race this November.

Kay Ivey and her handlers are really reminiscent of Weekend at Bernie's to me. She had her canned and rehearsed lines and outdid of that she is a completely empty shell.

It is absurd, that as is usual, we ended up with one horrible choice and one mediocre choice for Governor. I think Maddox is actually somewhat decent but today's Democratic Party is so left-wing that he will be pushed to the left if he ever wants to be anything other than AL Governor. As it stands he has had to run further to the left on the issues compared to Sparks or Griffith because you can't raise money in today's Democratic Party unless you are a Progressive or at least act like you are one. You also can't get support of a large chunk of the base or attract motivated staff and volunteers unless you do that.

I tend to think Maddox would actually govern pretty centrally because of the makeup of the Alabama Legislature. He would be forced to in many ways. But, just like with the Presidency, the new game is to issue Executive Orders and try to rule by fiat. I don't trust that Maddox wouldn't be susceptible to the same game if elected. Ivey has certainly embraced the Executive Order.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter because Ivey is probably a good 30-40 points more popular than Roy Moore, and for a Democrat to win statewide in Alabama they need to have an opponent underwater or near underwater in favorability unless they have major name recognition. I actually think the AG's race will be closer than people expect for that very reason. I think Joseph Siegelman will benefit from his name recognition, charisma, and connections that are attached to the Siegelman name. Marshall isn't the most well-liked person, but Siegelman will have to row against the recent GOP surge. Pre-Kavanaugh I wouldn't have been surprised to see him upset Marshall. I think it is still possible, and it won't shock me, but he's got less of a chance than he did. But, he's actually got a chance unless Walt Maddox.

Matt

Reaction score
Right, Hillary is running for office in Alabama. So relevant!

If the health of a candidate is important, it should not matter if the candidate is for Alabama governor or president of The United States. Maddox is a hypocrite on this issue but is so far down desperation has set in.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My district for the AL Senate will probably be the most contested Senate race if not one of the most contested races in the entire state. Incumbent Larry Stutts barely beat out Roger Bedford during the last election. Now long time good ole boy democtat Johnny Mack Morrow is running against Stutts. Stutts won the last election by fewer than 500 votes I think. Morrow has poured in over $250,000 of his money into his own campaign. I'm hoping Siegelman can beat out Marshall in an upset. I'd like to see what he can do as AG. Its hard to find any polling data. I'll probably be voting for Ainsworth for Lt. Governor. As someone stated earlier, if Ivey does have health issues that Lt. Governors race could mean a lot a couple years down the road,

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I truly don't know how he has ran unopposed for so long. It was only in his re-election for a 4th term, he's had "opposition." A former felon.

He has been a dismal mayor.
Hmm that's a different take on what I've heard... I've got two friends in T-Town who say he's been a great mayor moving the city forward during his tenures. They both primarily vote Repub but both of them supported Maddox in this race.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I was going to abstain in this race but our Weekend at Ivey's governor is just too much for me so I voted for Maddux.

- She's a figure head
- She wouldn't debate her opponent
- She's a liar (I only had 3 hours to prepare to be Governor - BS!)

Maddux was a terrible candidate. Not in the least bit inspiring. I voted against Ivey more than I voted for Maddux.

I personally received my first ever vote for a political office as I wrote myself in for state Senate District 9. The unopposed Republican, Clay Scofield, played a huge role in killing the Daily Fantasy Sports bill, so no chance I was voting for him.

Kory

Reaction score
Hmm that's a different take on what I've heard... I've got two friends in T-Town who say he's been a great mayor moving the city forward during his tenures. They both primarily vote Repub but both of them supported Maddox in this race.
I guess it depends where you live. North of the river, yeah I can agree with that. South of the river, not so much. We've been plagued far too long with ailing infrastructure made exponentially worse by Walt's policies. People who live along Cribb's Mill Creek can attest to being flooded multiple times this summer as well as multiple additional times since 2010 (when the development boom hit Tuscaloosa). These houses built in the 1920s and 1930s had only flooded once prior...if that. I lost my car this summer due to flooding, which the likes has not been seen before.

Walt slashed the "impact taxes" to inflate the development of Tuscaloosa and this has shown with the crumbling infrastructure. We have sewerage overflows into the Black Warrior constantly with every drizzle. Developers are not paying their fair share into improving the infrastructure. Sites where single-family homes were, now have large student apartment complex and commercial properties. Until 2016, they have not had to pay a single penny into improving the infrastructure to them. It's no wonder we flood with every single rainfall and have sewerage back ups.

But hey! He supports the lottery! I do too, but not at the cost of my livelihood.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I was going to abstain in this race but our Weekend at Ivey's governor is just too much for me so I voted for Maddux.

- She's a figure head
- She wouldn't debate her opponent
- She's a liar (I only had 3 hours to prepare to be Governor - BS!)

Maddux was a terrible candidate. Not in the least bit inspiring. I voted against Ivey more than I voted for Maddux.

I personally received my first ever vote for a political office as I wrote myself in for state Senate District 9. The unopposed Republican, Clay Scofield, played a huge role in killing the Daily Fantasy Sports bill, so no chance I was voting for him.

I checked Ainsworth’s vote in the house in 2017 and he voted in favor of DFS so hopefully he still supports it.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I checked Ainsworth’s vote in the house in 2017 and he voted in favor of DFS so hopefully he still supports it.

But does the Lt. Gov. sponsor legislation? Paul Sanford, the Huntsville Senator and DFS player that sponsored the bill retired and I have no idea if his replacement is pro-, anti- or even cares about DFS.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
But does the Lt. Gov. sponsor legislation? Paul Sanford, the Huntsville Senator and DFS player that sponsored the bill retired and I have no idea if his replacement is pro-, anti- or even cares about DFS.

I don’t think the LT Governor sponsors legislation but doesn’t he reside over the Senate? Maybe he can sway a few vote. If Senator Whatley kept his seat then I’m sure he will try to bring it back up. I hate Sanford didn’t run again. Was really hoping he and Whatley could get it done next session.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Gov Kay Ivey where are you? A month ago you issued a State of Emergency for a winter storm that never happened but now people and businesses in your state are suffering from an all time catastrophic record flood and you are no where to be found

Back