• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Alabama Governor's Race 2018

Evan

Reaction score
That's odd because if you follow Battle on Twitter it seems he was doing exactly that, running a statewide campaign. He was the first candidate to visit every county in the state and constantly had appearances all over the state in recent months. I think his statewide TV ads started several weeks ago as well.

I'll sit at home before I vote for Ivey. I can't in good conscience vote for someone who is an unelected incumbent who refuses to participate in public debates and town halls. It is very telling and makes me think her health and mind aren't fit to lead the state.

He didn't build out the type of field organization and make the county level contacts he needed to make. I don't know if it is his campaign manager or what, but I've read each of his campaign finance filings as they were posted. He was at a severe fundraising disadvantage, but he still wasted precious funds on TV spots that were poorly executed and would have very little impact. He suffered from a lack of name recognition outside of Northern AL and the major cities.

I'm not saying he sat on his money maker. It was always going to be tremendously difficult vs. the 800lb gorilla incumbent that dodges you in debates and sucks the oxygen out by making economic announcements to serve as free media exposure. Sadly, the Alabama media are fairly stupid and let her get away with it. The reported her economic announcements as straight news. The media types that took Ivey on are the type GOP voters don't trust and don't care about.

Battle needed to run a very aggressive insurgent campaign and put Ivey on the defensive. He's just not that type of candidate. It's not his style.

Trust me, no way in hell I'll vote for Ivey. I'm just as frustrated and I liked Battle well enough. If Ivey wasn't the incumbent Governor he'd have cleaned her clock. But, alas, that wasn't the race.

Whats amazing is a number of incumbent GOP judges lost. So this wasn't your typical case of voters just opting for the incumbent out of ignorance. Clearly they bought the same argument that Kory did. That's the fault of all of Ivey's opponents. They didn't want to get their hands dirty by aggressively taking on a grandmother, but that was the only way to win.

It didn't help that Alabama voters gonna Alabama.

Evan

Reaction score
In other news, a dead man has 1% of the vote.

That is unbelievable and really needs to be a much bigger story than it is. Thats just embarassing because if somehow Battle closes the gap as the rest of the North AL votes come in, the votes that went to the dead guy could be a huge tipping point.

It wouldn't have mattered because it would have gone to a runoff if Ivey was below 50%. Having a dead guy on the ballot just took more votes from Ivey to hold her below 50%.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I just can't see how people can logically chose Ivey over Battle. What Evan said about her being a figurehead is telling and believable. I'm looking at possibly voting for a Dem for gov for the first time in 30 yrs

Evan

Reaction score
Oden/Bronner getting uncomfortably close. Oden should squeak it out depending upon what areas are left to report. Haven't looked since 45% in.

I'll say 90% chance Oden holds on, but I'm going blind as I'm going to bed and don't have time to look at county results again.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oden/Bronner getting uncomfortably close. Oden should squeak it out depending upon what areas are left to report. Haven't looked since 45% in.

I'll say 90% chance Oden holds on, but I'm going blind as I'm going to bed and don't have time to look at county results again.

If Bonner pulls it out, expect a court battle if this holds true. Of course, we're banking on Republicans having a spine so who knows.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations

Jacob

Reaction score
I haven't looked at Maddox that closely yet (I am admittedly pretty uninformed on local/state politics for the most part), but unless he's full-on lefty Dem, I have a hard time seeing myself choosing Ivey over him this fall.

Kory

Reaction score
I haven't looked at Maddox that closely yet (I am admittedly pretty uninformed on local/state politics for the most part), but unless he's full-on lefty Dem, I have a hard time seeing myself choosing Ivey over him this fall.
He's pretty moderate and he actually never declared a political party in his first three terms as mayor (I believe). He has expressed pro-life positions, but is your typical "let's raise taxes" instead of "let's cut the waste" democrat. And let me tell you, there is PLENTY of waste. My problem with Walt is that he sort of left the city on autopilot when he began his campaign. He cut his "good ole boy" friends who own these construction companies breaks (they didn't have to pay infrastructure impact taxes) which has now left city infrastructure in shambles. We constantly flood, have power outages, and traffic because the city has permitted massive apartment complexes and shopping districts go up without logical city planning and upgrades (from impact taxes) to infrastructure. In turn, these massive developments have pushed affordable housing out to the fringes of the city. We have a police department that resembles the Keystone Cops and it is not due to lack of funding. A change in leadership was needed ages ago and we have not received that. Tuscaloosa's growth and recovery post-tornado can be more attributed to UA's explosive student population growth (we've more than doubled enrollment in the last decade) than Walt's policies.

Kory

Reaction score
I just can't see how people can logically chose Ivey over Battle. What Evan said about her being a figurehead is telling and believable. I'm looking at possibly voting for a Dem for gov for the first time in 30 yrs
Tommy Battle and Sheriff Blake Dorning have not been very friendly to those who believe in the right to concealed carry. There have been multiple occasions they have been apart of restricting the right to conceal carry and openly opposed constitutional carry. That is a deal breaker for me.

Evan

Reaction score

Same. I'm sick of the stereotypical geriatric type running the state simply because they have NOTHING else to do. They don't have the energy to take on Montgomery, and they owe too many people favors anyway.

I seriously don't think people understand how freaking dirty and corrupt Montgomery is and how insidious it all is. I'm not giving the usual platitudes here -- this is from firsthand, personal experience.

You CANNOT hang around as in Montgomery as long as Ivey and not be bought. Ivey is bought and paid for by special interests among others. If what I'm saying is untrue, Governor, sue me. I'm literally begging. I'm salivating just thinking of the discovery.

Kory: Ivey is bought as much as any Louisiana politician you can try to think of.

I felt literal nausea last night knowing for sure she was going to win after about 15% was in. I'm not kidding. My stomach made me feel queasy.

Could Alabama JUST ONCE elect someone who isn't on Social Security or is a bought money maker crook?

Kory

Reaction score
Then, this is a rather dubious and head scratching comment on Walt’s campaign page in response to an NRA questionnaire.

I will never favor taking any existing constitutional right away from any American unless we, as a people, come to the conclusion that restraint of some rights helps ensure the pursuit of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness by all.

https://waltmaddox.com/walt-maddoxs-response-to-nra-questionnaire/

Wait, what? The majority restricting rights of the minority is antithetical to American values. It’s why we had the WHOLE civil rights movement.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Then, this is a rather dubious and head scratching comment on Walt’s campaign page in response to an NRA questionnaire.

Wait, what? The majority restricting rights of the minority is antithetical to American values. It’s why we had the WHOLE civil rights movement.

I was a little worried I may have to consider Walt Maddox after Ivey won the nomination.

I don't have to worry about that anymore after seeing that quote.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
And for those of y'all who supported Battle: I would be absolutely SHOCKED if he didn't run again in 4 years. It's known he wants to advance his political career to either Montgomery or Washington, so I would fully expect him to challenge for govenor again or perhaps a senate seat in the next few years.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
And for those of y'all who supported Battle: I would be absolutely SHOCKED if he didn't run again in 4 years. It's known he wants to advance his political career to either Montgomery or Washington, so I would fully expect him to challenge for govenor again or perhaps a senate seat in the next few years.

I was thinking that last night. I am almost certain battle will run again assuming no Republican incumbent.

Evan

Reaction score

He specifically says "ensure the pursuit of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness by all."

"All" is the keyword there. Civil Rights wouldn't be a proper analogy as a specific group of individuals were being discriminated against. What's quoted seems to be a formulation of the actual process for amending the Constitution. Unfortunately, he's right about that. If the required number of people decide they want to repeal the 2nd Amendment they can do so. That's Constitutional whether we like it or not.

From what the link says, it indicates he believes that all Constitutional rights should be protected and that they are all equally important (or at least this suggestion is implicitly made). That's the best you are going to get from a candidate trying to thread the needle between potential liberal campaign supporters and they need to appeal to a broader base. No candidate is going to tell you what they actually believe. They just don't do it.

I can also tell you with 99.9% certainty that Maddox didn't personally write that answer, and he may not have even done anything more than speed read a draft of it. Staff always handles these surveys. You get a bucketful. AARP, NRA, NAACP, WWF, NFIB, etc. The surveys often contain unanswerable questions or traps to give the interest group something to complain about. It's easy to tell this is Maddox's first statewide campaign. Don't allow your staff to answer the surveys, Walt. It won't get you any votes. Decline to answer surveys. Say that you prefer to speak face to face to voters, and that due to the overwhelming amount of surveys you received it isn't possible to reply to all of them. Out of fairness, you are going to decline to respond to any more surveys in the future as you don't want to exclude any organization no matter their size or importance.

I've personally answered these surveys myself on a gubernatorial campaign. We only answered the ones we thought would endorse us. I think that's not the best policy, but some groups won't endorse unless you fill out their freaking 8 page survey. It is a poor use of campaign time and a major PITA.

No matter HOW you answer the questions your opponent or an interest group will use it to attack you.

Here's a strategy for you, Kory. Email Ivey's campaign and ask for their position on the NFA and the Hughes amendment. Don't tell them what you believe. Simply ask: As it pertains to the 2nd Amendment, what is Governor Ivey's position on the NFA and the Hughes amendment. They'll either ignore you, handle you (oh, that's a federal issue and we are focused on state level issues we can affect), or make you cry (by giving an incompetent word salad answer or saying Ivey supports the NFA/Hughes).

The Alabama legislature isn't going to send anti-gun legislation to the Governor's desk. So, Maddox's position on guns is irrelevant. Oh, you might say, what about pro-gun legislation. He wouldn't sign that! After years and years of the GOP having the courts, the legislature, and the Governor's mansion - - we've made only incremental progress on guns. If you believe that the legislature and Ivey, are going to suddenly pass and sign gun legislation that we want - - then you've been snookered by them. There will even be talk of the wonderful bill they will pass and Ivey will sign if we just re-elect them this one time. If that's not in the form of an ironclad written promise (or recorded verbal promise) with a guarantee to pass it using the BIR process then they're scamming you.

I hate to be so negative and jaded, but I know how this stuff works. I used to do it myself and lived in Montgomery.

Ivey has 4.2 million sitting around. Now that she's avoided a runoff, she's about to dump a significant portion of it on Maddox's head. If you believe what they're going to say that's your right. Just understand that they don't plan to tell the truth, they are going to play extremely dirty, and hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake. The Big Mules have a major investment in Ivey, and they are going to protect that. Actually, even more so than usual because their people are the staffers and aides surrounding Ivey and running the State Government. This is a very unique opportunity for them, so if a transvestite hooker needs to accuse Walt Maddox of having an affair then they'll get one to do it.

Evan

Reaction score
I was a little worried I may have to consider Walt Maddox after Ivey won the nomination.

I don't have to worry about that anymore after seeing that quote.

How can Walt Maddox do anything as it pertains to the 2nd Amendment? You all are falling for an old political trick. I can't make you believe me. You'll just have to decide if you want to be an easy mark or not.

The AL legislature dropped a constitutional carry bill this year after Parkland. Last year in died in the House after the Senate passed it because the AL Sheriff's Association helped to kill it. They keep this stuff hanging around for a reason. They can dust it off come the election and tell you their opponent will never let you have it - - even though they haven't let you have it either.

Here's a famous Ivey quote that shows how useless she is:

"I don't comment on potential legislation until after it's passed and then we get to examine it and see the full ramifications," Ivey said.

Oh, that makes sense. Don't go out of your way to lead the party or propose legislation, Governor. Just wait until the Big Mules have passed what they want and then they'll tell you what to say. It's not like the bills aren't posted online for weeks or months.

Why in God's name would the Governor not comment on potential legislation when the Governor of every other state does and always has? This is unique to Ivey and there's a clear reason for it.

Kory

Reaction score
I’ll take you up on that offer Evan. I’m going to email her campaign regarding that and I’ll post a screenshot of the response if/when I get it.

Evan

Reaction score
I was thinking that last night. I am almost certain battle will run again assuming no Republican incumbent.

We need someone who has experience in dealing with large businesses, experience with the large cities in Alabama like Huntsville, Birmingham, and Mobile, and someone that isn't on Social Security or corrupt. I realize this is a big ask, Alabama, but can we stop electing people from small South Alabama counties or those that grew up in a town of less than 5,000 people? Other than Siegelman (Mobile), Lurleen Wallace (Tuscaloosa wasn't that big back then), and a guy from back in the 30s or 40s (born in Oakland, CA oddly enough) we end up with people from Wilcox County, Barbour County, Coffee County, etc.

I would argue to split Alabama in half, but Mobile is too important. Our state will never catch up if we keep electing people that grew up in a one horse town and see nothing wrong with Alabama staying outdated and controlled by special interests.

I do hope Battle runs again. He has the kind of experience we need. But he's going to have to be more aggressive. Politics isn't for the faint of heart. He should've had a dark money PAC blasting out Patricia Todd's comments on Ivey.

Evan

Reaction score
I’ll take you up on that offer Evan. I’m going to email her campaign regarding that and I’ll post a screenshot of the response if/when I get it.

Sounds great. I think they'll just handle you or not respond, but I'd love to be surprised. Thanks, Kory. We need to hold all these people's feet to the fire.

I'll email Maddox and ask him what gun control measures he would support. Let's see if I get a straight answer (doubtful).

Back