• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Alabama Governor's Race 2018

Kory

Reaction score
He's not widely popular outside of Huntsville it seems. I personally think it'll be Ivey vs Maddox for the big governor's mansion.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Even if Battle wasn't running I still would not vote for Ivey. She's a career politician looking for another job sucking off the taxpayers' teet. She holds an office she wasn't elected for yet refuses to debate her opponents. We have no idea of her vision for this state other than some website bullet points. Plus, I need to know if she's mentally sharp enough to present her platform in a debate setting.

The only concern tomorrow is keeping Ivey under 50% to get her and Battle to a runoff. I think Dawson will attract enough of the Rick and Bubba crowd to keep anyone of getting over half the votes.

If I had to guess, I'd say tomorrow night ends with Ivey around 40%(based mostly on name recognition), Battle 34%, Dawson 20%, Hightower 6%. Dawson's post-primary endorsement will go a long way towards deciding the winner in the runoff.

Can't wait to see how wrong that prediction will be!

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Turnout wasn't exactly stellar at my polling place when I arrived this morning. Hoping its better for the after work crowd that should be there now.

Kory

Reaction score
Turnout wasn't exactly stellar at my polling place when I arrived this morning. Hoping its better for the after work crowd that should be there now.
Same in Tuscaloosa. Was expecting people to be out in droves for Maddox, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Not to mention, the republican ballot felt like I was retaking the ACT all over again. We must’ve had like 30 people up for election. I left some blank because I honestly didn’t want to cast a vote for people I had no clue about.

Opted for Kay Ivey at the last minute after debating between her and Scott Dawson.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Same in Tuscaloosa. Was expecting people to be out in droves for Maddox, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Not to mention, the republican ballot felt like I was retaking the ACT all over again. We must’ve had like 30 people up for election. I left some blank because I honestly didn’t want to cast a vote for people I had no clue about.

Opted for Kay Ivey at the last minute after debating between her and Scott Dawson.
I was hoping people would vote for anyone other than Ivey - not because I'm necessarily opposed to her, but I want to force a runoff and hopefully have her actually campaign and debate.

Kory

Reaction score
I was hoping people would vote for anyone other than Ivey - not because I'm necessarily opposed to her, but I want to force a runoff and hopefully have her actually campaign and debate.
I find most political debates are lots of fluff and boilerplate responses, because they get, maybe, 2-3 minutes to talk about detailed policy. I could do without a 2 hour affair of talking points.

Ivey showed she can continue this economic growth minus the scandals of Bentley and that’s why I opted for her.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations

I think Battle may be able to force a runoff - North AL is quickly becoming the 2nd largest population center in the state behind the Birmingham Metro and he's an overwhelming favorite here, so that may be enough to keep Ivey below 50%

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
They were expecting a turnout of between 25-30 percent today. It may not end up being that high but we'll have to wait and see. Depending on which ballot you got, anyone else notice Don Siegelman's son Joeseph was running for AG? Polls close in about 10 minutes.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
They were expecting a turnout of between 25-30 percent today. It may not end up being that high but we'll have to wait and see. Depending on which ballot you got, anyone else notice Don Siegelman's son Joeseph was running for AG? Polls close in about 10 minutes.

That's just abysmal for a gubernatorial election, primary or not.

AL has some serious voter turnout issues that seem worse than most other states, and I'm not particularly sure why.

Kory

Reaction score
That's just abysmal for a gubernatorial election, primary or not.

AL has some serious voter turnout issues that seem worse than most other states, and I'm not particularly sure why.
It's not just Alabama, it is countrywide. The only time you get high turnout is when it is between two atrocious candidates. See Doug Jones vs Roy Moore just this past year. Or Edwin Edwards vs David Duke in the infamous 1991 Louisiana gubernatorial election. It literally takes the two worst candidates imaginable to get high turn out.

Evan

Reaction score

Joseph Siegelman will win based off of all the background stuff I'm aware of.

Marshall and King in AG runoff. Twinkle will be in a runoff.

Ivey will escape without having had to run a campaign. She will also refuse the debates and refuse to engage with Maddox at all in the general. Yeah, Maddox will make it through without a runoff.

Battle never ran a statewide campaign. No idea what the he was wrong with him.

Only way Maddox can beat Ivey is if he puts his youth vs her age and does hundreds of events, totally outworks her, and her health issues become a theme. Even then, we'll need to see something like Trump's tariffs hurting the Alabama economy, with the automakers furious at Trump. Probably not enough time for all that to happen, so Ivey gets another 4 more years unless she strokes out.

By the way, Kay Ivey doesn't run the state. Her aides do. It's an open secret.

Evan

Reaction score
I find most political debates are lots of fluff and boilerplate responses, because they get, maybe, 2-3 minutes to talk about detailed policy. I could do without a 2 hour affair of talking points.

Ivey showed she can continue this economic growth minus the scandals of Bentley and that’s why I opted for her.

She's not running the state. Her handlers and aides are. That's not democracy. We never elected them. Hell, we never elected her to be Governor, either. But, I'll be damned if people aren't too apathetic and busy to pay attention.

Ivey has zero to do with Alabama's economy. If anything, she's a net drag on the state landing more projects and jobs vs how a Battle or Maddox would do. Ivey literally does nothing. She a figurehead that is handled by special interests and her unelected staff. It is an open secret if you know people in state politics.

It is a wretched situation for our state. I'm disappointed, Kory. You're normally a lot more thoughtful than this. Ivey is a puppet on a string.

Evan

Reaction score
Oh, Don Siegelman still knows what he is doing. :p

Gonna be extremely tough to pull off defeat vs GOP, but high probability Marshall is wounded (stench of corruption also covers him) and likely loses the runoff, and King would be reconsidered a re-read. It's possible Marshall can survive, but he'll be wounded in the general.

I know this: the AG race is going to be dirty. Might just become the most explosive race in the state.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Battle never ran a statewide campaign. No idea what the he was wrong with him.

That's odd because if you follow Battle on Twitter it seems he was doing exactly that, running a statewide campaign. He was the first candidate to visit every county in the state and constantly had appearances all over the state in recent months. I think his statewide TV ads started several weeks ago as well.

I'll sit at home before I vote for Ivey. I can't in good conscience vote for someone who is an unelected incumbent who refuses to participate in public debates and town halls. It is very telling and makes me think her health and mind aren't fit to lead the state.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
In other news, a dead man has 1% of the vote.

That is unbelievable and really needs to be a much bigger story than it is. Thats just embarassing because if somehow Battle closes the gap as the rest of the North AL votes come in, the votes that went to the dead guy could be a huge tipping point.

Back