• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2020 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad ol' Donny takes mask wearing so seriously.

Thank goodness his investigation has exposed someone maskless and in such close proximity to the executive in chief. Keep up the good work Mr. President!

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
The Dems have spent a whole lot of money in Alabama on Doug Jones TV ads. I'm not sure why they are doing this. Alabama is a deep red state and even though Tubby is no Jeff Sessions... he's certainly not a Roy Moore either. Why are they running so many ads? Is there even a slight chance Jones can upset Tubbs?

Evan

Reaction score
The Dems have spent a whole lot of money in Alabama on Doug Jones TV ads. I'm not sure why they are doing this. Alabama is a deep red state and even though Tubby is no Jeff Sessions... he's certainly not a Roy Moore either. Why are they running so many ads? Is there even a slight chance Jones can upset Tubbs?

No. It may very well be closer than many people expect (I'm thinking 7-10 point victory for Tubs and that may be giving Jones too much credit), but there's no chance Jones can beat Tubby barring some kind of extreme event between now and election day that causes a good chunk of the GOP base not to vote.

Evan

Reaction score
Amy Coney Barrett has been confirmed. I'm very torn on how I feel about this. Part of me is understandably thrilled. The other part has grave concerns about where that leads.

Justice Coney Barrett is unquestionably qualified, but the way the last two Supreme Court nominations have gone leads me to believe that future ones will be extremely caustic events that expose deep divisions in our country's society and body politic.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
So I am considering voting for Jones instead of Tuberville... I can't stand his (Jones) position on abortion but I think he is a decent advocate for Alabama and knows how to work within the political system to try and get things done. Tuberville to me is primarily an opportunist that has no vision or original thought outside of walking lockstep with whatever Trump says. I have mentioned this to a couple of friends and they have raked me over the coals on the abortion issue, telling me if I voted for Jones then I would be giving my approval to murdering babies. But what really have the Repubs done to eliminate/reduce abortions outside of lip service? Don't you think a couple years ago when they had the House, Senate, and Oval Office they would have been aggressively pursuing legislation on this if it really meant as much as they say it does? Anyone else on here who considers themselves conservative or independent, contemplating voting for Jones?

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
So I am considering voting for Jones instead of Tuberville... I can't stand his (Jones) position on abortion but I think he is a decent advocate for Alabama and knows how to work within the political system to try and get things done. Tuberville to me is primarily an opportunist that has no vision or original thought outside of walking lockstep with whatever Trump says. I have mentioned this to a couple of friends and they have raked me over the coals on the abortion issue, telling me if I voted for Jones then I would be giving my approval to murdering babies. But what really have the Repubs done to eliminate/reduce abortions outside of lip service? Don't you think a couple years ago when they had the House, Senate, and Oval Office they would have been aggressively pursuing legislation on this if it really meant as much as they say it does? Anyone else on here who considers themselves conservative or independent, contemplating voting for Jones?
I’m not sure if I’ll vote for Jones, but I definitely won’t vote for Tuberville. When your entire platform is “I love Donald Trump”, you won’t be getting my vote. I’d like for someone to ask him what he plans to do in office if Trump loses the election.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I don’t really know what the senate can do to outlaw abortion. It seems to be a settled issue in the Supreme Court. The best bet is likely to find the senator you think will enact the programs to minimize abortion.

I’m sorry somebody raked you over the coals about that. Vote for Tuberville if you want. Vote for Jones if you want. It’s your right.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I've already voted and I voted Doug Jones.

gangstonc

Reaction score

Evan

Reaction score

So, as several people have mentioned, I will definitely not be voting for Tuberville. I voted for Jones in the special election a couple of years ago due to the unique threat I think Roy Moore posed to Alabama. At the time, I considered it a one-time "make a point to the Alabama GOP" type of vote. Similar to how I voted for Obama in 2008 because of Palin knowing that my vote wouldn't really matter. I voted for Romney in 2012.

I did, however, know that Doug Jones had a strong chance of beating Roy Moore, so in the end it was somewhat different of a vote than my vote for Obama even though my overall strategy to "send a message" was the same. I, too, have struggled mightily with the fact that Jones strongly supports abortion. Mike S can tell you he and I have had many conversations about this exact topic. Nonetheless, even though I had never planned to vote for Doug Jones to have a full six year term, I am planning to vote for him in a few days.

I am fairly certain that Biden will win the upcoming election. I have zero doubt that Democrats will win the House. Restricting abortion is a dead issue at least for the next 2-4 years. I think Doug Jones has done a good job as Senator. He's tried to incorporate the views of Alabama voters while not abandoning his own views, and I think he's walked that line fairly well. I have several core disagreements with Jones outside of abortion. Gun rights being one of the major issues. However, Trump opened the door to the Executive branch sharply curtailing the 2A via executive fiat, so I don't know that legislation is the coming issue for gun owners.

Ultimately, I cannot support Tuberville, and I think Jones has been a middle-of-the-road type of Senator. We need more of those. I would have more sympathy for the abortion argument if the same people saying their vote hangs on that issue didn't love Donald Trump. There was zero evidence in 2015/2016 that he'd push a single Pro-Life policy. He has addressed abortion in a few minor ways, but we all know at heart that Donald Trump has zero personal qualms about abortion. So, how can anyone vote for him or support him, when anything he's done to help the Pro-Life cause has simply been minor pandering at best. The harm he's caused to the Pro-Life movement, due to his character defects and abhorrent behavior, more than offsets the minute policy wins he's delivered to those of us who are Pro-Life.

Just my thoughts...

Jacob

Reaction score
Just from a numbers perspective, it'll be real interesting to see how the polls fair this year. Is there actually a "shy Trump vote", and if there is will it be enough to swing any states? Are Texas and Georgia truly purple/toss ups this race?

I wish I just didn't care about the outcome and could watch it unfold just from a neutral observer's position.

Kory

Reaction score
University of Alabama freshman has been selected by the Republican Party to serve as an electoral college member for the state of Georgia.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Well... At least Trump never wore a tan suit. He might of gotten some serious heat for that.

Flashback:
Boy I bet this guy was really steamed at Trump for his lack of professionalism.

Oh, wait...

Jacob

Reaction score
Well it is election morning, what does everybody think happens today? Safe money is obviously on Biden. Here's my guess at what I think will happen.

1xLJP.png

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think Biden wins the popular vote something like 53-44.

Even Rasmussen has Biden by 7 and they are consistently an outlier towards the right.

Jacob

Reaction score
I think Biden wins the popular vote something like 53-44.

Even Rasmussen has Biden by 7 and they are consistently an outlier towards the right.

That would certainly be a YUGE victory for Biden if he gets anywhere near 53-44. That's 2 points above the RCP poll average, and would probably be a larger EC victory than what KOD posted above.

Last Rasmussen poll I saw had it Biden 48 Trump 47. Where are you seeing Biden 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back