• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2020 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

Looking at ~190,000 US deaths so far, during summer when common respiratory infections are at their minimums.

I'm interested to see how the gang tries to twist and deflect this one. Hillary's e-mails, Benghazi, Pelosi's mask free haircut?
Perhaps they'll rationalize it by saying Trump just didn't want to cause a panic and in the next breath talk about how Biden's America is violent with drugs, murder, rape, disasters, corruption etc...

This virus was and is the kind of thing where a bit of panic is way better than ignorance and denial. It's easy to see that the tone the president has tried to consistently set has effected people's perception of the viruses dangers. I still see it today with people stating the virus doesn't exist, others asking if it's real and many more not wearing or wanting to wear a mask in a hospital because they don't understand or refuse to believe certain aspects of the circumstances.

It's frustrating that so many people took this extremely serious very early on yet a still substantial amount of people disregarded it for various reasons, one definitely being that the president wanted to "play it down" and did so for so long.

Kory

Reaction score

Looking at ~190,000 US deaths so far, during summer when common respiratory infections are at their minimums.

I'm interested to see how the gang tries to twist and deflect this one. Hillary's e-mails, Benghazi, Pelosi's mask free haircut?
Perhaps they'll rationalize it by saying Trump just didn't want to cause a panic and in the next breath talk about how Biden's America is violent with drugs, murder, rape, disasters, corruption etc...

This virus was and is the kind of thing where a bit of panic is way better than ignorance and denial. It's easy to see that the tone the president has tried to consistently set has effected people's perception of the viruses dangers. I still see it today with people stating the virus doesn't exist, others asking if it's real and many more not wearing or wanting to wear a mask in a hospital because they don't understand or refuse to believe certain aspects of the circumstances.

It's frustrating that so many people took this extremely serious very early on yet a still substantial amount of people disregarded it for various reasons, one definitely being that the president wanted to "play it down" and did so for so long.

I get it is a novel virus and the scientists don't know the epidemiology fully, but you even had the biggest medical experts in this country ACTIVELY discouraging masks during the early onset of the virus. Fauci and the Surgeon General BOTH advocated no masks during the beginning stages...perhaps not because they actually believed they were ineffective, but to prevent even further shortages of PPE. But they, verbatim, said it was ineffective for the general public. Either way, it sowed distrust between the medical community and the citizens. Pile on Trump saying it was fake and will go away, it just kept the BS going.

Fauci even said it himself, the mixed messages from the medical community were detrimental. Now, this goes back to not having a great enough stockpile of PPE and production power.

"We have to admit it, that that mixed message in the beginning, even though it was well meant to allow masks to be available for health workers, that was detrimental in getting the message across," Fauci said in an interview with Mary Louise Kelly of NPR's All Things Considered. "No doubt about it."

gangstonc

Reaction score
I get it is a novel virus and the scientists don't know the epidemiology fully, but you even had the biggest medical experts in this country ACTIVELY discouraging masks during the early onset of the virus. Fauci and the Surgeon General BOTH advocated no masks during the beginning stages...perhaps not because they actually believed they were ineffective, but to prevent even further shortages of PPE. But they, verbatim, said it was ineffective for the general public. Either way, it sowed distrust between the medical community and the citizens. Pile on Trump saying it was fake and will go away, it just kept the BS going.

Fauci even said it himself, the mixed messages from the medical community were detrimental. Now, this goes back to not having a great enough stockpile of PPE and production power.

It’s one thing to make a scientific mistake when there weren’t enough mistakes anyway.
It’s totally different to say the virus isn’t a big deal and we shouldn’t panic when we needed the truth. If he so worried about us panicking, why all this talk of caravans! Antifa!, end of the suburbs!?

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I definitely understand the whole mask supply side of it, that was a major failure from a preparation standpoint. And I agree that given the shortage the public shouldn't have been buying up masks. Sounds like if they had a good grasp on transmission then it would've been most appropriate to encourage using fabric/cloth masks in lieu of a surgical one (not that anyone could get one anyway by this point). Instead people just forwent masking all together. Back in February/early March the best way to stop spread would have been contact tracing and not masks anyway.

Evan

Reaction score
19 years ago today I was a college freshman and watched the towers fall on the TV in my dorm's common area.

I will never forget that day. I will never forget that feeling. I will never forget the many innocent victims.

I will also never forget President George W. Bush's leadership, empathy, and deep compassion for the American people during a time of crisis.

Will post more thoughts tomorrow, but today is for 9/11 and the innocent people who were lost on that horrific day.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
lol at the American media. Glad they call it right down the middle!

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president."

-Mitch Mcconnell

Kory

Reaction score
The Democrats are like every cartoon villain there is. Their best plan is often used used against them screwing them at the end of the show. Harry Reid instituted the nuclear option. Now, their solution if a vacancy in our highest court is filled, is to pack the courts? Yeah, can’t wait to see how that works out.

Evan

Reaction score
The Democrats are like every cartoon villain there is. Their best plan is often used used against them screwing them at the end of the show. Harry Reid instituted the nuclear option. Now, their solution if a vacancy in our highest court is filled, is to pack the courts? Yeah, can’t wait to see how that works out.

Harry Reid had nothing to do with the Republicans refusing to vote on or consider Garland. Harry Reid is a despicable human being who did many nakedly partisan and evil things. It was McConnell's choice, and his alone, to decide to emulate the absolute worst things that Harry Reid brought to the Senate.

The Republicans refused to consider Garland because of a supposed rule relating to confirming a justice in an election year. That was a made-up "rule" that no sane person even remotely believed. McConnell and his dishonest allies continually reference "since 1880" because there have not been that many vacancies in election years. The ones that occured in the 1800's all came from just a couple of Presidents who nominated multiple justices during major political disputes that sometimes included their old political party.

My issue is that this is going to lead to more partisanship, discord, and unrest in our nation. Not less. Of course the Democrats are saying they're going to pack the court, add states (DC, Puerto Rico, etc), and end the filibuster for legislation. Why wouldn't they? It's been tit-for-tat like this for the past 20 years. Is anyone surprised McConnell is moving to fill the vacancy even though in 2016 he constantly claimed his made-up rule blocked such appointments?

McConnell and the GOP are on record saying they have a mandate from the American people to rush through a nomination and that elections have consequences. Similarly, the Democrats will claim to have a mandate from the people to pack the court, add states/Senators, and remove the filibuster. That's why they're threatening all of this. They're casting a marker. Letting the American people and the GOP know their plans. If they take back the Senate and Presidency, they're argument will be identical to McConnell's. The American people gave them the mandate. Elections have consequences.

Neither the GOP nor the Democrats care about fairness, tradition, or precedent. It's all about the exercise of raw political power, and because we lack the forced coalitions that parliamentary style governments are forced to maintain, whichever side has the votes and the White House can simply do what they want without any consequences. Hasn't Trump proven that there's no such thing as restraint, long-term planning, or respect for compromise anymore.

The American people are getting exactly what they asked for. I no longer care. I didn't ruin our country. If both sides simply want to become more partisan and corrosive then who am I to say/do anything to stop them? It's pretty clear those of use who urge restraint, fairness, and respect for the other side are very much a minority. Let the mob rule things. I'm sure it will work out incredibly well for our fledgling country that is ridden with debt and lacks a shared purpose and identity.

It's all so very childish. It's all an excuse for poor leadership and vacuous morals.

gangstonc

Reaction score
They are basically bad at politics.

Evan

Reaction score
They're about to turn on Mitt Romney. Few people draw as much fire from both sides as Mitt does. 3/4s of Trumpers were convinced he was going to sell-out to the Democrats on a SCOTUS nominee. Now that he didn't do so, all those people lauding Romney for voting to convict Trump are about to go back to calling him a scumbag and other insults.

What I don't understand is how people think confirming a justice before the election is helpful to Trump. Please do. Then I can vote for Biden knowing that there's a 6-3 majority on the court, gun rights will be protected, abortion can be given a new focus, and the regulatory state can be curtailed.

The only argument people had for not voting for Biden was that he might get to appoint several replacement justices. Heck, if Trump loses why can't the GOP go ahead and nominate a replacement for Thomas in the lame duck session? The idea that Biden is going to push a bunch of left-wing policy is absurd considering his past history. But let's say he does -- we have a 6-3 majority on the court. They can block anything that is Unconstitutional or that goes too far. That's pretty good protection against a future that some people see as too unpredictable.

At this point, how can anyone justify voting for Trump? The focus should be on the next generation of GOP leaders -- and hopefully they will abandon Trumpism and those who enabled Trump.

Evan

Reaction score
Very odd that the GOP investigation of Hunter Biden was released 41 days before the election when they've had 5-6 years to investigate the guy. What coincidental timing! I guess when God is on your side such things just occur fortuitously -- no way the GOP timed this for political reasons.

It's also quite an odd coincidence that even though the Senate committee voted to release the "report" and witness transcripts together, the GOP only released the report itself. I wonder why that is? Why would they not want the American public to be able to read the full context and complete interview transcripts of the people they quote in their report? Surely they're not trying to quote people out of context or manipulate what witnesses actually said. Again, no way the GOP would do something like this for political purposes.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Dr. Fauci just schooled Dr. Rand Paul on virus immunity in a Senate hearing today. I wonder where Paul got his medical from and how long he's been separated from practice.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
No promise for a peaceful transition of power... a call for throwing away ballots.... we don't live in a constitutional democratic republic anymore. We live in a banana republic with a 3rd world wannabe dictator.

Evan

Reaction score
No promise for a peaceful transition of power... a call for throwing away ballots.... we don't live in a constitutional democratic republic anymore. We live in a banana republic with a 3rd world wannabe dictator.

You didn't mention Hillary's email server or Benghazi. Checkmate, lib.

Evan

Reaction score
Bill Barr is using the DOJ to try to put his thumb on the scale and influence our election. Unprecedented.

If people are not aware of what I'm referring to, look up the Pennsylvania ballot scandal. Trump knew about it this morning long before the DOJ press release. Why would that happen unless Barr is playing a dangerous game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back