• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

2020 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Anyone agree that Pelosi acted like an idiot yesterday handing out pens when signing the articles of impeachment? Felt like a party rather than the significant historical moment that it was. I don't like her, maybe that is showing through.

Washington Post article outlining the pen handout.

Impeachment of our leader is never funny or something to be made light ....no matter who the leader has been or is....to act like this shows how hateful this woman is, I don’t think she cares about justice, I think she just hates Trump...

gangstonc

Reaction score
Anyone agree that Pelosi acted like an idiot yesterday handing out pens when signing the articles of impeachment? Felt like a party rather than the significant historical moment that it was. I don't like her, maybe that is showing through.

Washington Post article outlining the pen handout.
She's done a pretty good job remaining somber and portraying the gravity of what is going on until now. It was a HORRIBLE move. Very embarrassing for her.

I don't know if she is out to get Trump because she doesn't like him (she doesn't), or because there is so much to get him for (there is).

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don't know if she is out to get Trump because she doesn't like him (she doesn't), or because there is so much to get him for (there is).
That is the best description ever!

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This just gets better and better everyday.

Evan

Reaction score
Omg this Twitter thread.

See, having Gus Malzahn as your head coach isn't all bad. I'll never have to worry about Auburn making a trip to the White House as long as he's our coach.

Evan

Reaction score
This just gets better and better everyday.

Trump's claim he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose support has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Banning vaping will probably cost him more votes than any of the crimes he's committed, his history of sexual harassment, or his unhinged everyday behavior.

I have been intrigued by cults since I was a kid and heard about Jim Jones and Jonestown. Since then I have consistently studied cults, and have spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours researching cults, what makes people susceptible to their influence, in-depth stories by survivors, and a host of other material.

A significant chunk of the United States has fallen under the sway of a personality cult. I don't think the majority are true believers. There's plenty who simply use the true-believers to grift. And, even more who are simply scared of the cult turning on them thus they play along. The problem, however, is that even top leadership of the cult can speak out and leave, and it rarely has any impact on the remaining adherents. It usually takes a powerful unforeseen event or an authority more powerful than the cult leader to strip the cult leader of their "aura" of invincibility and power.

Short of that powerful event or more powerful authority, the spell adherents find themselves under is nearly impossible to break. Criticism, allegations, and even direct confrontation with convincing evidence does little other than convince adherents that they and their leader are being persecuted.

Perversely, it actually makes them believe that their leader is even more powerful and special, and solidifies their belief that they too are special and have been chosen to defend their leader. Humans by nature, as evidenced in a number of recent studies, tend to double-down when a strongly held belief is being contested. Furthermore, they then seek out information that agrees with their already held position or belief. And, even if that information is dubious or implausible, it serves to strongly reinforce their preexisting beliefs.

It's why the grifters and propaganda media outlets are so integral to Trump's resiliency and power. It's also a wholly symbiotic relationship. They gain a monetary benefit by serving up preposterous justifications for Trump's behavior, and the consumers of their material get the psychological reinforcement they need to continue believing.

This Tweet has a link to a good article in the New Yorker that describes some of this phenomenon. Now, imagine that instead of your average human who already has these biases you're dealing with a cult member who is essentially already brainwashed.

I mention all of this in response to your tweet because we long ago moved past the "who am I going to believe, Trump or my lying eyes?" stage of things. This video would be damning to Trump supporters if it were about any non-Trump affiliated person. But, because it is someone with a Trump affiliation, in particular the Dear Leader himself, it will come up against an impenetrable and immovable force of psychological defense mechanisms that reason, facts, or evidence cannot make even the slightest dent in.

Harkening back to my statement about how dethroning a cult leader requires a powerful event or authority more powerful than the cult leader, let me pose a question to all. Who is more powerful than or even equal to the President of the United States? You might say God, but we've already seen that a huge portion of Christians have forsaken the teachings of Christ in lieu of supporting Donald Trump.

What physical earth-dwelling entity is as powerful or authoritative as the President of the United States? It's supposed to be our Congress and/or the Judiciary. Thus far, they've shown themselves to be wholly incapable of rising to the moment and properly asserting the checks and balances delegated to them by our Constitution.

In sum, I don't have much hope that Trump will ever be held accountable. It's not that impeachment isn't the proper institution for this moment in time -- it's simply that those tasked with its execution lack the wisdom, courage, foresight, and character necessary to wield its authority in the manner required.

Thus, it falls to we the people to do the job our elected Representatives have failed to do. It's simply not an option to forego voting this November. I'm not asking anyone to vote for a candidate they do not support or believe in. Write someone in. Vote for a sane independent. But make sure the final tally reflects an overwhelming and humiliating defeat for Donald J. Trump. Because, if we don't, the alternative is a Trump even more emboldened than he's been before, institutions powerless to combat his daily whims and tantrums, and a cult leader with an even stronger grip on his flock. If that doesn't make you feel nauseated then nothing can.

It doesn't matter if you agree with some of Trump's policies or if you think the Democrats are insane (which many apparently are). It's about the legitimacy of our system of government and the future of our nation. It can be easy to forget, but the Democrats are actually worse at getting legislation passed than Republicans, and the GOP's expertise at obstruction is unrivaled by any other political party on earth.

Reactions: KoD

Evan

Reaction score
This ranks up there with flag pins and 57 states on things to get worked up over.

You're forgetting Obama's tan suit. That's the unforgivable crime that always gets ignored by those fretting about trivial things like turning American troops into mercenaries or the President of the United States trying to bribe and blackmail a foreign ally so they'll create a fake investigation into his political rival.

Priorities, my man. I honestly don't know how anyone can still consider Congress to be a legitimate institution when they failed to impeach Obama for his fashion crimes.

ARCC

Reaction score
Trump's claim he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose support has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Banning vaping will probably cost him more votes than any of the crimes he's committed, his history of sexual harassment, or his unhinged everyday behavior.

I have been intrigued by cults since I was a kid and heard about Jim Jones and Jonestown. Since then I have consistently studied cults, and have spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours researching cults, what makes people susceptible to their influence, in-depth stories by survivors, and a host of other material.

A significant chunk of the United States has fallen under the sway of a personality cult. I don't think the majority are true believers. There's plenty who simply use the true-believers to grift. And, even more who are simply scared of the cult turning on them thus they play along. The problem, however, is that even top leadership of the cult can speak out and leave, and it rarely has any impact on the remaining adherents. It usually takes a powerful unforeseen event or an authority more powerful than the cult leader to strip the cult leader of their "aura" of invincibility and power.

Short of that powerful event or more powerful authority, the spell adherents find themselves under is nearly impossible to break. Criticism, allegations, and even direct confrontation with convincing evidence does little other than convince adherents that they and their leader are being persecuted.

Perversely, it actually makes them believe that their leader is even more powerful and special, and solidifies their belief that they too are special and have been chosen to defend their leader. Humans by nature, as evidenced in a number of recent studies, tend to double-down when a strongly held belief is being contested. Furthermore, they then seek out information that agrees with their already held position or belief. And, even if that information is dubious or implausible, it serves to strongly reinforce their preexisting beliefs.

It's why the grifters and propaganda media outlets are so integral to Trump's resiliency and power. It's also a wholly symbiotic relationship. They gain a monetary benefit by serving up preposterous justifications for Trump's behavior, and the consumers of their material get the psychological reinforcement they need to continue believing.

This Tweet has a link to a good article in the New Yorker that describes some of this phenomenon. Now, imagine that instead of your average human who already has these biases you're dealing with a cult member who is essentially already brainwashed.

I mention all of this in response to your tweet because we long ago moved past the "who am I going to believe, Trump or my lying eyes?" stage of things. This video would be damning to Trump supporters if it were about any non-Trump affiliated person. But, because it is someone with a Trump affiliation, in particular the Dear Leader himself, it will come up against an impenetrable and immovable force of psychological defense mechanisms that reason, facts, or evidence cannot make even the slightest dent in.

Harkening back to my statement about how dethroning a cult leader requires a powerful event or authority more powerful than the cult leader, let me pose a question to all. Who is more powerful than or even equal to the President of the United States? You might say God, but we've already seen that a huge portion of Christians have forsaken the teachings of Christ in lieu of supporting Donald Trump.

What physical earth-dwelling entity is as powerful or authoritative as the President of the United States? It's supposed to be our Congress and/or the Judiciary. Thus far, they've shown themselves to be wholly incapable of rising to the moment and properly asserting the checks and balances delegated to them by our Constitution.

In sum, I don't have much hope that Trump will ever be held accountable. It's not that impeachment isn't the proper institution for this moment in time -- it's simply that those tasked with its execution lack the wisdom, courage, foresight, and character necessary to wield its authority in the manner required.

Thus, it falls to we the people to do the job our elected Representatives have failed to do. It's simply not an option to forego voting this November. I'm not asking anyone to vote for a candidate they do not support or believe in. Write someone in. Vote for a sane independent. But make sure the final tally reflects an overwhelming and humiliating defeat for Donald J. Trump. Because, if we don't, the alternative is a Trump even more emboldened than he's been before, institutions powerless to combat his daily whims and tantrums, and a cult leader with an even stronger grip on his flock. If that doesn't make you feel nauseated then nothing can.

It doesn't matter if you agree with some of Trump's policies or if you think the Democrats are insane (which many apparently are). It's about the legitimacy of our system of government and the future of our nation. It can be easy to forget, but the Democrats are actually worse at getting legislation passed than Republicans, and the GOP's expertise at obstruction is unrivaled by any other political party on earth.

I don't think it's exactly cultish, but more along the lines that men want a king. Obama was so praised and admired by his side, the right wanted someone to be the same for them except the GOP threw up a bunch of same old same story politicians, a couple of people who were likeable but had no electability and fire filled, speak what I want different type Trump so people clung to him.

Men want a king, it's somewhere in side of them and unless they have one in one way or another they act it out. Doesn't say much for us Christians however. That said, Trump is just the beginning. If he does beat the pitiful democrat candidate, wait until what they throw at us in 2024.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

Men want a king, it's somewhere in side of them and unless they have one in one way or another they act it out. Doesn't say much for us Christians however. That said, Trump is just the beginning. If he does beat the pitiful democrat candidate, wait until what they throw at us in 2024.
That will be Trump running for his 3rd term, physical health permitting... (yes that is not supposed to be Constitutional but by then, Trump will have beat that down to a tattered rag) or he will have handpicked one of his kids (Don Jr. or Ivanka... not Eric) for the cult-lemmings to exalt for his throne.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Trump still claims to not know Parnas. This guy seems to have the goods.

text messages in today’s tranche show Nunes was even further involved than we knew before. There’s basically no way for Nunes to talk his way outnof this now.

Attachments

• 9CCE5D64-0847-4D0D-A394-526A1119C3D2.png
    9CCE5D64-0847-4D0D-A394-526A1119C3D2.png
    732.9 KB · Views: 0

Evan

Reaction score
But...they're all dead from suicide!?!?

Kory

Reaction score
Imagine if you will a blackface wearing racist who advocates for literal murder declaring a state of emergency because law abiding citizens want to exercise a CONSTITUTIONAL right. Seems like something out a dystopian twilight zone, but it's just a Democratically run Virginia in the United States.

I also love the media coverage of this. Someone explain that why when participants of the women's march hold vulgar signs and wear genitalia hats whilst spewing hate toward men, it's called empowerment? Or when climate change activists block traffic, sometimes emergency response vehicles, and then twerk all the in streets, that's called saving the planet? But, when gun rights activitists just want to exercise their rights and express disgust at an infringement in civil rights, it's dangerous and hateful. I've already seen the headlines..."far-right" or "extremists" have been in the headlines with comparisons to Charlottsville. It's yet example #59896346 why the media are untrustworthy and truly bottom feeding amoeba.

Kory

Reaction score
I’m sure the mainstream media will only show inside the fences...reports that’s tens of thousands are already packed in the streets.

Kory

Reaction score
Umm, that’s the pledge of allegiance.

Color me shocked...NBC reporter tweets incorrect info in an attempt to disparage a quite peaceful protest.

Last edited:

Kory

Reaction score
It’s accurate how the Babylon Bee matches some of the leftist media twitter pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back