• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kory

Reaction score
I assume this is about guns?
More of the right to own private, legally owned property but yeah those fall under that. It’s more of the precedent this would set.

What politician thinks he has the right to force someone to sell their private property? This wouldn’t fall under eminent domain. It’s not going to be for public use.

Where does this stop? We want to combat climate change? Sorry, the government is forcing you to sell you legally bought and owned car. Wanna combat homelessness? Sorry, the forcing you to sell your house and they’re going to build multi family units and you’ll just have to deal with it.

I wish those were extreme examples but one of the 2020 candidates (Yang) DID actually propose a car buyback program. Not sure if it was mandatory as Beta’s program would be. But what would stop the government if the precedent is set for this?

gangstonc

Reaction score
More of the right to own private, legally owned property but yeah those fall under that. It’s more of the precedent this would set.

What politician thinks he has the right to force someone to sell their private property? This wouldn’t fall under eminent domain. It’s not going to be for public use.

Where does this stop? We want to combat climate change? Sorry, the government is forcing you to sell you legally bought and owned car. Wanna combat homelessness? Sorry, the forcing you to sell your house and they’re going to build multi family units and you’ll just have to deal with it.

I wish those were extreme examples but one of the 2020 candidates (Yang) DID actually propose a car buyback program. Not sure if it was mandatory as Beta’s program would be. But what would stop the government if the precedent is set for this?
Imminent domain.

gangstonc

Reaction score
That wouldn’t work as I previously stated in my response. What would be the public use in this case?

But at this point, it honestly wouldn’t shock me if the next president shreds the Bill of Rights.

They could do something goofy like say they are for training the police which is a public use. Not saying it’s rigjt, just saying their are are congressional lawyers that can twist anything.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

Embellishes the truth but the premise is true. Drunk driving, hit a truck traveling in the same direction & tried to flee but was stopped by a witness before doing so.
I think he finished off his run when he said he'd going after citizens AR-15s. That kind of thing only appeals to the far left (afaik) & gives the Republicans ammo to use against the Democrats. I don't see this guy being able to work across the isle but that's a big ask anyway. "It's my way or the highway" will continue as long as the filibuster is abused by both parties.

Evan

Reaction score
Embellishes the truth but the premise is true. Drunk driving, hit a truck traveling in the same direction & tried to flee but was stopped by a witness before doing so.
I think he finished off his run when he said he'd going after citizens AR-15s. That kind of thing only appeals to the far left (afaik) & gives the Republicans ammo to use against the Democrats. I don't see this guy being able to work across the isle but that's a big ask anyway. "It's my way or the highway" will continue as long as the filibuster is abused by both parties.

Yep. It was a really stupid move. I think even most moderate Democrats find the idea of forcibly taking something from someone's home against their will to be quite distasteful.

Plus, and I'm just being honest, the Democratic plan was always to do things slowly and in small increments. They wanted to lull gun owners to sleep. The old "frog boiling in water" fable, in which you just slowly increase the heat and the frog doesn't notice, was always their long-term template for gun control.

Beto decided to say the quiet part out loud, and because of that he seriously hurt bipartisan efforts on gun control (which I'm happy to see, TBH).

I know a lot of moderate Democrats. Especially in the South. Every single one of them reacted exactly as you have and said it was a very bad (dumb) move.

Evan

Reaction score

I don't know if you know much about Benny Johnson, but give him a bit of Googling. I think after you do, you'll agree with me that he should be put in a catapult and launched into outer space. He's a grifter par excellence.

I've no issue with his tweet here -- just an issue with Benny as a person. You'll see what I mean. :eek:

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Anxiously awaiting to see Trump's forecast for Tropical Storm Humberto track and it's potential effect for Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back