• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan

Reaction score
Never forget one of the darkest days in American history. One that changed the world as we knew it. Time has been measured by it ever since.

I read that article this morning. Very poignant and moving. I had tears in my eyes. I cannot imagine what the families of 9/11 victims go through on this date every single year.

The article also evinces a deep anger within me. Because today is 9/11, I will leave the explanation of my anger for tomorrow. I don't wish to soil their memories by mentioning the object of my ire.

Evan

Reaction score

It's really no surprise that Trump wanted to meet with the Tailban at Camp David. I think he's a bit of a fan of theirs after they helped him regain the prestige of having the tallest building in lower Manhattan again.

And don't tell me that Trump didn't say what he said in the video. There have been retrospective interviews with David Marcus (guy doing the interview) who was a friend of Trump's, and he said that he was absolutely shocked when Trump said what he did, but that it absolutely fits with who Trump is. All these years later he maintains that Trump meant exactly what he said. It was a spontaneous utterance, but Trump's favorite thing is himself, and his favorite topic is himself. So, naturally, instead of thinking about the employees of his building that the anchor asked about, the victims on the plane or in the WTC, Trump's mind is laser focused on how he's going to benefit from 9/11.

I didn't want to besmirch the 9/11 victims yesterday by discussing Trump's uncouth and ego-centric reaction to the loss of the WTC. At any event remembering or memorializing 9/11, Trump always focuses on his supposed contributions to the search & rescue, recovery efforts, and unsubstantiated monetary donations that no one has ever been able to verify that he made. Normal, decent, sane individuals don't do that. Especially not leaders or heroes that risked their health or lives, and put others first. Heroes from 9/11, and those in our military that have sacrificed life, limb, or mind, almost always go out of their way to downplay their own efforts and sacrifices. They refrain from embracing their heroism, and frequently laud others' contributions instead of their own. That's real leadership. That's real sacrifice.

9/11 first responders and combat veterans would've been dishonored if the Taliban had been allowed into our country to meet our President and political leaders. That Trump would've even contemplated this, especially something as prestigious as a Camp David summit, shows an utter disregard for the sacrifice made by so many after 9/11, and a self-centered callousness that continues to envelop and darken his Presidency.

How many victims died on 9/11 due to the Tailban's sheltering of Al-Qaida, and the monetary, material, and physical support they gave to Al-Qaida's operations, training, and planning apparatus? How many American boys and men had their lives ended by a Taliban bullet in the mountains or valleys of Afghanistan? How many were maimed or permanently scarred -- both physically and mentally -- by the Taliban's cowardly usage of suicide bombers and IEDs?

I know that Donald Trump is self-centered and consumed with the legacy of his own name. But, I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt as it pertains to diplomatic efforts with Iran, NK, and other enemies. He quickly made it apparent that he was going to pursue a very unorthodox strategy with NK, one that I don't believe will bear fruit, but I have trusted that his goal was to mitigate the threat of a nuclear NK. However, the abject failure of previous NK summits, along with NK's continued missile testing, his proposal for a Camp David summit with the Tailban, and the now reported diplomatic efforts to reduce sanctions on Iran in exchange for talks, has left me with no other option than to believe Trump's most strident critics. His foreign policy isn't about pursuing what's in the best interests of our country, or an attempt to make a lasting peace with our most bellicose enemies. Instead, it's about "doing deals" as Trump is so fond of saying, with an eye on the upcoming election, and an ultimate goal of securing the "Trump" legacy and namesake.

You cannot continue to support this, Matt. You know it's the wrong approach to defending our country's national security and defeating our enemies. Whether it has been Russia, China, NK, Iran, or the Taliban, you know that Trump's efforts have yet to bear fruit. In fact, they've weakened our position substantially in the near-term, and have given our enemies leverage to use in making "deals" that primarily benefit their own interests as they know Trump is desperate for accomplishments before the 2020 election. Wake up, brother. You know we're headed down the wrong path on foreign policy. We rightly criticized Obama's weak-kneed diplomacy and Trump is doubling down on that same approach. Inviting the Taliban to Camp David isn't an audacious effort to achieve peace -- it's reckless foolishness.

Matt

Reaction score
How did the Republicans win NC 09 Tuesday night ? The dem was up 17 points. At least that is what the polls said ?

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
How did the Republicans win NC 09 Tuesday night ? The dem was up 17 points. At least that is what the polls said ?
What poll were you looking at? Every poll that I saw had either the R or the D winning by 1 percent. The better question is how did he only win by that margin when Trump carried the state by 12%? Trump and Pence both went to NC to stump for him, and he barely won. Trump is toast in the next election.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Flynn didn't plead guilty to being an agent of Russia.

Over six months after the Russian agent investigation was closed, Rosenstein asked Mueller to investigate four other allegations against Flynn.

Further, the article claims he was exonerated from collusion with Russia. He was charged with lying to the FBI. Flynn wouldn't be entitled to discovery about collusion. The memo is meaningless to the case.

Last edited:

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed that radiology results from CT and MRI scans since 2019 began to show how much radiation the patient was exposed to. I don't know if this is the result of legislation or a move by the hospitals but it's nice to see it displayed. I don't think there's a problem with unnecessarily radiating patients.. it's discussed when patients "demand" these scans. But it may not always be, and this is a good way to keep it fresh in everyone's mind that there is ionizing radiation involved in the diagnostic imaging quest for answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back