• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan

Reaction score
You don't have to answer, but why are you in Colombia? More specifically, why are you in a Columbian military facility? Did I miss something?

My wife is Colombian so we travel to Colombia fairly often. We actually got married in Colombia, and our honeymoon was in Venezuela (2007, so it was well over a decade ago).

My brother-in-law got married this past weekend, so we are in Colombia because we attended his wedding. My father-in-law is a veteran suboficial (NCO) of the Colombian Air Force. He always books rooms for us at the Club de Suboficiales whenever we visit Colombia. In fact, our wedding reception back in 2007 was held at the Club de Suboficiales

The Club de Suboficiales is a military facility for retired Suboficiales, but active duty Colombian military operate it and provide heavy security as any military or police facility in Colombia is a target for left-wing guerrillas. Attacks against military and police facilities in urban areas are quite rare these day, compared to 15-20 years ago, but they still occur, and the recent car bomb attack against the national police was one of the worst ever. That attack was committed by ELN.

ELN is a violent left-wing group (they and the FARC are revolutionary communist groups that have embraced terrorism and drug trafficking to bring about their desired form of government) that has been trying to overthrow the government of Colombia for decades. They now have very strong ties to Maduro's government. Lots of recent intel and research shows that Maduro's government allows ELN to have free reign in large swaths of Venezuela and that ELN and Maduro's government traffic drugs together. Additionally, ELN provides "security" in areas in which the Venezuelan government has a limited presence, and as a result commits atrocities against rural residents that don't support Maduro's regime or disagree with drug trafficking.

So, any regime change in Venezuela would be a bad thing for the ELN, and they definitely don't want Colombia or the Colombian military back to working with a friendly Venezuela again. So, if they have to blow up some buildings or do other acts of violence to intimidate Colombia or its government they will do so. Maduro would also be very thankful that they did so.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
I did not say you did. What did you think about the first quarter GDP of 3.2% ? Not bad eh ?
You did not say it, but you implied it. I’m sure you realize your faux pas now, though. As far as the GDP goes, that’s pretty good. Personally, I’d happily trade away economic growth for a better President (apparently I don’t need my retirement to grow as rapidly as you since you always bring up people’s 401k’s).
Shouldn’t you be in Germany looking for the birthplace of Donald’s father?

Matt

Reaction score
You did not say it, but you implied it. I’m sure you realize your faux pas now, though. As far as the GDP goes, that’s pretty good. Personally, I’d happily trade away economic growth for a better President (apparently I don’t need my retirement to grow as rapidly as you since you always bring up people’s 401k’s).
Shouldn’t you be in Germany looking for the birthplace of Donald’s father?

It was not implied at all. My 401K is doing quite well. We "have" a good president. Sorry to hear you don't think so!

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Alabama House just passed an anti abortion bill. The discussion was pretty heated at times but it passed with little opposition. The Governor of Tennessee will allow a mobile sports betting bill to pass without his signature. It will take effect in July.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Trumps.

"The poverty rate for Wisconsin families has reached the lowest rate in 22 years."

"the mother meets with the doctor. They take care of the baby, they wrap the baby beautifully. And then the doctor and the mother determine whether or not they will execute the baby."

"Puerto Rico got 91 Billion Dollars for the hurricane, more money than has ever been gotten for a hurricane before."

"The FBI said (former national security adviser Michael Flynn) wasn't lying."

There’s a few doozies from this month.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Do you really believe Mueller would stay silent if Barr was misrepresenting His(Mueller's) report ? Guess who is helping Barr with the redactions ?

Matt, you are going to have to start dealing in real facts, not alternative facts. Trump is scum and Barr is protecting him.

We need to see this letter to find out what the truth is.

Last edited:

Kory

Reaction score
Trumps.

"The poverty rate for Wisconsin families has reached the lowest rate in 22 years."

"the mother meets with the doctor. They take care of the baby, they wrap the baby beautifully. And then the doctor and the mother determine whether or not they will execute the baby."

"Puerto Rico got 91 Billion Dollars for the hurricane, more money than has ever been gotten for a hurricane before."

"The FBI said (former national security adviser Michael Flynn) wasn't lying."

There’s a few doozies from this month.
Don’t forget.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
It was not implied at all. My 401K is doing quite well. We "have" a good president. Sorry to hear you don't think so!
I humbly apologize for misinterpreting your intentions. So that I may know how to properly reply, why did you keyboard-shout “No obstruction! No collusion!” at me if not out of belief that I felt he was guilty of such?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120