• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Reaction score
"Shall not be infringed"

What does need or purpose have to do with it? I could pick any firearm accessory and need or purpose have nothing to do with it.

You're missing my point. What are they used for? And I don't believe a bump stock is a firearm. It is an accessory.

Evan

Reaction score

Evan

Reaction score
You're missing my point. What are they used for? And I don't believe a bump stock is a firearm. It is an accessory.

They're used to make bump firing easier or more consistent.

Evan

Reaction score

I'll add, of course bump stocks are not firearms. That's why so many people are very worried about this precedent. Since you also believe it isn't a firearm, don't you think Trump did something unconstitutional when he signed an executive order that forces DOJ to classify them as a firearm?

There's nothing that prevents a future President from banning any accessory, magazine, or firearm using the same method. It was a colossal screw up by Trump.

Jacob

Reaction score
This made me chuckle.

Thought my thoughts on the subject closely mirror what Evan said a few posts back.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I don't like Northam. His defense of abortion is abominable. I'm certainly not going to defend his racist yearbook page. But, I'll issue the same warning to the GOP that many in the GOP tried to issue to the Democrats during Kavanaugh: dredging up people's past from 35 years ago, and imposing standards that don't allow for anyone to have ever made a mistake, will not work our favorably in the end.

That said, Northam's case is especially egregious. He was in medical school. He certainly should've known better. Youth isn't really a relevant excuse for Northam. How could anyone in that age range not realize the inappropriateness of that kind of dress and behavior?

I understand the whole concept of "now they have to play by their own rules" but that's a poor substitute for actual fairness or a set standard. It's a truly loathsome picture. Northam and his party will have to decide if he's going to continue to be the Governor in Virginia. I think every one of these types of cases should be handled individually since there are always different facts, different histories, etc. In other words, context, patterns of behavior, time elapsed, etc should be criteria.

Personally, I have a hard time with social justice mobs devouring people - - even if it is someone I do not like, and have no use for, like Ralph Northam.
I see what you are saying, but i think this is dumb enough and insensitive enough for him to step aside.

Arcadia

Reaction score
I don't like Northam. His defense of abortion is abominable. I'm certainly not going to defend his racist yearbook page. But, I'll issue the same warning to the GOP that many in the GOP tried to issue to the Democrats during Kavanaugh: dredging up people's past from 35 years ago, and imposing standards that don't allow for anyone to have ever made a mistake, will not work our favorably in the end.

That said, Northam's case is especially egregious. He was in medical school. He certainly should've known better. Youth isn't really a relevant excuse for Northam. How could anyone in that age range not realize the inappropriateness of that kind of dress and behavior?

I understand the whole concept of "now they have to play by their own rules" but that's a poor substitute for actual fairness or a set standard. It's a truly loathsome picture. Northam and his party will have to decide if he's going to continue to be the Governor in Virginia. I think every one of these types of cases should be handled individually since there are always different facts, different histories, etc. In other words, context, patterns of behavior, time elapsed, etc should be criteria.

Personally, I have a hard time with social justice mobs devouring people - - even if it is someone I do not like, and have no use for, like Ralph Northam.

I can't argue with this. It's the intelligent, reasonable, and responsible thing to do. It's what one would expect the adults in the room to do. If we were living in a semi-reasonable, intelligent world and dealing with semi-responsible people on the other side. Alas, that ship sailed. So, I got my popcorn out and I'm going to watch the Democrats flail away on this one. Watching them explain how Northam's yearbook photo is okie-dokie when Kavanaugh's yearbook somehow proved he was a serial rapist will be like watching contortionists in action. Just a few months ago there were no excuses for things we did in our youth. They are going to look like hypocrites for defending him. Because they are. So, let the the strange and unnatural body posturing begin. *crunches popcorn*

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
So, I got my popcorn out and I'm going to watch the Democrats flail away on this one. Watching them explain how Northam's yearbook photo is okie-dokie when Kavanaugh's yearbook somehow proved he was a serial rapist will be like watching contortionists in action. Just a few months ago there were no excuses for things we did in our youth. They are going to look like hypocrites for defending him. Because they are. So, let the the strange and unnatural body posturing begin. *crunches popcorn*

(CNN) — A series of prominent Democrats demanded Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam's resignation on Friday
The calls came from a number of 2020 presidential candidates, members of Congress and prominent liberal organizations, all of whom said Northam's apology on the issue was not enough.

Arcadia

Reaction score
(CNN) — A series of prominent Democrats demanded Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam's resignation on Friday
The calls came from a number of 2020 presidential candidates, members of Congress and prominent liberal organizations, all of whom said Northam's apology on the issue was not enough.

After seeing the Virginia Democratic Leadership come out in defense of him, I'm surprised.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Dress up offensively = you are evil and need to resign. OUTRIGHT talks about murdering newborns = accepted in the Democrat party.

giphy.gif

this exact same thought has been on my mind.

Matt

Reaction score
I'll add, of course bump stocks are not firearms. That's why so many people are very worried about this precedent. Since you also believe it isn't a firearm, don't you think Trump did something unconstitutional when he signed an executive order that forces DOJ to classify them as a firearm?

There's nothing that prevents a future President from banning any accessory, magazine, or firearm using the same method. It was a colossal screw up by Trump.

I do not agree with Trump on this. It does set a bad precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back