Severe Weather Threat - January 8th-9th, 2024

KevinH

Reaction score
FWIW, CIPS-forecasted SHERB values via the GFS have been consistently robust over MS/AL/GA. While more classic parameters aren't showing very much over the area of interest, I still think the northward edge of the threat bears very close watching. A pretty minor difference in the amount of moisture and available energy could translate to a serious difference in the performance deeper inland, considering the wind fields at hand (sounding from East-Central AL).
View attachment 22836View attachment 22837
Interesting. Never heard of SHERB before. Something to look into.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So as far as areas impacted by next Tuesday, do we think it'll be farther north than the Gulf Coast? Personally, I still believe it'll be further north than models currently have it.
Jackson has pulled their risk area north.

Attachments

• unnamed_attachment_1 (1).png
    unnamed_attachment_1 (1).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
All of the local WFOs are also mentioning the non-thunderstorm wind threat also. Could easily see 45-50mph gusts outside of thunderstorms Monday evening and Tuesday.

Clancy

Reaction score
A couple very non-authoritative, passing observations from a generic hobbyist regarding failure modes, warm sector potential and implications.

1) A moisture wedge and/or rain shield situation seems to one of the biggest potential threat mitigators for the northern halves of MS/AL/GA.
2) Dixie tornadoes are known for often getting gnarly while riding moisture boundaries, which could be an issue depending on where the northern edge of the WS sets up.
3) Coastal crapvection could cut off northward expansion of the warm sector, and though I don't see this clearly modelled, that certainly doesn't rule it out.
4) Currently, the trends in models seem like they suggest a fast-moving QLCS from the 7th Circle.
5) If the models slow the system down like they often do, might allow for more discrete development, but who knows.

sfctd-imp.us_se.pngprateptype_cat-imp.us_se.png

Overall conclusion? I dunno *shrugs* but there's a lot of factors to juggle here, and a lot of things that could go any which way between now and next week.

JPWX

Reaction score
A couple very non-authoritative, passing observations from a generic hobbyist regarding failure modes, warm sector potential and implications.

1) A moisture wedge and/or rain shield situation seems to one of the biggest potential threat mitigators for the northern halves of MS/AL/GA.
2) Dixie tornadoes are known for often getting gnarly while riding moisture boundaries, which could be an issue depending on where the northern edge of the WS sets up.
3) Coastal crapvection could cut off northward expansion of the warm sector, and though I don't see this clearly modelled, that certainly doesn't rule it out.
4) Currently, the trends in models seem like they suggest a fast-moving QLCS from the 7th Circle.
5) If the models slow the system down like they often do, might allow for more discrete development, but who knows.

View attachment 22852View attachment 22853

Overall conclusion? I dunno *shrugs* but there's a lot of factors to juggle here, and a lot of things that could go any which way between now and next week.
Primary Threat outside of tornado potential especially with that squall line is gonna be widespread damaging winds in addition to the non-thunderstorm winds.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm curious to see how this event ends compared to the Jan 24-25th event from last year.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
 Last night’s operational Canadian and EURO were not impressed with the chances of substantial moisture advection inland into southern Alabama like the GFS. I remember they both performed better than the GFS with that regard to last year’s Jan 24-25th event.

KevinH

Reaction score
 Last night’s operational Canadian and EURO were not impressed with the chances of substantial moisture advection inland into southern Alabama like the GFS. I remember they both performed better than the GFS with that regard to last year’s Jan 24-25th event.
I keep seeing others say that models generally don’t handle moisture return in the winter very well.

Something to keep in mind and watch out for.

Clancy

Reaction score
EURO is depicting persistent coastal convection which is probably going to keep energy and moisture from moving northward if it verifies.
prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.conus.pngprateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.conus (1).pngprateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.conus (2).png

Logo 468x120
Back