Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat - January 8th-9th, 2024

Reaction score
Please post the soundings! lol

Not quite the insane hodographs I was seeing yesterday (like the one that literally went off the chart due to the strength of the winds up to 1 KM), but that's more than ample shear.

Attachments

• gfs_2024010218_159_30.25--85.25.png
    gfs_2024010218_159_30.25--85.25.png
    238 KB · Views: 0
  • gfs_2024010218_159_30.75--86.75.png
    gfs_2024010218_159_30.75--86.75.png
    245.2 KB · Views: 0

Clancy

Reaction score
18Z GFS spitting out some PDS forecast soundings in the Florida panhandle even at 09Z (3AM CST) 1/9. If the system slows down a bit (as they tend to do as they draw closer) so that front is coming through at peak heating...
Would expect the slowing trend to kick in as we approach D5-6, though I'll be interested to see if there are alterations to trough placement/intensity which can sometimes accompany that temporal shift.

JPWX

Reaction score
From my Patreon: Of more importance is the fact we could be dealing with our first significant severe weather event of 2024 as soon as next week.

What we know:

A. A strong storm system will impact a large part of the U.S. causing blizzard conditions to the north and severe weather/heavy rain to the south during the Monday thru Wednesday timeframe.

B. This system will have plenty of moisture and wind shear to work with leading to the potential for severe storms.

C. This system will have multiple hazards including heavy rainfall, flash flooding, tornadoes, large hail, and damaging winds.

What we don't know:

A. The extent and intensity of the overall severe weather/tornado threat.

B. Extent of northward progression of warm front.

Main Takeaways:

A. Everyone from Kentucky into the Deep South and along the Gulf Coast should have their severe weather preparedness plan ready. Clean out your safe rooms and just be prepared.

B. Total Rainfall forecasted during the next 7 days is between 4-6 inches along the Gulf Coast with 2-4 inch amounts across Central/North MS. While this rain is much needed, it could lead to isolated and widely scattered flash flooding issues.

Clancy

Reaction score
A. Everyone from Kentucky into the Deep South and along the Gulf Coast should have their severe weather preparedness plan ready. Clean out your safe rooms and just be prepared.
One of my New Year's resolutions was to clean out some of the old stuff in my closet. Definitely giving me a little extra motivation to get to it, haha.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There are good number of GFS and EURO ensembles with higher instability into South Alabama. On the EURO members, I see a noticeable cut off of the greater chances of 300-500 joules of CAPE around the Clanton, AL area and then the 800-1000 joules for the coastal areas (in example Mobile, AL).

Clancy

Reaction score
So as far as areas impacted by next Tuesday, do we think it'll be farther north than the Gulf Coast? Personally, I still believe it'll be further north than models currently have it.
As of this morning, SPC was being cautious about the northward extent of instability and moisture on Monday and Tuesday. Still think models aren't handling the moisture return very well, though sometimes early-season events like this get stuck on the coast. However, the system coming through this weekend looks to well up a lot of deep Gulf moisture ahead of the Mon-Tues system, which I'd have to reckon will give this system a boost.
sfctd-imp.conus (1).pngsfctd-imp.conus (2).pngsfctd-imp.conus (3).png

Clancy

Reaction score
As of this morning, SPC was being cautious about the northward extent of instability and moisture on Monday and Tuesday. Still think models aren't handling the moisture return very well, though sometimes early-season events like this get stuck on the coast. However, the system coming through this weekend looks to well up a lot of deep Gulf moisture ahead of the Mon-Tues system, which I'd have to reckon will give this system a boost.
FWIW, CIPS-forecasted SHERB values via the GFS have been consistently robust over MS/AL/GA. While more classic parameters aren't showing very much over the area of interest, I still think the northward edge of the threat bears very close watching. A pretty minor difference in the amount of moisture and available energy could translate to a serious difference in the performance deeper inland, considering the wind fields at hand (sounding from East-Central AL).
SHERBgfs212F150.pnggfs_2024010312_144_32.75--86.0.png

Back